Author Topic: shadows of leuven  (Read 5755 times)

peter_xxx

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
shadows of leuven
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:54:06 AM »
So I listened to the shadows of leuven AP yesterday at work. And I really ejoyed it.

I gather that this was a playtest for a to be published adventure? If so I have to point out some small mistakes. First of the money used in Belgium during that time period is called "frank" (in dutch) or "franque" (in french) and not "Guilders" or "gulden" like was assumed.

Another thing to draw attention to is that during that time period education (especially higher education) was all done in French. So the teachers/monks should be french speaking instead of dutch.

French was the laguage everybody with any standing would talk back than since the variant of dutch spoken in flanders was considered a language for the poor/ the peasants. In the 60's we had a movement called "Leuven vlaams" (Leuven Flemish) that tried and eventually succeeded in diminishing the influence of the french on the education and administration in Flanders. And even to this day the division between French speaking and Dutch speaking parts of Belgium is the topic of very heated political debate.

anyway these are minor remarks in accord to the roleplay, but if this scenario is to be published, it might be something worth giving some attention to.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: shadows of leuven
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
This is the reason I am afraid to run historical games: if even the great Mr. Glancy gets a detail wrong, what hope do I have?

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:12:12 PM »
Just say its an ALT reality, but very close to ours.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
Or play test with Tom. He'll catch historical inaccuracies; likely he'll point them out with great glee.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
This is the reason I am afraid to run historical games: if even the great Mr. Glancy gets a detail wrong, what hope do I have?

:3

aren't you glad that not everyone is a Historical Hobgoblin/Wikignome/OCD grognard?

they remind me of this fellow who asks Grant Morrison a question aboot Batman & Robin (their age or something like that) and Grant Morrison answers

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become