Author Topic: The Great Kickstarter Bet Game - On Once More!  (Read 25453 times)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
The Great Kickstarter Bet Game - On Once More!
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
Working on an idea for a hack of the game to be based off a certain video game (which will not be named here for a bit because someone who's in it might read this), trying to mess around with Weird Kids eventually starting to scale like Wild Talents. Has anyone played extensively with Weird Kids as compared to Monsters to know how they tend to scale and how the system behaves with them? On paper it looks like they'll be a lot more vulnerable to full-out Monster opponents.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:40:27 PM by SageNytell »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Monsters and Other Childish Things Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
Weird skills degrade relationships, the primary source of bonuses for normal players so pumping them up will shoot you in the foot on that side of things.

Monsters are the toughest; nothing is going to stand on even footing with a monster unless that something is specifically made to fight them and the monster isn't prepared for combat in any way.

The skills scale to how they are described. Like most things in Monsters the players have alot of leeway to phrase their abilities.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
a group of kids with weird skills vs 1 monster would be good for a boss fight if the kids used teamwork and the monster wasn't minmaxed to hell and back.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
I'm absolutely ripping off the Shadow Mob and Cafeteria Garbage Monster from Curriculum of Conspiracy as a lingering threat for an arc and a general boss fight, for one thing.  ;D
I was thinking of dropping the 'kill your relationships to gain power' and just letting them (slowly) develop their weird abilities ala Wild Talents, but still use Monsters as a base - the source material is an RPG, I guess I can say that much, and it's a tad bit happier, less dark and more generally weird than Monsters Core. D'you guys think that might get out of control? I'd like them to be able to reliably stand against general monsters by the end, but I'll mostly be using a whole bunch of threat pools for incidentals at the start.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
I'd recommend dropping Monsters power instead of trying to tweek the kids too much.

Make monster locations worth 3 dice instead of 5 while keeping the other rules the same and you'll have monsters that can be dealt with more easily by weird kids.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:23:44 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
Gotcha. Alright, cool, that's one thing taken care of.
As the game I'm basing this on involves equipment that gets upgraded as time goes on, I'm planning on giving them small upgrades to their 'weapon of choice' which is going to be represented with a normal skill (hands + punching, hands + baseball bat, hands + frying pan) that starts out doing W+1, then upgrades to W+2 in the second 'tier', then maybe picks up an extra or two for the final two tiers. This'll give them some variety in situations where superpowers might not be a good idea.

Essentially, I'll be having Weird vs. Boring be a major theme in the campaign. Weird stuff can't directly interact with Boring stuff normally, and boring stuff is always either useless or deadly against weird stuff. For example: That evil possessed beaver gnawing on your arm does shock to weird kids, but that IRS accountant is going to ignore your lightning-pitched baseballs and his lecture on tax preparation is bringing the Scarring damage. Kids'll have to figure a way around Boring things other than weird powers.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
One note, remember that Monsters defaults to W-1 for damage, not W like Wild Talents does. Doing W damage is an upgrade. W+1 is a big upgrade.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »
Base rules already has that in place, I'm actually gypping the players. 'Sticks and stones', page 29 in conflicts in the main book.
I might go with just base damage of W-1 to start and then up it later. Something to think on, I suppose.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
Working on a pregenerated character concept, and I need some assistance. Weird kid in question is a 'princess kid', meaning the Disney variety that swordfights and practices archery and leads from the front. I need some ideas for one or two weird skills for her, one of them preferably a 'leadership' style thing, but I have not played enough Monsters to figure out how to work it. She has between 8 and 10 points to work with, and I'm fine with her going through all 10.

I've already got the baseball kid - his weird skill is "Throw Lightning and Catch Smoke". He can attack with various supernatural pitches, catch literally anything, and can block supernatural attacks with his baseball glove. 8 dice to work with boils down to a 4d weird skill with ADU and Awesome x2. His non-weird skills are mostly PE, and he uses a baseball bat like a sword.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »
Second kid's weird powers done! "Ray Skanz, The World's Littlest Ghostbuster".
Special weapon is Hands + Super Soaker.
Weird Skills: Brains + "We Have The Tools! We Have The Talent!" 5d - Useful, design temporary superscience tools, one at a time, takes 5-W minutes per device; Useful, analyze weird powers and weird effects, Sweet x1, Awesome x1
Weird Relationship: Tobin's Spirit Guide 1d
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:15:25 PM by SageNytell »

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
This sounds like two or three separate skills to me, depending on whether or not you count the archery and swordsmanship as one thing. The Leadership thing would probably be a face-based skill. Something like:

Useful: Decree (Princess can make a decree that others have to follow)*
If she has a high face, which makes the most sense as a princess, I would only set aside two dice and give it awesome x2. Or you could give it Sweet, and make it really hard for people to combat its effect. Also, to highlight that she's a disney princess, I'd give her the ability to SUMMON ANGRY PEONS
Proclamation! 2d Awesome x2
Useful: Do what I say or 50 years dungeon no trial! Attacks: Summon loyal subjects (with torches and pitchforks)

That leaves between three and five dice to work with, depending on how creepy you want to make the princess; La Belle or La Bete. As for her second skill, it sounds like you want her to have Little Miss Badass swordfighting abilities, but that honestly sounds more like a regular sort of skill to me, not a weird one. Could you go into a little more detail about what you want?

*What's that, Ross? No PC mind control? FIE ON YOU I SAY!

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
Gonna give each character one 'normal' way of fighting, in the vein of punching/kicking/wrestling/outwit/putdown, but reflavored for the game. Baseball player hits with Hands + Baseball Bat, Science kid is either Hands or Mind + Squirt Gun, Princess might be Guts + Swordfighting or Hands + Archery. These are separate from their Weird Skills.

The Princess I'm trying to flesh out, trying for a leader-style character. I've mostly been working on the monsters / threats / plot / challenges, and I'm usually pretty bad about making pregens either bland or same-y, so I figured I'd poke around and ask for some ideas.
The Decree thing might work, the particulars of the scenario mean that Summoning Angry Peons might not work as most of the kids in town have been co-opted by Bad Guys, but I'll look into that one too.

Kids are all normal-ish kids with some weird traits and hobbies, in the year 199X. What makes them special is they're the Weirdest of the Weird, and they stand out from the other kids in town, and it falls to them to save the day. I'm going off a video game for source material, but since certain people who might be playing the home game might see this I'll stay mum on more for now.

Teuthic

• of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »
Oh neat! Gives me a kind of Earthbound vibe.

They're magic peons! They come from the land of Ooo! Or Fantasia, or Andalasia. They appear for width-1 turns, cause a ruckus, then turn into trash or something. Up the dice amount to turn it into one large skill pool, add the Defends quality, and you've got a magic crowd.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »
 :-\ That would be because it's an EarthBound game.
Welp, guess the cat's out of that bag.

Teuthic

• of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »
Er, sorry about that. I'm kind of overdosed on references. I'll keep my mouth shut next time.