Author Topic: Unknown Armies  (Read 6508 times)

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
Unknown Armies
« on: November 25, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
I'm kind of curious as to everyone's thoughts on the game; has anyone else checked out this little gem of occult conspiracies and horror? Its weird China Miéville-y quality is what got me really into playing games outside of straight-up fantasy.

infinitejesting

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Armies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
Honestly, it's the best written game I've come across. I've never gotten to actually play it  :( but it's just so crammed with cool ideas. I'd love to hear people's experiences playing it though.

metalwhisper

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »
Definitely a great setting. An underrated horror game that deserves more attention, IMHO (along with Over the Edge). I would love to play it one day. Even if I don't though, it is full of great ideas, as infinitejesting pointed out. It's GM advice section is also pretty great. Those reasons alone make it one of my favorite books in my rpg library.

JuddX

• I love dem pencil and paper roleplaying games!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
My old group actually played quite a few one shots with it. I found it to be very good game. The mechanics were simple enough, and since there is no set skill list you could get as deep with a character as you wanted. My old group and I personally didn't like the default campaign setting, but we found it great for the one shots. It seems like it would hold very well for campaign.

The spotlight for me though goes with the sanity system. Because usually in games with sanity you only have two states: sane and insane. Like normal and gibbering. At best, you can be a little off kilter. But this system explored what happens not when you go out of your mind crazy, but the quiet hardening of your soul kind of crazy. I like that, and am glad it found it's way into Nemesis.

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
It was written by John Tynes and Greg Stolze. Enough said.

bidoof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »
I really liked Unknown Armies because it's the only game that has magic that really feels magical to me.  You can really tell that a lot of research and thought went into it.