Author Topic: PT Boat vs the Yamato  (Read 5166 times)

Killwatch

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
PT Boat vs the Yamato
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »
So I was listening to the podcast (love it) but then you came up with this.
I am firmly in the camp of let the dice fall where they may, BUT with everyone scoring Crits, which takes the action out of the realm of Skill and places it into Luck then you no longer have an argument. It is a freak incident, and would have been one of those stories that they wold have marveled at for years to come. I think a  yes and response would have been in order

BUT you guys brought up what was in line with the genre? REALLY? :-\

You mean like a small x-wing destroying a moonsized base? That kind or crazy?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: PT Boat vs the Yamato
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
That's a good point but not every genre encourages or even allows that kind of action. Also, the entire final battle of Star Wars was structured around that shot. Making the shot was the plan of the rebels and the problem they had was getting a fighter into position to make that shot. Also, Luke had a magical ability that allowed him to make the shot, which he had to train for but in order to make it he had to fly across the trench of the Death Star while being attacked by Darth Vader and the other defenders. A more apt comparison would be if all the rebel ships fired at the Death Star and it blew up after 1 round or if the first X-Wing to get in range of the Death Star made the shot and blew it up.

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: PT Boat vs the Yamato
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »
You have to look at this with common sense.   In theory a PT Boat could take out the Yamato.  The PT Boat is a combat vessel that can actually be armed with torpeodes capable of punching a hole in a cruiser or battleship.  On the other hand the a YT1300 does not carry the fire power capable of blowing up a star destroyer.  The freighter is not designed or geared to blow up a capital ship.

There are always alternatives to describe what happened.  The freighter in the example could have destroyed the bridge of the star destroyer, killing the captain/admiral and disabling the ship thus avoid any possible pursuit.  Or SD's systems were disrupted and the turbolift carrying the rat bastard ISB agent who can finger the players for their unkosher fails and drops 97 levels, killing the agent before she can report in what he knows about the players.

Or the PT boat wrecks the propellers on the Yamato and radios to the the USS Enterprise that the Yamato is a sitting duck and to send in the dive bombers.  They all get metals for braving withering enemy fire and disabling the enemy's flagship.
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"