Author Topic: Looking for a good book  (Read 13913 times)

Zeernebooch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Looking for a good book
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:52:11 PM »
So i am at the end of my current read (Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia) and have no idea of what to read next. Right now i am trying to branch out a little from the usual books that i read (fantasy) and try some new stuff.
Any suggestions?
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Looking for a good book
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »
Armor is a good read.  It's a military science fiction novel by John Steakley.  Im not that big on sci-fi military but this one was really interesting and its not a hard read.  In short, a conman is forced onto a planet where he find a special Scout Armor used in the military and a scientist who has managed to scavenge the video memory of the previous user.  The memories are awesome as the user was forced to fight for his life again and again in a never ending battle against these 3-meter-tall insectoids.  If you liked Starship troopers you'll like this one.

The Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker is another fantasy novel but a very interesting plot with subplot after subplot after subplot that all tie together.  The way it's written you really get a feel for the characters and want them to accomplish what they try to do and it's just a great read.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Phelanar

• Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:27:13 AM »
House of Leaves. It's bizarre and awesome. Snow Crash, it's a classic of cyberpunk and smart reading. Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo. Voyage of the Space Bubble series by John Ringo is also excellent, but may hurt your brain to read all the physics in it. The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. My brain is all squishy tonight so that's all that I can think of.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:43:17 AM »
Starship Troops by Robert Heinline.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 03:17:34 AM »
House of Leaves. It's bizarre and awesome. Snow Crash, it's a classic of cyberpunk and smart reading. Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo. Voyage of the Space Bubble series by John Ringo is also excellent, but may hurt your brain to read all the physics in it. The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. My brain is all squishy tonight so that's all that I can think of.

I see what you did there

American Gods is a decent novel.

Some free novellas and short stories

Repairer of Reputation by Robert W. Chambers http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/kiy_rr.htm

The Upper Berth http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/upprbrth.htm

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »
The Repairman Jack series, but F. Paul Wilson. Repairman Jack is a man who specializes in fixing problems not suitable by the police. Jack has removed himself from the public system in order to be an urban "ghost". This would be a cool series if it was just that, but then throw in some Lovecraftian mythos in the mix, and you get an uber-cool series!  ;D

Also check out the series of Monster novels by David Wellington. The Monster series is Monster Island, then Monster Nation, and finally Monster Planet. David has taken the zombie novel and turned it on it's rotten ear!!! Picture a world of George Romero zombies, but add in the twist that if a person died in such a situation in which their brain was still getting oxygen, then that person turned into a zombie with super powers!!! Each super zombie was unique in nature. This was a very cool series. I loved it.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Zeernebooch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:27:41 AM »
Will defiantly check some of those out.
Thanks a lot all  ;D
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »
I was going to suggest American Gods as well! It is my all time favorite novel.

I also suggest: Ender's Game, or the Dangerous Man trilogy by Charlie Huston. Huston writes some gritty crime-fiction that is really worth your time.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 11:58:38 PM »
YES on American Gods.  I liked Anansi Boys, too.  And if you can track down "Monarch of the Glen" (it's the last story in Fragile Things), it's a short story concerning Shadow.  Also Gaiman's short story "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" is pretty hilarious.  (It's contained within Smoke and Mirrors - more-or-less it is Dudley Moore and Peter Cook as acolytes of Cthulhu.)

One of my most favorite books is Douglas Adams' Last Chance to See.  It is nonfiction, the documentation of several trips to remote locations to find endangered species in the wild.  Over the last twelve years I must've read my copy twenty times, and it still makes me laugh aloud.

Terry Pratchett is another of my favorite authors.  His (non-Discworld) novel Nation is excellent.  Don't be intimidated by the colossal number of Discworld novels, either - with very few exceptions (the Tiffany Aching books, for the most part) you can jump in anywhere you like.  Although the novels share a common setting, there is rarely an overarching plot that you'd miss out on.  That said, the Tiffany Aching books (in order, The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith) are some of Pratchett's best writing.  I have an illustrated copy of The Wee Free Men that I'm saving to read with my oldest daughter...at her current reading rate, probably we have another two years to wait.  Other Discworld novels I would recommend:  Reaper Man, Small Gods, Hogfather, Night Watch, and Thud!  Oh, and if you are a fan and happen to have toddlers around, do your sanity a favor and get Where's My Cow?  Yes, a Discworld picture book.  Oh, right, you said no fantasy.  Well, crap, Nation fits, anyway.

OK, here we go.  I also enjoy military history, and to this end I will recommend The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara.  It's about the Battle of Gettysburg, and if you enjoy it, you can delve into the books that Jeff Shaara (Michael's son) has written, listed here in order of historical conflict, NOT in the order written:  Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause (the American Revolution); Gone for the Soldiers (Mexican-American war); Gods and Generals (Civil War pre-Gettysburg); The Last Full Measure (Civil War post-Gettysburg); To the Last Man (World War I); The Rising Tide (World War II, Europe and Africa, pre-Operation Overlord); and The Steel Wave (Overlord to V-E day, I believe, I haven't read this one yet).  [EDIT 7/21/09 - I have read The Steel Wave now, and it's really focused on Overlord plus about three months: the last events it details are in September 1944.  There's a third novel coming out that details the final year of the WWII in Europe; following that I'm sure he'll do something similar for the Pacific Theater.]  These novels are all American-centric - even though the novels also include British and German POV characters, the novels are focused on the US involvement in that conflict.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:41:24 AM by Dawnsteel »
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:27:13 PM »
The books That started it all for me was The Chronicles of Narnia, then it was the old time dragon lance, now I'm hooked on the forgotten Realms stuff I have around 80 books or so and counting.  but I have to say the best book I have ever read was: How to win Friends and Influence People. By far the most useful book I have ever read granted this isn't the kind of book your probably looking for but its a must read for any one.

again How to win friends and in fluence people
by Dale carnegie
ISBN 0-671-72365-0

Happy
Kenders Rock