Author Topic: The RPPR Catchphrase, In-joke, and Obscure Reference Appreciation Station  (Read 327893 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
So it occurs to me that we make references during AP episodes that some listeners may not understand. Thus, I am making a thread that will canonically answer every dumb thing we've said over the course of many, many games. Please ask or answer as many references as you can. I'll start

"A Broken Toy for your Broken Home"

Said by: Tom, usually.

Origin: During a playtest of the Road Trip campaign, (The Sentai Rangers chapter) Jason's character broke a toy and returned it to a NPC  while saying "here's a broken toy for your broken home."

Atlas

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
So it occurs to me that we make references during AP episodes that some listeners may not understand. Thus, I am making a thread that will canonically answer every dumb thing we've said over the course of many, many games. Please ask or answer as many references as you can. I'll start

"A Broken Toy for your Broken Home"

Said by: Tom, usually.

Origin: During a playtest of the Road Trip campaign, (The Sentai Rangers chapter) Jason's character broke a toy and returned it to a NPC  while saying "here's a broken toy for your broken home."

You should explain the whole plot and dialogue of Ghostbusters in case someone doesn't get the million references Aaron and Tom make to it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
All the things here and then some: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/trivia?tab=qt

Said by: Tom, Aaron, and Thad.

Origins: Listen... do you smell something?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
"I walk between the raindrops."
Everybody uses this one; more of a theme than a catch phrase. I assume stolen from AB3's stories since you guys did that one as an audio play.

"I am so sorry"
Aaron's refrain, usually after doing something highly foolish that makes the game more interesting and followed by the other players saying "No, it's okay".

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
"I walk between the raindrops."
Everybody uses this one; more of a theme than a catch phrase. I assume stolen from AB3's stories since you guys did that one as an audio play.

Specifically the Achy Breaky Mythos http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?14851-Achy-Breaky-Mythos

Capitalocracy

• View Profile
"I am so sorry"
Aaron's refrain, usually after doing something highly foolish that makes the game more interesting and followed by the other players saying "No, it's okay".
Actually, sometimes he says it right BEFORE doing one of those things...

Atlas

• View Profile
Specifically the Achy Breaky Mythos http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?14851-Achy-Breaky-Mythos

"I'll drop you like a wet taco." is still one of my all time favorite quotes. I think it's the imagery of it that really sells it.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Well Frog Jesus Dried up for your sins.

I add one to my dark spiral aura.

Frog Snatch...

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
"THERE'S MONSTERS IN THE SCHOOL, TOM!"

Origin (explained in episode 40 "First Time DMing"):  A game from the Curriculum of Conspiracy, wherein Tom questioned the omnipresent abilities of a monster.

Cayrus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Well crap, I registered to ask about "there's monsters in the school, Tom" only to come back and find it had just been answered.  So I'll think of another one...

"Fuck his head" springs to mind.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
When someone asks you if you are a god. You say yes

Origin: From Ghost Busters . I first heard it used in the Know Evil campaign when SIROC/Aaron encountered Augustine.  But it has been used a few times since.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:08:10 AM by Gorkamorka »
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.

"I'm Ernie Hudson. I have Hepatitis  C."

Origin: The unrecorded first game Cody ever played in. This was his character, who would always say this. Ernie sacrificed himself at the end for the group because, you know...

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
That dam parrot!
Mostly said by Ross.

Origin: Because the investigators found a live parrot in a cage, in a sealed plastic box, from a storage shed full of occult scary stuff in Calebs 'Lover in the Ice playtest'.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile
I believe the phrase is "cum shitters"

Origin, good ol Cody being Cody.
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Following any awkward or stilted RP moment, someone will end the scene with "ROLEPLAYING!"

Not sure what the origin of this one is.