Author Topic: Anyone want to play a Chaosium BRP adventure I wrote?  (Read 45934 times)

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Anyone want to play a Chaosium BRP adventure I wrote?
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:14:41 PM »
The Chaosium site is currently running two contests. One is just a BRP (Basic Role Playing) adventure, and the other is a horror adventure that can be either Cthulhu or BRP.

I'm entering both contests, and I've completed my BRP adventure.

My adventure is set in WWII, and the players are Special Forces Rangers with psychic powers versus Nazi trying to develope psychic powers.

This would be a fun adventure for 5 to 7 players. Anyone want to play?
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Anyone want to play a Chaosium BRP adventure I wrote?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »
I will. My gaming itch hasn't been scratched properly for going on two weeks and even in pike session I'm always ready to play another game.

So, how does BRP work? I assume from the name that it involves roleplaying and is somewhat basic in its nature.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:51:18 PM »
Quote from: Tadanori Oyama

So, how does BRP work? I assume from the name that it involves roleplaying and is somewhat basic in its nature.

I think our buddy Jon means Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System...i.e., the core mechanics are identical to CoC, but the ruleset is generalized so that the games need not feature Horrors Which Mankind Was Not Meant To Know.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:06:35 PM »
Is this a free system or will the purchase of something be required?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:25:05 PM »
Hey Tad, Dawn is absolutely correct. The Basic Role Playing system (BRP) is Chaosium's generic ruleset. If you can play Call of Cthulhu, you can play a game being run with BRP rules.

Dragon, email me at jonhook@gmail.com
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »
Cool. I'll try and get a refresher than, my CoC book is from the mid-eighties I believe. From what I've been told the underlying rules haven't changed much since then, I'll mostly want to refresh on details.

I'm always up for playing a game and if that means buying another book I'm in favor of it. I read roleplaying manuals for games I'll likely never play for the fun of it so more in the pile is great.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:36:23 PM »
I'll play. Give me some specifics. Or link me the recruitment thread.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »
Quote from: Tadanori Oyama
I read roleplaying manuals for games I'll likely never play for the fun of it so more in the pile is great.

Thank the Cathartic Lobster that there is more than just me.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »

Hilarious ;D

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »

Hey Seth,

Here are the specifics: Using the BRP rules, you will play the role of a Special Forces Ranger with psychic powers in WWII. The US government has learned that the Nazis are trying to develop their own psychic program. Your mission is to infiltrate their research camp and stop their research, capture their scientists, and capture any research materials you can find.

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »
Players list...

Is this correct?

Definite YES:
Tadanori Oyama
Setherick

These are MAYBES:
Dawnsteel
Dragonshaos
Maze

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »

Hey Seth,

Here are the specifics: Using the BRP rules, you will play the role of a Special Forces Ranger with psychic powers in WWII. The US government has learned that the Nazis are trying to develop their own psychic program. Your mission is to infiltrate their research camp and stop their research, capture their scientists, and capture any research materials you can find.

Cool. I just have the CoC main book and not the BRP one, but I assume that the characters will be pregens since it is for a contest. Or do I need to make my own?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
Cool. I just have the CoC main book and not the BRP one, but I assume that the characters will be pregens since it is for a contest. Or do I need to make my own?

You will need to generate your own character, but it'll be very easy. Once we are ready to begin I'll have info for everyone to build a character.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »
Is there a special source for BRP rules? As I said, my CoC rules are from the 1980s.

For creation, would you prefer rolls on the boards or use of the honor system and RL dice rolls?

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 02:03:57 PM »
Once we lock-in the players, I want to organize via the boards a group character creation. This way everyone is aware of the kind of character everyone else is playing. There is a reason for this, and it is mainly due to the fact that you are all military people. So each of you will have a rank.

Only one player will get to be an officer, one player will get to be a sargent, and everyone else will be corporal or below.

So we'll either have a group concensus of who's gonna be what rank, or we can have roll-offs for certain ranks.

There is also the need to balance the squad, so one guy might be the demolitions dude, and another may be the sniper, etc, etc, etc.

So, I'm not concerned about people rolling their characters in secret or not, it just due to the fact that I want you guys to design a well-balanced team that I want the group creation session.