Author Topic: Better Angels Campaign: The Spared and the Spoiled  (Read 67286 times)

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Better Angels Campaign: The Spared and the Spoiled
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »
They can't overlap. I'm not sure how it works out mathematically, but that's the main rule. If you slide something over or earn a dot that would cause a Strategy Tactic to overlap, it just gets removed. It's easier to explain with a character sheet in front of you. Each Sinister/Virtuous pair looks something like

Sinister0 0 0 0  0  0
                     0  0  0  0  0  0 Virtuous

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:07 PM »
Well despite my system ignorance I love the concept of this campaign. I especially like how fluid the tone can be. Usually tone is kind of binary.

Either it's grim dark super cereal or it's  adventure time.

This seems like it could easily be played either way and be equally fun.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2014, 05:53:52 PM »
I think the intention of the author is for the tone to swing wildly from scene to scene. Sort of; it's all fun and games!... until it's not.

The theme when I've run it has always been that of a disfunctional self-help group. I like to open with everyone playing the demons, bragging about the previous session, and then cut to the players, sitting in a garage with coffee and donuts talking about how they can be better.

Any number of binding groups could work for the humans. I've considered running a game were a group of police personal open up an old box while executing a search warrant and get demons.

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
The theme when I've run it has always been that of a disfunctional self-help group. I like to open with everyone playing the demons, bragging about the previous session, and then cut to the players, sitting in a garage with coffee and donuts talking about how they can be better.

Do you mind if I borrow this for my campaign? It sounds like a fantastic and hilarious idea.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »
Do you mind if I borrow this for my campaign? It sounds like a fantastic and hilarious idea.

Go right ahead.

Tonpa

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 06:45:42 AM »
This campaign is full of awesome!

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »
Woo Hoo Congratulations to the new school Principal!
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Iafhtagn

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2014, 01:07:58 AM »
I got curious after episode 8 and went to see if something like SalvationStarter was a thing. I found a lot more than I was expecting:

Three Christian crowdfunding sites, including FaithLauncher, which is particularly interesting because unlike Kickstarter, they keep the money even if they don't hit their goals:
http://crowdfundingwebsites.blogspot.com/2013/07/religious-crowdfunding-sites.html
http://www.faithlauncher.com/

Three Muslim sites:
http://www.ummahhub.com/
https://www.launchgood.com/
http://muslimcrowdfunding.com/#_

And "Jewcer" for the Jews:
http://jewcer.com/

It's too bad  but unsurprising that there aren't any Buddhist sites, and the evangelical atheists look like they prefer kickstarter and Indiegogo.

I'm also just going to leave this one here:
http://www.furstarter.com

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »
My roommate and I fucking lost our collective shit at the description of the demonic hell-scanner. ;D

Mr. Purple

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »
My roommate and I fucking lost our collective shit at the description of the demonic hell-scanner. ;D

It's just a common, ordinary scantron machine.  Haven't you seen the older ones?  It's practically an antique, really; we only break it out when we have a lot of things to scan; oh sure it's a little noisy at first, but once you get used to the sound you'll hear it ALL the TIME, EVERY WAKING MOMENT, screaming, screaming always screaming...

Where was I?  Ah yes, just an ordinary scantron that absolutely positively is NOT fueled by the souls of the damned.  It's perfectly safe to turn your back on it; if you do and then look back it's NOT going to be closer to you, that's just your mind playing tricks on you. 
"Don't read that book, that's where they keep the madness!"

EndersLegend

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »
I'm on episode 4. Love it so far. Ross keeps getting the harsh end when it comes to his power. It can be used at range, but he keeps having to touch. Unseen Chupacabra is my favorite.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2014, 12:09:05 AM »
I'm on episode 4. Love it so far. Ross keeps getting the harsh end when it comes to his power. It can be used at range, but he keeps having to touch. Unseen Chupacabra is my favorite.

Yeah, when I made my character, I was using the BA playtest draft. I eventually noticed after I read the final print version.

EndersLegend

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2014, 06:19:25 PM »

Yeah, when I made my character, I was using the BA playtest draft. I eventually noticed after I read the final print version.

So long as the Unseen Chupacabra continues to reap destruction upon the city, I'm cool.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2014, 05:38:23 AM »
I was re-reading some Dresden Files novels as prep for the new one that just came out, and all of a sudden it dawned on me. 

"Better Angels lifted most of their ideas on how demon possession works straight from the Denarians"

1. You have a talisman/coin that connects you to the demon.
2. The demon offers you power and knowledge in stead of control.
3. Even the best of people are doomed to subcome to the demon eventually.
4. The horrible monsters are the possessed that naturally want the same things as the demon.
5. God has some mother F-ing bad asses to counter you and when they show up you run. 
5b. Those F-ing bad asses can't do anything to you if you give up, play on their goodness.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Kamen

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile