Author Topic: The RPPR Catchphrase, In-joke, and Obscure Reference Appreciation Station  (Read 327966 times)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Oh and don't forget the semi-recent trend of pointing out that climbing is easier up than it is down. Now matter the illogical steps taken by certain game designers to decide that.

Also, Caleb's quote "I don't play World of Darkness."
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Now was that quote before or after the sequel to "Anderson Island" where he played World of Darkness? XD
Liquid Water?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Check the date of the episode and then consider when the Kickstarter rewards came out and you will have your answer. Hint: it's after.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
I thought so.  ;D
Liquid Water?

Cayrus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
"Show me potato salad!"

One of Tom's.  A reference to family fued, but I'm not sure of the exact origin.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
"Show me potato salad!"

One of Tom's.  A reference to family fued, but I'm not sure of the exact origin.

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

vthings

• View Profile
I just like those moments when Caleb hits this stumped silence in response to something Aaron has said his character is going to do.  The aforementioned orange grove confrontation being probably the most, iconic I guess, of these moments.  Or when Thad takes a moment to acknowledge just how horrific what is going on, or more likely what the other players are doing, actually is.

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
More of a trope rather than an in-joke or obscure reference, Aaron's Idealistic characters teeming with lovable social awkwardness and irrational balls-deep reckless heroism.
Sometimes while listening to APs I find myself muttering to myself "oh Aaron... why?"

This sounds harsh but its meant in all the best ways.

Don't ever change.

Tim

• View Profile
I sometimes think that Aaron might just be an unbelievably committed performance artist and this has all been a long con. Then I think no way, it is too elaborate for one man to pull off for so long. Then I remember the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist.

joecrak

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
While I enjoy the climbing up is easier complaint, I don't really get the aggravation behind it.  I'm guessing because having two climb skills is redundant?

Cause in terms of difficulty climbing down can be much harder than climbing up, unless you're rappelling. When climbing up you generally have a better sense of what is ahead of you. It's more difficult climbing down as it can be harder to see the secure footholds and gripping points, so you could end in a spot where your foot is searching blind.
Freedom is not a license for chaos.

Froggycleric

• View Profile
Hello... Billy?
Also Murder Hoboing, which is what i now refer to as adventuring, which i think i took from Caleb.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
If I recall correctly Caleb made a point that "murder hobo" can be used as a description of virtually any PC. The vast majority of Player Characters have no identity or background, no family, and they almost always kill people after knowing them for extremely short amounts of time. The typical PC more resembles a spree killer than a heroic icon.

Tim

• View Profile
I think at one point I considered (as have many other people I am sure) running a game where the PCs mission was to deal with the aftermath from a dangerous group of madmen who rolled through town that turned out to be the last group of PCs the players had played.

I did not choose the Murder Hobo Life, the Murder Hobo Life choose me.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
If I recall correctly Caleb made a point that "murder hobo" can be used as a description of virtually any PC. The vast majority of Player Characters have no identity or background, no family, and they almost always kill people after knowing them for extremely short amounts of time. The typical PC more resembles a spree killer than a heroic icon.

Murderhobo comes from 4chan originally - I think I brought into the RPPR parlance but its definitely a 4chan phrase http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Murderhobo

Kemlin Dragos

• View Profile

--- In Soviet Russia .. Blank blanks YOU! ( I know I've heard it before RPPR, but cannot place it)

-- The Siberia joke ( which I can't remember if it began in one of the Divine Fire games or in "The Dangers of Fraternization")