Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu- Need some help  (Read 25241 times)

Richard

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Call of Cthulhu- Need some help
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »
Pretty much this- I'm to run a small 1-6 session game of Call of Cthulhu. I'm having the players play Delta Green friendlies who know, well, nothing. The characters are rolled up...

But here is where I'm stuck.
I don't know what to do.

I've ran a one-shot of CoC, using one of the many Haunted House scenarios a long while back.

Ideally- I'd like to run a game where they're sent to a small town to amp up the isolation, and maybe have some sort of body/consciousness-snatching parasitic thing attached to somebody in the town, cannibalizing children, fucking shit up and generally terrorizing everyone.

I was thinking...maybe this *thing* came during a meteor-shower over this small town. Maybe with a cult angle to provide some hints as to what the thing is.
This is where I'm stuck.

Could any of you guys help me maybe bounce some ideas around?

Thanks in advance.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Call of Cthulhu- Need some help
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:45:51 PM »
Pretty much this- I'm to run a small 1-6 session game of Call of Cthulhu. I'm having the players play Delta Green friendlies who know, well, nothing. The characters are rolled up...

But here is where I'm stuck.
I don't know what to do.

I've ran a one-shot of CoC, using one of the many Haunted House scenarios a long while back.

Ideally- I'd like to run a game where they're sent to a small town to amp up the isolation, and maybe have some sort of body/consciousness-snatching parasitic thing attached to somebody in the town, cannibalizing children, fucking shit up and generally terrorizing everyone.

I was thinking...maybe this *thing* came during a meteor-shower over this small town. Maybe with a cult angle to provide some hints as to what the thing is.
This is where I'm stuck.

Could any of you guys help me maybe bounce some ideas around?

Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at Dennis Detwiller's (DG co-author) scenarios? You can get them on his site for free http://web.me.com/drgonzo/Site/Download.html

Mysteria Matris Oblitae in particular is pretty close to what you're describing, although it is set in Mexico during the 20s. It should be easy to modify though. http://web.me.com/drgonzo/Site/Download_files/MysteriaMatrisOblitae_1.pdf

Some other CoC/DG sites to look at http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/system:page-tags/tag/shotgun_scenario#pages
and http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/system:page-tags/tag/scenario

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:37:15 PM »
The number one thing you're going to have to have for this scenario is a good reason why the town is suddenly isolated. Is it a remote mountain town in a snow storm (or almost uninhabitable like 30 Days of Night)? Is it so remote it takes a couple of days to get anywhere? Do cars suddenly start breaking down for no reason? Why can't DG friendlies get help once the weird shit hits the fan?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Corrosive Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »
The number one thing you're going to have to have for this scenario is a good reason why the town is suddenly isolated. Is it a remote mountain town in a snow storm (or almost uninhabitable like 30 Days of Night)? Is it so remote it takes a couple of days to get anywhere? Do cars suddenly start breaking down for no reason? Why can't DG friendlies get help once the weird shit hits the fan?

Setherick's absolutely right -- just remember that whatever you choose, the PCs are going to do their absolute best to get around it, so you want to make sure you pick something that keeps them from physically leaving and from calling out for help.  The nice thing is that this kind of thing is entirely true to the genre, so it shouldn't be too jarring to the PCs.  A major storm works as you can use that to explain them being unable to travel, their cell phones not working, and the land-lines being down as well.  The down side of this is that it also keeps you from providing information via internet research, contacting sources, etc.  However, if this is the kind of isolation you want to create, no worries.

If your group is comprised of DG friendlies, it's possible that they may only have once contact method to get in touch with DG (one telephone number or email address).  If nobody is picking up the phone or answering their emails, this has the effect of severing them from the rest of DG, even if it doesn't isolate them from the rest of the world.

CR
A bullet may have your name on it, but hand grenades are like spam for the battlefield.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
This is what I'm thinking:

Set in Late November, rural mountain town (or a town near a forest? I'm split. Maybe both.)

The creature will be a Traveler, which is infact a creature that comes to earth under the cover of a meteor shower. Little Worm thing that slowly takes over the mind of a host before growing into a vaguely brain-shaped organ thing with the signature tentacles.

If I remember correctly, it needs necrotic tissue and blood for sustenance, so that will give many opportunities for investigators to come across half-eaten bodies.

There will be a storm shortly after they arrive at the town, which will knock out the power and phones for a few days, and snow-in the road.

Think all my bases are covered?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:53:13 PM »

Set in Late November, rural mountain town (or a town near a forest? I'm split. Maybe both.)

The creature will be a Traveler, which is infact a creature that comes to earth under the cover of a meteor shower. Little Worm thing that slowly takes over the mind of a host before growing into a vaguely brain-shaped organ thing with the signature tentacles.

If I remember correctly, it needs necrotic tissue and blood for sustenance, so that will give many opportunities for investigators to come across half-eaten bodies.

There will be a storm shortly after they arrive at the town, which will knock out the power and phones for a few days, and snow-in the road.

Are you talking about the creature from the DG scenario shadow plays and puppet shows? If it is, it also has access to the host's memories and skills so give it a suitable host - like a forest ranger or survivalist with great shooting skills and lots of bear traps.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:29:18 PM »

Are you talking about the creature from the DG scenario shadow plays and puppet shows? If it is, it also has access to the host's memories and skills so give it a suitable host - like a forest ranger or survivalist with great shooting skills and lots of bear traps.

You and your bear traps.

During CoC in Colonial America Game

Me: Ross - What do you do?

Ross: I build bear traps! Lots of bear traps.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »

You and your bear traps.

During CoC in Colonial America Game

Me: Ross - What do you do?

Ross: I build bear traps! Lots of bear traps.

I firmly believe you can solve any problem with sufficient dynamite, bear traps and elephant guns.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 08:35:36 PM »

*checks DG book*

...Hrm. Wow. So it is. I just combed the 'Malleus Monstorum' book.

Corrosive Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »
I firmly believe you can solve any problem with sufficient dynamite, bear traps and elephant guns.

And on the off chance you ran into a problem not solvable by these methods, you could be assured of at least having a great deal of fun while failing to solve the problem.

CR
A bullet may have your name on it, but hand grenades are like spam for the battlefield.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 05:18:47 PM »
Say, Ross, did you say you've only ran published scenarios for CoC/DG?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »
Say, Ross, did you say you've only ran published scenarios for CoC/DG?

So far, yeah. Two reasons

1. Running investigation based games takes more prep work so you can develop a logical scenario

2. There are so many goddamn great DG/CoC scenarios out there, I want to run all of them.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:10:01 PM »
This is what I have so far:

*2 players (Cory and Carl, respectively.), with 2-3 NPC supporting characters (At least one Doctor and one more FBI), excluding townsfolk.

*Town name ‘Trentvillie’- North Washington, far east of Bellingham is nestled among mountains.(Fictional place)

* A meteor shower over the town happened 2 weeks ago. Under the cover of said shower, a Traveler landed in the forests near Jon Curwin’s cabin.

*Jon Curwin, a ranger turned recluse, residing near the village of 120 people. Comes in to town from time to time to buy supplies and groceries. Lives up on the mountains.

*Traveler subdues a deer for its host, and begins looking for another. It is shot by Curwin, who then (via skinning in preparation for eventually making a meal of the deer) is subdued in kind by the Traveler.

What do you guys think?

(Edit: It will also be held in Late November-Early December, as a freak snowstorm will knock out the power and generally strand the PCs and NPCs alike.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:21:19 PM by Richard »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
That's a good start but how do you get the players involved?

arthwollipot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:05 AM »
Send them to survey the new reservoir..?
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.