Author Topic: Stories about Ye Olde D&D and the Satanic Panic  (Read 10514 times)

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Stories about Ye Olde D&D and the Satanic Panic
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »
So the Slacktivist is looking for stories about people who played D&D or whatnot in the 80s-90s. It might be an interesting thing to look at and has a few funny bits.

Also, who remembers what BADD stands for?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2013/01/02/mazes-monsters-and-the-badd-old-days-im-collecting-stories-of-the-backlash-against-dungeons-dragons/

My favorite bit so far is how he played Tunnels and Trolls because it wasn't D&D and therefore safe to his community. I've heard a similar story about people playing CoC using the same dodge on the "magic words" trick.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Stories about Ye Olde D&D and the Satanic Panic
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:28:16 PM »
I came into the hobby a little late to get involved with much of that. I also started playing in a god-less liberal bastion out here in Seattle so there wasn't any backlash to speak of. Infact I used to bring D&D and White Wolf books to my church and read them when I was bored (ie during sermons) and no one got after me about it.

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »
My brother still has a D&D game going for 30 years. It's the same world that they started with in the old days of D&D, before AD&D. He's got a level 15 ranger with over a million exp points. He told me one of the druids has a clearing in a forest where all the dead characters live in forest critters bodies waiting to be resurrected. They used a homebrew rules from D&D to 3.5. So you can have a 3.5 character, a 2nd ed AD&D character, AD&D character and 3rd ed character all in the same party.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

j_train1

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
I was introduced to D&D by my older cousin around 1982. In fact the first D&D game I was run through was when he came for my grandfathers wake. Funny that.

Then each year after ward when he would come in for Thanksgiving dinner he would run me through some sort of mini D&D mission. In fact he used the Middle-earth Quest  Choose your own adventure and that pretty much got me hooked.

I went and bought the D&D basic Red Box and Blue box from Kay-Bee Toys(remember that store) at the local mall and would slowly pick up more modules from the store. I still own all of them as well and they are well worn from reading over and over again.  Odd fact I still own the blue dice that you had to fill in with crayon, but they are really worn down for that plastic was a really bad compound.

Now I lived out in Farm country and had noone to play with so I ran my self through my own adventures and had a mary-jane character who was a level 15 human wizard. I don't know if I still have that character sheet ,but if I do it is well yellowed.

I would draw dungeons after dungeons ,but never actually ran anyone through them, thank god. They were a nightmare of design, mounty- hauls and every dungeon ended with a dragon. How orginal.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:20:27 PM »
I definately had no contact with the Satanic paranoia that surronded DnD since my first actual game of it was in 2007.

Although even when I was like 10, I would go to the Library and look at the pictures and read the descriptions of the monsters.(The stat blocks made no sense to me) I used to crave to play DnD I wanted to try so bad for so many years.

Eventually highschool came and my desire to play was replaced by a part time job as a computer tech and a desire to use every spare moment I had to get laid.

Having worked my way through that phase I finally decided to try to convince my friends to play.

We eventually forced another friend of ours into DMing a game, that turned into a year long campaign of a decent quality.

Now I'm the one running most of the games, and through RPPR I've started branching out of the 3.5 era.

What qualifies this story to be included in this thread?

Ummmm..... When I was in like 5th grade my neighbor gave me all of his Magic the Gathering cards because his Mom was going to throw them away because she was told they promoted satan worship.(Hopefully that comes close enough to get me by... lol)
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

j_train1

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
Ummmm..... When I was in like 5th grade my neighbor gave me all of his Magic the Gathering cards because his Mom was going to throw them away because she was told they promoted satan worship.(Hopefully that comes close enough to get me by... lol)
Yes, Magic did go through its whipping boy phase in the late 90's. The artwork on the cards were considered unholy and therefore would lead little Timmy down the road to damnation. I remember the card Unholy strength. In the 3rd edition it had a reverse pentagram on the artwork and in 4th edition they removed the pentagram ,but left the man holding out his arms. It looked pretty stupid.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
I had, and probably still have in a box at my parents house, the original Jack Chick Dungeons and Dragons comic. I bet it's worth a lot more now to game collectors than to anyone else.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »
Oh, hunh. . . that particular Chick Tract was still being printed a couple years ago (though bulk orders only).  Guess not anymore.

ethan_dawe

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
I love the glorious book burning at the end of that tract.

You have to see the long term result of this cleansing!

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>