Author Topic: The Great Kickstarter Bet Game - On Once More!  (Read 25299 times)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
Re: Monsters and Other Childish Things Questions
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:15 PM »
Alright, then. Any advice from anyone in an Earthbound adaptation for Monsters? I've done a lot of prep work, but any fun ideas are always welcome.

Moose Fisher

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »
You'll need to include the classic "Loot food from trash cans".

If Weird and Boring are the two main classification of abilities, how do dangerous objects play in?  If Frank pulls out a knife, how are the kids going to handle it?

Perhaps allow one of the characters to take the Pray command or something similar?  You'd need to set up a random table.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
Are there any good dice rollers online for monsters and other childish things or matching dice roller?
Liquid Water?

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »
Are there any good dice rollers online for monsters and other childish things or matching dice roller?
My question exactly. Ross had something working for a Nemesis game after one of the Kickstarters, but damned if I can remember the name of it. I want a working die roller figured out before I try and run a game.

Also! From the Heroes of New Arcadia thread where it began, regarding that bet to run a game:
Alright, quick update. I've got 4 people so far - GorkaMorka, Tadanori Oyama, Dom, and Teuthic, and a friend of mine might be joining us so I'm calling it there. Game'll be held sometime in January because fuck trying to schedule things in December. We'll be playing Monsters and Other Childish Things in a setting inspired largely by EarthBound. Any further nonsense will be posted in the thread I started in RPGs. (IE here)

My goal is to record the game, so be aware of that, and any Skype recording advice would be lovely. Otherwise I'll have the pregens posted out here, I've got 4 of 5 done to my satisfaction.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
Just an update: This is still happening, I went back to school after being out for six years and getting into the swing of things took longer than I thought it would. Game is 90% done, will take place most likely in early February.

SageNytell

• View Profile
The Bet Game At Last!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
Alright, I'm rezzing this bitch. In two weeks I will be taking a two month break from school. I'm finally putting my money where my mouth is and I'm going to run that bet game from the Kickstarter last year. Game will be the first or second week of July, folks who had already called spots - IE Teuthic, Gorkamorka, Dom and Tad - still have spots if they want/need them.
Ironically I won't be using Monsters, but instead we'll be trying out FATE Accelerated Edition. The game is still somewhat styled after SNES classic Earthbound, and I'll be providing pregens but I might be persuaded to allow people to make their own weird kids. I will try to record and post the game on the Community Actual Play feed.
Sorry it took so long! I remember why I left school the first time now.  :P

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »
I haven't tried out FATE, though I would still down for this if you'll allow someone that doesn't know the rules.  :)

SageNytell

• View Profile
The Kickstarter Bet Game!
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »
More fun that way! FATE Accelerated was just released but it's dead simple and available for free! I haven't actually run it yet but I've run a few sessions of Spirit of the Century, and that's been a blast.
Like I said, simple pregens will be provided for simplicity's sake.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:58:19 AM by SageNytell »

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Kickstarter Bet Game - On Once More!
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 06:29:51 AM »
I am always down for a system I haven't tried. I'm ridiculously busy during the week, though. Are weekends doable?

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »
Weekends are doable. I'm EST, and at least one of the players is GMT, so I would probably look at a morning game (7-8-9AMish EST) to make things fit.

Character Creation and Example Pregens!
This is mostly off of memory from reading the rules this weekend, refer to the (freely available) rules to check me. The pregens are rough, I may tweak them a bit.

-First come up with a High Concept for your character! This will be your first Aspect, and helps form the base of your character.
-Next figure out a Trouble for your character! This will be your second Aspect, and it'll be used against you to give you FATE points and get you into all sorts of fun problems.
-Next, you can come up with two more Aspects. These should be something cool about your character - something they do, have, or want. Give them fun names!
-Your last Aspect is a Friend Aspect, and will be related to one of the other characters in the game, and will focus on the relationship between the two of you. This could be friendship, rivalry, or something similar. Give it a fun name!
-Next, we select your Approaches! Characters can Approach problems in six different ways: Careful, Clever, Flashy, Forceful, Quick, and Sneaky.
-Choose one approach which will be Great and get a +3, two approaches to be Good and get a +2, two approaches to be Fair and get a +1, and finally one approach will only be Mediocre and get a +0.
-Finally, you choose Stunts! Stunts follow the following format: Because I am [person/place/thing related to your character], whenever I use [a specific Approach] to [Attack/Defend/Overcome/Create an Advantage] under [particular circumstance] I get a +2 bonus.
-Other Stunts could provide a different sort of one-time bonus to break the rules of the game by a little bit - an example would be having an ally or two show up or coming up with a brilliant one-use invention on the spot.
-Stunts should also have fun names!
-I may be remembering this incorrectly and will check the actual rules when I get a chance.

Timmy Rodriguez, the Greatest Little Leaguer Who Ever Lived
High Concept: The Greatest Little Leaguer Who Ever Lived
Trouble: Pretty Painfully Shy With People
Aspects: Throw Lightning and Catch Smoke; My Teammates Are Counting On Me
Friend Aspect: Regina's My Trusty Manager
Approaches: Quick +3, Forceful +2, Flashy +2, Careful +1, Sneaky +1, Clever +0
Stunt 1, Thunderstorm on the Plate: Because I can Throw Lightning and Catch Smoke, whenever I Quickly act to Create An Advantage against a Lone Foe I get a +2 bonus.
Stunt 2, Bottom of the Ninth: Because My Teammates are Counting On Me, whenever I Quickly act to Overcome An Obstacle when My Friends are In Danger, I get a +2 bonus.
Stunt 3: Unfinished!
Description: Baseball Bat and Glove as Sword and Shield, Red Baseball Cap, Chews Big League Chew, tries to be a tough guy

Ray Skanz, the Littlest Ghostbuster
High Concept: The Littlest Ghostbuster
Trouble: I'm Sort of Afraid of Some Ghosts
Character Aspects: We Have the Tools, We Have the Talent; Tobin's Spirit Guide Junior Edition
Friend Aspect: I've Got a Crush on Rebecca! (Editor's note: This is a placeholder!)
Approaches: Clever +3, Careful +2, Flashy +2, Sneaky +1, Quick +1, Forceful +0
Stunt 1, Boy Genius: Because I know We Have the Tools, We Have The Talent, once per session I can create a one-use Fantastic Gadget to solve some sort of problem.
Stunt 2, Well Read: Because I have Tobin's Spirit Guide Junior Edition, whenever I Cleverly act to Create An Advantage by discovering an aspect on a Supernatural enemy, I get a +2 bonus.
Stunt 3: Unfinished!
Description: Squirt Gun as Neutrona Wand, Backpack water reservoir and bag o' stuff, Budding mad scientist, Wants to go to space when he grows up to fight the SPAAAACE GHOOOSTS and the Green Gribblies from Mars

More to come!

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 06:30:32 AM »
Oh god I'm barely sentient that early, especially on my days off. This'll be interesting.