Author Topic: Monster Manual 2  (Read 10607 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Monster Manual 2
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:46:25 AM »
MM2 for Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition hit streets yesterday. I'll be grabbing my copy at the game shop after work today.

More interesting is that D&D Game Day is this weekend. Anyone else hitting a shop for the delve?

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Manual 2
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »
I was at the PHB2 game day a few months back, the module was pretty ridiculous. The high level PCs squared off against a dire bear and some kind of mud creatures in the first encounter, and one of the characters kept knocking the dire bear prone so we could all whoop up on him. By the end of it, the bear died without doing anything remarkable, and he was easily the strongest enemy on the table. We labeled him Proney the Failbear. I have the mini, I keep it on my desk as a reminder.

Corrosive Rabbit

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:09:28 PM »
The name "Proney the Failbear" will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day -- thank you.   :D

CR
A bullet may have your name on it, but hand grenades are like spam for the battlefield.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »
My players used every bear pun they could think of.

I was just happy to blow the barn up ontop of them when the Spiral Demon artilery rolled a natural 1. I also liked the Quickling Runner in the first fight because he kept putting holes in the Barbarian, til he got caught in a flank and went down hard.

This time around it's all minis from the new set so I'll ready for the new free swag.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
I'm planning on DMing for tomorrow. Don't think I'm getting MM2 yet because my plans to run D&D4 may have been nuked. I won't know for sure until after tomorrow night.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 11:30:40 PM »
I picked up MM2. Love it. Great new beasties to throw into the mix.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 01:58:59 AM »
Got a copy with a 40% coupon at Borders. Neat stuff. Didn't use it yet in tonight's New World game but that's because I already had 2 encounters ready to go.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:13 AM »
Oh yeah, I learned something about the normal flesh golem in tonight's game.

Small area + flesh golem + golem rampage when bloodied = shit tons of damage for everyone, including the golem. The rampages lets it move through the squares of characters and makes an attack. Of course people can make AoO on it BUT it has an immediate reaction at will power that lets it attack you if it is damaged by an attack. So since every PC made an AoO on it, it attacked them twice on its rampage. And it does 2d8+5 damage plus it dazes them per hit.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:41 AM »
oh and diseases are hilarious especially cackle fever and mummy rot.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 02:25:17 AM »
I do love giving players diseases, especially the ones who said things like "I'm never gonna need Endurance, this is a urban setting".

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »

My planned excursion to my FLGS was thwarted by small children, so I missed out on the dungeon-crawlin' fun.  How'd it go, who or what got eaten by a rust monster?  (Don't even TRY and tell me WotC didn't stick a rust monster in that delve.)  I downloaded the 5 pregen characters, they look like fun.
Bear in mind, I haven't gotten to play 4E yet...my gaming group is scattered to the four winds.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »

My planned excursion to my FLGS was thwarted by small children, so I missed out on the dungeon-crawlin' fun.  How'd it go, who or what got eaten by a rust monster?  (Don't even TRY and tell me WotC didn't stick a rust monster in that delve.)  I downloaded the 5 pregen characters, they look like fun.
Bear in mind, I haven't gotten to play 4E yet...my gaming group is scattered to the four winds.

I ran the delve with a few friends. They were undermanned (3 players) but they did their best...and died in the boss fight. 3 fights total plus a skill challenge. First fight was a breeze. Second fight had 2 rust monsters, who promptly ate 2 magic items (they are limited to eating 1 item per fight although they can rust weapons, giving them penalties to attack) and in the last fight, the uber kobold priest decimated with repeated area attacks. They managed to kill the priest but the remaining 2 orcs killed them off.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
My dragonpriest rolled a 6 on every recharge roll. Our party was undersided though (6 players) with a double on the Barbarian so they managed to Rage their way through in the end. Still go two of the three PCs down on the ground before the end though. Good times.