Author Topic: The RPPR Catchphrase, In-joke, and Obscure Reference Appreciation Station  (Read 327947 times)

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Hello... Billy?

Friday the 13th, primarily the 1st one but just as applicable to the rest of them, nearly 70% of the movie is people walking around the dark yelling HELLO? (and in the first there was a character named Billy, and like 10 solid minutes of HELLO...BILLY?)

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
"TETSUOOO!!" Followed by "KANEDAAAA!" - Referenced by Tom, Ross, and I think Caleb did at some point too.

It's from Akira, the Japanese Anime movie. The two main characters really like screaming each other's names.

(Spoilers in the video, by the way)
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Tim

• View Profile
I have always been fond of "take that" <insert interest group whom you had just offended>

ThadExMachina

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • I put these words inside your brain.
    • View Profile
I have always been fond of "take that" <insert interest group whom you had just offended>

Yeah!

Take that, other catchphrases!
"You who read me, are you sure you understand my language?"
--Jorge Luis Borges

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
My absolute favorite of ALL the catchphrases.

I use it at least once every 3 days.

"Shit just got real. Shit got so real it's unreal again!"
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Have we done: "Does that make sense?"

This was Ross's but now Caleb seems to be trotting it out fairly often.

edwardian_adventurer

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Edwardian Adventuerer Blog
I was listening to Dark Sun part 1 at work today. Tom kept mentioning doughnuts.

Dawnsteel

• Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile

Ross crits his warning shot deck gun roll. "Take THAT, ocean!"
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Cayrus

• View Profile
"Are you a cop?  You have to tell me if you're a cop."

Henry Hankovitch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
The joke originated in the second Divine Fire game with the MGB agents.  Occasionally Stalin would pop out of nowhere and say something to the effect of:

More specifically, I believe it was Ross who would threaten other players with Sibera if they failed a dice roll.  The running joke became how consistently it seemed to work.

On a different note, I think I heard the "MATT DAAMOOON" line for over a year of podcast listening before finding out it was from Team America: World Police.  Because I still haven't watched Team America.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:59:56 PM by Henry Hankovitch »

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
I really like, and use "Because we are adults: potty trained and college educated."

Originated with Cody and is more fully explained during the Horrible Monster Brainwashing PCs-gate.

Also layers upon layers, and the resulting tapestry are also in Fear of Girls:

My new fav however is "Goddamnit Jason." Sometimes it is other people, but mostly Jason said by whoever is GMing at the time.

"He's like Lex Luther x10!" For Axegore the Ogre slave trader for filing suit against the PCs.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:38:32 AM by Shallazar »
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

blue_hitchhiker

• View Profile
After listening to "Know Evil" and the "Heroes of New Arcadia" I noticed how much Tom loves making fun of Detroit.  Example from Episode 14 of Know Evil when the PCs have just returned from PCR in time for Fall Day featuring images from pre-Fall Earth and Post-Fall Earth "Well that picture of Detroit looks pretty much the same"

ThadExMachina

• I put these words inside your brain.
    • View Profile
"We want information. Information... Information..."

From the intro to The Prisoner, the absolute best in psychedelic conspiracy spy thrillers that British television in the late '60s had to offer. Usually referenced by Tom.

If you have not seen this show, just watch it. And read nothing about it beforehand.

The referenced dialogue is about 2:08 into the video below.

"You who read me, are you sure you understand my language?"
--Jorge Luis Borges

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
The best part of The Prisoner is the last episode when he decides to detonate the nuclear reactor underneath the facility. In the 60s, everything could be solved by nuclear blasts.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tim

• View Profile
The best part of The Prisoner is the last episode when he decides to detonate the nuclear reactor underneath the facility. In the 60s, everything could be solved by nuclear blasts.

Now the kids are all solving their problems with Nano this and Nano that. Guess it is still better than those poor folks in the 90s having to solve their issues with Cyber Everything.