Author Topic: Fortunes of War - the RPPR Iron Heroes campaign  (Read 72556 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Fortunes of War - the RPPR Iron Heroes campaign
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2013, 11:57:11 PM »
oh man, first new episode since November for some of you  8)

joecrak

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
So I absolutely love the concept and background of this campaign, a few questions though.

Why the decision to use the Iron Heroes rules, and I suppose this follow up could serve for a topic on your podcast, what makes you want to try certain systems?

The description and some of your mechanics are incredibly similar to one of my personal favorite games L5R, and with some tweaking I could see all the PCs as ronin thrust into similar scenarios having to follow various armies into war with foreign lands, each member trying to comete for specific markets.

Any chance of you coming to an east coast con to run a game...please?
Freedom is not a license for chaos.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
oh man, first new episode since November for some of you  8)

No worries, been trucking through Know Evil again in the absence. Looking forward to crazy fantasy shenanigans though!

fake edit: "WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOOX"

Real Edit: Yes please come to the East Coast!

joecrak

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »
DexCon is coming up...just saying.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
So I absolutely love the concept and background of this campaign, a few questions though.

Why the decision to use the Iron Heroes rules, and I suppose this follow up could serve for a topic on your podcast, what makes you want to try certain systems?

The description and some of your mechanics are incredibly similar to one of my personal favorite games L5R, and with some tweaking I could see all the PCs as ronin thrust into similar scenarios having to follow various armies into war with foreign lands, each member trying to comete for specific markets.

I ran an Iron Heroes campaign way back in 2005 that was incredibly fun for everyone involved. Since then, I wanted to run one more IH campaign.

I should try to to go the east coast again. Once Base Raiders is out, I'll look at my options. Ah, the life of a freelancer - it's all feast or famine :D

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »

it's all feast or famine :D

My understanding was that it was all famine or less famine.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »

I ran an Iron Heroes campaign way back in 2005 that was incredibly fun for everyone involved. Since then, I wanted to run one more IH campaign.

I should try to to go the east coast again. Once Base Raiders is out, I'll look at my options. Ah, the life of a freelancer - it's all feast or famine :D

The 2005 IH was the absolute best game I've ever been in. It's such a shame that it didn't get recorded. Somewhere out there there is a soulless hunter still searching for a way to get a new soul.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

joecrak

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »

If you come I'll be super grateful!

Not really a selling point....

Regardless i devoured the three episodes today and yesterday.  Love it, like all your games, and like many of your listeners no doubt, wish i was in it.

I feel no guilt in saying that I was kind of hoping Aaron's character would have bit it in the second episode, he would have brought it upon himself!

Caleb's plan in the latest was so amazing, I want to run an L5R game for you guys just to see him try and black mail everyone, especially the other players. 

PaperGangster

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »

Caleb's plan in the latest was so amazing, I want to run an L5R game for you guys just to see him try and black mail everyone, especially the other players.

Throughout the campaign, I got to watch the assorted Caleb plots, Caleb plans, Caleb schemes, and Caleb operations come to fruition.  Never once did I ever think to myself "That is insane; there's NO WAY that could work!" whenever he had an idea; instead, the thought was "Of course this will work.  Caleb came up with it."  But therein lies the magic of it; as long as we worked in concert with him, we were part of the plan and thus valuable allies to be used for the better success of the endeavor.

If we played L5R and the goal was to take us all out via blackmail, I think the safest course of action would be to start off the game by giving him the incriminating evidence and directly swearing fealty to him in order to be the last one killed; the only way to beat him is to become his lackey and join him.

joecrak

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
Well, maybe not the goal, but entertaining side stories.