Author Topic: Old School Hack  (Read 4275 times)

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
Old School Hack
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
Or: If You Can't Find A Gaming Group, Raise One From Infants

I helped my two oldest daughters (they are nine and almost-six) make OSH characters this evening, while I cut out and glued assorted tokens. (We'll actually play a game next weekend.)
We have Crystal Stone-hewer, the Fashionable Treasure-Hunter. She is a dwarf, wearing glittery chain mail and carrying a heavy sword. High brawn and daring, not-so-great cunning or charm. "She also has a knife to cut monsters' heads off, Daddy."
We also have Audrey, the Magical Princess. She has a sleep spell in her arsenal, and also carries a magic wand (replete with silver star on the end). She waves it at enemies and they disappear. "They don't turn invisible, Daddy. They go somewhere else."

So. For their first adventure, what should I throw at them? I have a few ideas, but I can always use more.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Old School Hack
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
I think it only fair you introduce them to the most common of adventuring adversaries (at least for my group). Kobolds!
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Old School Hack
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 02:41:10 AM »
Obviously, keeping the story simple but interesting is key.

Rescue the Fairy Godmother from the Evil Wizard by traveling through the Forest of Goblins and braving the Dark Castle. Making friends with the talking fox and lazy goblin will help.

Or a parody/rewrite of Aesop's Fables - The frog wants to cross the river but knows the scorpion is gonna sting him. Get the antidote to the poison so the frog won't get sick from the scorpion.