Author Topic: Pastoral Manor in Call of Cthulhu? and other Crazon Things!  (Read 21845 times)

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Pastoral Manor in Call of Cthulhu? and other Crazon Things!
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »
For the last few months I have been running Call of Cthulhu D20 set in the 1920s of my little fictional universe. Its been going really well, the players are super enthused (literally dressing for the occasion... seriously, suits and fedoras!) there have been 3 full game scenarios that are formatted in cases for 2 investigators that have been relatively dark, with the last being a pretty grim dark/ shit just got real! game based on the Pendelton massacre from Caleb's Preemptive Revenge, so I decided to run a less grimdark game for the next one to give the guys a calm in the storm.

For some reason or another, I was really reminiscing on the classic movies about intelligent animals (the secret of NIMH, Watership Down, etc.) and decided that I wanted to do up a scenario involving intelligent animals. (I have for a while been tinkering with some short stories about groups of small animals gaining sentience and trying to survive in a world ruled by man and populated by non intelligent animals alike).

And now that the back story of that is out of the way...

For the scenario, I decided to get some inspiration for this type of game from Pastoral Manor, obviously tweaking it to fit my stories. and ran the first part a few days ago. Set up clues and a setting akin to that in Pastoral Manor, threw a lumber mill/deforestation spin on it and stated out character animal and human alike accordingly. I had it set up to have the investigators uncover the mystery of this lumber mills strange occurrences/ deterrents to cutting down the woods, red herringed a ghost angle with the animals attempting to scare the lumber jacks off. And then my investigators proceeded to leave the mill and all its lingering clues, go through the woods to check out a murder sight, find the pastoral manor (named Arcadia Farms in my game) and after an investigative section where they talked to the farm kid about the woods and rolled really well, they discovered the intelligent animals in no time flat!

So now I'm going to run the next part after a few days between the first and Ive added/expanded the content to accommodate this quick reveal and well see what happens...

But yeah, that was the time I ran Pastoral Manor in Call of Cthulhu... D20.       
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Pastoral Manor in Call of Cthulhu? and other Crazon Things!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:27 PM »

Mixmastermax

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
That is cool and makes sense that it should work well

Considering Road Trip is just Mask of Nytheralopatep
Well really similar and they give the same vibe

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:00:38 PM »
I cant tell what kind of reaction Ross is suggesting with this image? Good? Bad?
Oh My GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
lol

I'm thinking the latter. :D
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:12:18 PM »
That is cool and makes sense that it should work well

Considering Road Trip is just Mask of Nytheralopatep
Well really similar and they give the same vibe

It is funny cause the next game I'm writing up for them is inspired by Eternal Glades. I just really like the ideas of Road Trip. And since my friends have no interesting in playing monsters and other childish things, I have to bring those concepts that I dig about it to them through something they will play. XD
Liquid Water?

Mixmastermax

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 01:16:56 AM »
Do what I do.
Go to there homes and when they wake up at where you have sessions.
Tied to chairs with
Monsters & Other Childish Things Sheets in front of  them and your dummy body over a pit of spikes you'll convince them....
Maybe that was something else... hmmm should work the same

That or just have them sit down and listen to or play a game or Monster or Little Fears

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »
So we finished the game last night, went pretty well, the game as said was run in CoCD20 but it would have played easily in MaOCT or even Dirty World the way it turned out XD. Had a hostage situation/standoff in a farmhouse as the two suspects were attempting to forcibly take the land deed from the proper owners and evidence was found to suggest that the mayor of the local town was being bribed by the suspect to relinquish the land over to them. all in all my buddies were tired but enjoyed the game. (we usually play these at 1-5 in the morning). They achieved all the mini plot threads I had come up with and there was a nice resolution. Though now they want an intelligent animal companion of there own.

Next stop: Florida, where some strange ruins have been uncovered after a "devil worshiping" cult bust.still gotta thoroughly plot it out but should be a little more cthulhu-y and less Don Bluth-y.

on a side note, has anyone given legitimate thought to running a "Chip'n'Dales Rescue Ranger" game in a Dirty World? :)
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any Sand Shark myths or lore in the real world? I'm trying to see if there is a legendary monster in real world lore that is a land shark or sand shark? For a game i want to run for my paranormal gaming group.

Closest I got to was an Azi Dahaka and that's more of dragon than anything.
Liquid Water?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
Can't find anything. And I tried. Looked for an hour. Might be something but it basically looks like people who lived in desert climates didn't invision fish attacking them.

There is this dubious entry, which I rather like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwalker

And then there's this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petsuchos

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
Can't find anything. And I tried. Looked for an hour. Might be something but it basically looks like people who lived in desert climates didn't invision fish attacking them.

There is this dubious entry, which I rather like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwalker

And then there's this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petsuchos

Every little bit helps, and I'm intrigued by the Sandwalker, I can definitely incorporate that for my game along with the Petsuchos for another aspect. Thanks for taking the time.

Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
So I've been mulling over what I have found on the Azi Dahaka, and reeling in what I found out about the Sandwalker (Thanks again Tad) and mixing it with my own fictional Mythos. I have created an entity that has been locked beneath the Middle East for countless centuries. And because of a conflict in the 70's involving some artillery fire, a chance impact in the right location unlocked the Vault that housed this abomination and it terrorized the Middle East for nearly 5 years before a paramilitary group of the Israeli government was able to track it down and managed to subdue the beast. It's been in containment aboard a disused oil rig in the Gulf since then, dormant... waiting. It's flesh is some kind inky viscous substance, unclassified by modern science which seems absorb light and manipulate EM fields in varying ways. The scientist on the project believe that with the right application it could be a fantastic new energy source. How ever the entity codenamed Vector: SANDWALKER, while contained is highly volatile and hazardous to human health in close proximity and many lives were lost in both it capture and the facilities maintenance.

And thats the "rough" backdrop for the Azi Dahaka entity that I will be dropping (literally) on my players at some point in the Future. Had a design that was relatively "flashy" but decided to tweak my concept and draw from the less is more functionality of the Cthulhu Mythos.

Liquid Water?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 05:23:17 PM »
That's pretty sweet; you'd get some great "what the fuck?!"-ery from having that pop up out of the dark.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
I certainly hope so. XD

Cant actually throw this at my group until one of my players character's kick the bucket, and he switches to an Israeli Ex-paramilitary operative he's planned out. I want to tie it to that character.
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 03:13:25 PM »

This is the entity my players faced in a scenario loosely based on a portion from Caleb's "Preemptive Revenge" game.

It started as a street-level Call of Cthulhu game (simple set of murder investigations with strange influences) and then evolved into a mid-high-level Call of Cthulhu game (Coming face to face with the mythos/monster or god).
Liquid Water?

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
That is a pretty boss picture dude. I'd love to hear that game someday.