Author Topic: Recruitment Thread - The Horror of/in Shadylane Retirement Farm [RISUS]  (Read 51984 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Shadylane Retirement farm seemed like such a nice place when your kids showed you the fliers. Retirees walked under blooming magnolia trees with wide smiles on their faces. There were promises of Bingo and Karaoke nights and a monthly ice cream social. It seemed, that is to say, a nice place for someone else.

Then your kids told you to pack up your stuff because Shadylane Retirement was where you were going to spend the rest of your forgotten days. To which your reply was, of course, "Who the fuck cares about ice cream socials when you're lactose intolerant?"

So against your will, Shadylane Retirement is now your permanent residence. But at least you have made a few acquaintances that share your bitter hatred of the place. Except, now some feeling has come creeping over you that something is seriously amiss at the farm. Something that only your cadre can adjust your hearing aids to the correct frequency to hear.

This will be a Risus game, which is freely available here: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/downloads.htm

Everyone must use the "Geezer" archetype found in the "Sample Cliches" (pg. 2). Characters are built as normal. 10 points, no more than 4 dice in a single aspect.

All dice will be rolled in a post. I will allow players to narrate their success or failure within reason.

[EDIT]: One house rule I forgot to mention, every player must make a minimum of one "Back in my day" joke per post.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:28:29 PM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

arthwollipot

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
I'm interested, but not being familiar with the play-by-post format I think I'd prefer to lurk a game before actually committing myself.
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Play-by-post format is relatively straight forward. It's more narrative based than dice based. Each post is composed of a maximum of four sections three of which are optional.

1. Narrative description of what your character is doing.

2. A description of the skills your character will use to accomplish a task in bold. (optional)

3. The dice roller, if such dice rolling is necessary. (optional)

4. Out of character comments in italics. (optional)

The best way to think about play-by-post, in my opinion, is to think about it as group story telling where the GM simply acts as a narrator to keep the plot together.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

arthwollipot

• View Profile
I'm all for narrative storytelling. Okay, I'm in. I suppose I need to create a character first?
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
I'll play, I just need sometime to think of the cliches for my character.

I'll be playing James Woodson, a "real world" variant on one of my recurring DnD characters. He's a former lawyer who sports a big mustache, a thin frame, and talks like James Mason (which, of course, will be completely lost in text formate but oh well). His real last case was in 1979, he's been on paperwork and prep work for the last thirty years until he finally couldn't keep up with the law anymore and got bumped into retirement.

His hearing has been on steady decline, as has his eyesight (probably for dimlight and tons of paperwork) but his memory is still working alright.

Addition:

Okay, got James about sewed up:

Geezer 2
Pre-80s Lawyer 3
Post-80s Lawyer 1
Barber 1
Bureaucrat 3

I wasn't sure how to apply the penalities specifically to the cliches, I didn't see anything about that in the rules. Another example or two would be helpful.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:07:30 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
I wasn't sure how to apply the penalities specifically to the cliches, I didn't see anything about that in the rules. Another example or two would be helpful.

I must have been channeling some other gaming system, so don't worry about that. I've also taken it out of the recruitment thread starter.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Well then in that case I believe I am ready to roll.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Well then in that case I believe I am ready to roll.

Now we just need 3 or 4 more players. :D

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile

Would it be against the spirit of the game to stat up my grandfather?
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile

Would it be against the spirit of the game to stat up my grandfather?

Stat up whoever/whatever you want. As long as he/she/it doesn't mind. If I was play, and I may stat him up as an NPC anyway, I'd have played the guy that lived across the street from us when I was a kid. Actually, there were two old guys. Both were WW2 Special Forces vets with all the tattoos on their arms to prove it. They also owned something like 20 cars between the two of them. All of which ran, but none of which were in that great a shape.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Robert Davenport

Geezer 2
Experimental Artist 4
Get off my lawn you damn kids 1
Burned out Bohemian 3

Robert was a rebellious sort, even as a kid. As a teen, he ran away from home, went to New York City and decided to become an artist. He bluffed his way into working as a gofer for prestigious art studio and his absolute belief in his abilities and skills allowed him to rise in the New York art scene. He rubbed elbows with Andy Warhol and Kenneth Anger and became a well regarded but minor artist. Eventually, he married and settled down as a gallery owner. He got burned out on the art scene and suffered a stroke, ending his career. He's recovered almost entirely from the stroke but his family put him in a home rather than suffer his ego anymore.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Confirmed:

Tad
Ross

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Let me take a look at the rules. I might play too.

I'm on a Mac, so hopefully everything will download for me to see.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Q

• View Profile
Re: Recruitment Thread - The Horror of/in Shadylane Retirement Farm [RISUS]
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
Am I missing something, or did this game lose its steam?  I'd love to play if we could get this game going again.  I'm picturing an old, cantankerous, Republican war veteran with a few missing appendages and a perpetual axe to grind.  Whaddya say?