Author Topic: Wow... The Backlog  (Read 20389 times)

ethan_dawe

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Wow... The Backlog
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 03:30:55 PM »
How are you finding Pathfinder?

I've run 3.5 and am playing it now. Plus we played a small bit of fourth. I was interested in seeing how Pathfinder's "fixes" played out in actual gameplay. FWIW I still expect high level play to be busted  :D

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »
Pathfinder's 'fixes' weren't. There are some things that are better and some things that are worse, but it's still 3.5 with warts and all. High level play was not substantially improved.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »
I remember flipping through the core book and finding the wizard entry. They made wizards stronger. I sighed. It's still good; it's like D&D 3.5 continued. Some of the new classes are really cool.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »

What about the crews run of "Lover Before the Ice"? I know Caleb linked to some of the guys from The Drunk and the Ugly playing it for their backer reward, but I thought he said during our backer game that the RPPR crew had playtested it and "Thad was in full Hunter S. Thompson". Would not want to miss that game.

Seconded.
Liquid Water?

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
They did clean up a few rules but overall it's just the next patch onto the 3rd edition rules so still a ways to go.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »
I remember flipping through the core book and finding the wizard entry. They made wizards stronger. I sighed. It's still good; it's like D&D 3.5 continued. Some of the new classes are really cool.

so is it like the olde days when wizards could cast km-wide fireballs and be a floating battleship with magic missile (no save death)?
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
Yes. And now concentration isn't a skill, and they get additional class features, and expanded spells.
Fighters still just hit things, though they do so a little harder now.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »

I've run 3.5 and am playing it now. Plus we played a small bit of fourth. I was interested in seeing how Pathfinder's "fixes" played out in actual gameplay. FWIW I still expect high level play to be busted  :D

It's not quite Lady Gaga 2.0, but it's definitely quite silly.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 10:28:34 PM »

It's not quite Lady Gaga 2.0, but it's definitely quite silly.

With a warforged gunslinger in the mix and a group of sardonic players? Say it ain't so Ross!

CommissarKip

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Weedlord Bonerhitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
I really like Pathfinder. I've been playing it and GMing it for the last year or so.

GMing is great if you run some of the Paizo stuff - the modules are easy to work through and players don't feel like they are getting railroaded like in other modules (we played some 4e D&D stuff and they were complaining about railroading).

Playing is cool as well - I'm currently playing a level 5 Fighter (3) / Cavalier (2) and I've got no qualms with the system.

The think I like the most is that, even though we all have the official print books, you can still quickly look up everything you need rules wise by going to http://www.d20pfsrd.com/.

All in all, I like Pathfinder.

Now, I've been thinking about running a Fallout Gurps game with my group (the last AP got me interested) but I'd like to try something new altogether. We already tried Paranoia (Success), and Eclipse Phase (Success). Anyone have any other games that are easy to pick up?

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
Pathfinder's 'fixes' weren't. There are some things that are better and some things that are worse, but it's still 3.5 with warts and all. High level play was not substantially improved.

While I agree it's fixes weren't really true fixes for the true inherent problem of the system itself, I can't think of a single thing it does worse.

Every change I can think of made the game better.

The only thing I found distasteful was the major nerf to Power Attack and the Spiked Chain. They treated the symptom of Angel Summoner/BMX Bandit but didn't do enough to eliminate it.

Otherwise nothing else in the system really bothers me.

I've been playing a Sorcerer  for over a year and for a class I flat out refused to play in 3.5, I find it a lot of fun.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.