Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077  (Read 7999 times)

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Cyberpunk 2077
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:03:58 PM »
So CD Projekt RED, the makers of The Witcher 1 and 2, are working on a video-game based around the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG universe. However, setting it Fifty years in the future from now, the setting will be much less as a future as envisioned in the 80's without wireless, and something more akin to, say Deus Ex Human Revolution's cyberpunk setting.

There's very little information about the game as of now, except that it will be a "sandbox" RPG with "meaningful choices".

The first video I'll post is a CGI teaser trailer made to promote the game, the second a small interview with Mike Pondsmith, the creator of Cyberpunk 2020, regarding the change in setting and the decision to create a video-game based around the tabletop game.

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

So, what are your thoughts on this new videogame? On the new Cyberpunk setting? On girls in white undies with giant metallic claws sticking out from their forearms?

EDIT: Some more info.

There's a flash of text in the trailer at the 2:13 mark.

Quote from: Reddit Thread
    Do you like our latest creation? We certainly hope so! :) You may remember that we sometimes send you guys secret messages like this. It's a great way for us to speak right to you instead of burying ourselves in corporate mumbo jumbo, so let's begin!

First of all--have you noticed all the details in our teaser (Yes, it's a teaser. We'll make a proper trailer in the future)? If you know the Cyberpunk setting, there are some things you can spot, like implants--look for the weapon hands and the real skin -- corporate emblems that should look familiar, and more. Happy hunting!

You're probably curious about the release. It's currently scheduled a way off in 20(14,15,16?) but in truth the delivery date is more like "when it's done". We will release Cyberpunk to you when we're convinced it is nothing but pure, refined, unadulterated awesome. We want it to be the most kick ass futuristic RPG ever-- OK, maybe this sounds pretty bully, but it is our actual goal! You judge if we deliver it!

Oh--And you may wonder why we announced our game so early before the release. The reason is that we're still building our Dev team, so if you are a talented dude or dudette, willing to work in a really different company (gamers rule & boring corporate stuff drools) on a single ambitious project, send us your application right now! careers@cdprojectred.com

So, you want to know what kind of game Cyberpunk 2077 will be? The short description is that it will be a story-heavy, nonlinear, open world RPG based on the well known Cyberpunk pen&paper system and setting. Building open world games is something we are mastering right now, and we believe (misspelled in trailer, heh) that properly joining nonlinear gameplay with an excellent story telling will bring a totally new quality. Hmm.. we'll tell some more about it soon!

And that's not all that's new, we are about to reveal our other project, which is much closer to being completed and yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we're talking about - on the 5th of February it will all be clear.

So stay tuned as we will have quite a lot to show and tell you soon!

We are waiting for you on our newly created forum called afterlife--what other name could we have chosen for it? :)

CD Project Red Team

So, the game is still pretty far off, but that doesn't mean we can't ogle at it a bit.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:12:16 PM by Dom »

Gorkamorka

• Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:07:22 PM »
Nggaahh!
I just had a nerdgasm.  This might just get me to play computer games agian.  Bye ye marrige.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Alexander

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
Who here has played the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG, and how was it?

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »

it was a child of its times (and like i find all games to be, it takes good participants to make a good game)

my favourite things:  the writing & the combat system was particularly deadly.  also, the fun extropian fluff :3

my least favourite thing:  the base setting i found to be quite nihilistic, where i was expecting the PCs to be 'fighting against the CORPS'
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »

8)

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »

It's a dystopian game based on everything that was cool in the 80s. 
So glamrock and big hair galore.  The words to live by were "Style over Substance"

The system was only so so, but it was simple and easy to play.  It did have some flaws (like shooting yourself in the head once per 1000 shots), but all in all I enjoyed playing it immensely in my youth.

Here is a detailed review of the game LINK
You can by it here LINK
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
So what have people found in the teaser from the old RPG game?

This is my list so far:
-Network 54 news channel
-MAX tech (Psyco squad)
-NCPD badge
-Cover girl from one of the Crome books in the window of the tech store.
-Militech gun with "for instruction manual go to Militech.com" in red text.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »
The making of the trailer. It was very elaborate  :o

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
Shit! That's a lot of work for a 2 min video.
No wonder it looks so good,  8)
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)