Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu- Need some help  (Read 25243 times)

Richard

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu- Need some help
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of people rapidly going missing, the latest of which is a police officer or sheriff.

That or Cell A wants them to investigate said disappearance with the meteor shower.

I wonder, since the Traveler's ship crashed far away from Trentvillie, would it have Curwin move the ship closer to the cabin?

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »
Anybody else want to attempt to contribute anything before I get right down to the nitty-gritty?

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 08:34:18 PM »
Well that ship moving idea reminds me of The Thing, in a good way. Curwin could move the ship, or be disguising the wreckage with a natural disaster- or possibly he could be cannibalizing the machines around town for repairs or w/e. (I'm not so familiar with the motives of the Traveler)

But (i'm thinking) what clues are the going to find, it looks like you have plenty of room for them to find physical evidence (dead bodies, broken things, people-who-arent-there-anymore, etc).

but what if one or more of the players wants to find archival clues to aid in the way to defeat the traveler? will there be a mythos Sage? or past instances of supernatural goings on in the area?

Hope this helps.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 09:17:10 PM »
Well that ship moving idea reminds me of The Thing, in a good way. Curwin could move the ship, or be disguising the wreckage with a natural disaster- or possibly he could be cannibalizing the machines around town for repairs or w/e. (I'm not so familiar with the motives of the Traveler)

But (i'm thinking) what clues are the going to find, it looks like you have plenty of room for them to find physical evidence (dead bodies, broken things, people-who-arent-there-anymore, etc).

but what if one or more of the players wants to find archival clues to aid in the way to defeat the traveler? will there be a mythos Sage? or past instances of supernatural goings on in the area?

Hope this helps.

Cannibalizing electronics for various odds and ends would be something that might tip of DG or be a clue that players could track. The town's electronics store is broken in to, but no high ticket items are stolen for instance, but a lot of copper wire, connectors, transistors, little stuff is. The town cops put it down as a prank. But then someone else reports another petty theft like that. And then another. Now you have someone going around stealing odd or worthless items. Like, why break into a house but only steal the reverse osmosis tank under someone's sink and now the plasma TV?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 11:46:08 PM »
As a selfpromotional note, I will inform those who accidentally read this post-

Today I got shanghaied into running my first Call of Cthulhu session and aside from a rouge Boston Red Sox outfielder named Mitch Maloy, things went surprisingly well.
I just stuck with 'The Haunting' from the 6thed book. but I'm trying to figure out which 1920s adventure I should thrust them into next. I was thinking Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, but I'm REALLY open to suggestions/comments/questions/anxieties/fears/paranoias/quandaries/inquiries/ etc.
I wish I was Tom.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 01:45:48 AM »
As a selfpromotional note, I will inform those who accidentally read this post-

Today I got shanghaied into running my first Call of Cthulhu session and aside from a rouge Boston Red Sox outfielder named Mitch Maloy, things went surprisingly well.
I just stuck with 'The Haunting' from the 6thed book. but I'm trying to figure out which 1920s adventure I should thrust them into next. I was thinking Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, but I'm REALLY open to suggestions/comments/questions/anxieties/fears/paranoias/quandaries/inquiries/ etc.

I'm a broken record on this but this page has great scenarios http://web.me.com/drgonzo/Site/Download.html

for the 20s, try the Mysteria Matra one...good times.

I also recommend getting Mortal Coils and running Dream Factory. Decadent Hollywood celebrities in the roaring 20s. What could possibly go wrong?  I haven't played it or run it but I've talked to a guy who playtested it and he had a great time with it.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 01:00:13 PM »
OOh Thanks Joe!
I wish I was Tom.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Okay, tweaking the final product:

A meteor shower happens over Trentville, and within 2 months time, 5 people turn up dead, oftentimes half-eaten, and a variety of mechanical things have been stolen. The 5th one was a police officer. Hearing about this, Cell A send 3 friendlies to investigate- A Hacker, an FBI agent and a Doctor of medicine. Their cover story is that they're sent by the government to help investigate who's killing these people (especially the cop, as *that's* the staple- I'm Canadian, and I'm under the impression FBI don't get involved in anything routine, but when a Police officer goes missing then turns up with chunks of flesh torn from him, well...).

The small town is gripped in fear, lacking the proper resources to cope with such events, which gives me a reason for each PC to be there- A Doctor of Medicine to examine bodies, a Hacker to document the findings and keep in touch with Cell A, and an FBI agent to gain access to the various information needed (crime scene photos, bodies, grilling people for information).

From there, I plan to start feeding them clues, however, as an attempt to add another layer to the investigation, there are rumours that the surrounding forests and mountains are haunted, but reports are conflicting as to *what* exactly, as everyone has their own version of why the surrounding area is haunted. (I might even just flat out MAKE it haunted, have maybe a few of the spectres of the victims floating around to guide the PCs back on track.)

However, Curwin is watching them, and the ranger, under the thrall of the Traveler, may have a variety of nasty surprises for them if they come too close- up to and including the possession of a new host...

How does that sound, everybody? The game is going to be this week, so I hope everyone can reply to this thread soon.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 11:30:58 PM »
I would rule against the ghosts - especially if you want to maintain the cthulhu mythos flavor. Red herrings are a staple of DG and CoC though, so the stories are good. Instead of having several different versions of legends, I would present a single myth to make it more concrete - wendigo, bigfoot, etc. Pick one, grab some info about it on the net and use it as handouts. The handouts may mislead the players with horrific results...which is a plus.

The FBI's jurisdiction is *federal* crimes. The murder of a cop would typically be a state matter. State authorities typically resent the feds stealing cases and taking the credit. However, Cell A could easily pull the strings to give the FBI a potential avenue of investigation - under the idea that this may be the work of a known serial killer who has killed in other states. Interstate killings make it a federal case usually. So the players go in with this cover story but start out with no official jurisdiction. They must either convince the local cops to give it to them (who want to avenge the death of their own and mistrust outsiders) or work outside the law.

Make sure the hacker has standard criminal investigation abilities - a crime scene tech.

What do the PCs know about the supernatural already?

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
I like the direction this seems headed. Let us know how the game turned out and what the players was most bewildered/scared by.
I wish I was Tom.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »
I would rule against the ghosts - especially if you want to maintain the cthulhu mythos flavor. Red herrings are a staple of DG and CoC though, so the stories are good. Instead of having several different versions of legends, I would present a single myth to make it more concrete - wendigo, bigfoot, etc. Pick one, grab some info about it on the net and use it as handouts. The handouts may mislead the players with horrific results...which is a plus.

The FBI's jurisdiction is *federal* crimes. The murder of a cop would typically be a state matter. State authorities typically resent the feds stealing cases and taking the credit. However, Cell A could easily pull the strings to give the FBI a potential avenue of investigation - under the idea that this may be the work of a known serial killer who has killed in other states. Interstate killings make it a federal case usually. So the players go in with this cover story but start out with no official jurisdiction. They must either convince the local cops to give it to them (who want to avenge the death of their own and mistrust outsiders) or work outside the law.

Make sure the hacker has standard criminal investigation abilities - a crime scene tech.

What do the PCs know about the supernatural already?

I believe the hacker has 04 in Cthulhu Myhtos, and the FBI Agent has 01.

I like the serial killer idea, will use that.

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 05:57:20 PM »
This is what I'm thinking:

Set in Late November, rural mountain town (or a town near a forest? I'm split. Maybe both.)

The creature will be a Traveler, which is infact a creature that comes to earth under the cover of a meteor shower. Little Worm thing that slowly takes over the mind of a host before growing into a vaguely brain-shaped organ thing with the signature tentacles.

If I remember correctly, it needs necrotic tissue and blood for sustenance, so that will give many opportunities for investigators to come across half-eaten bodies.

There will be a storm shortly after they arrive at the town, which will knock out the power and phones for a few days, and snow-in the road.

Think all my bases are covered?

Are you talking about the creature from the DG scenario shadow plays and puppet shows? If it is, it also has access to the host's memories and skills so give it a suitable host - like a forest ranger or survivalist with great shooting skills and lots of bear traps.

You and your bear traps.

During CoC in Colonial America Game

Me: Ross - What do you do?

Ross: I build bear traps! Lots of bear traps.

I firmly believe you can solve any problem with sufficient dynamite, bear traps and elephant guns.

Especially if that elephant gun has a special hidden trigger, right Ross?  Oh yeah!

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »
I am pleased to announce it went well. Creeped out my players. I even used two props- one email from Cell A and a 'Blood Splattered' note with "LEavE toWn" written on it :D