Author Topic: Launching an investigation  (Read 5360 times)

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Launching an investigation
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
Im kinda halfway working on a game based in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Witchcraft world (a MLP abridged parody), and am kinda stuck right at the beginning. So could use a little advice on how to get stuff started.

For a little backstory;
Princess Cadence Notevil Goodpony has gone missing on her wedding day (the pcs wouldnt know, but shes basically
murdered by Twilight Sparkle
so she
could marry her own brother
(they're not biologically related though, so its totally not creepy) )

The PC's are refugees from Ponyville, who were left homeless after the Moon crashed into the town and fires ravaged through it (also Twilight's fault) and a terrifying tentacled monstrosity began engulfing parts of the town.

They were helped by the kindness of Princess Cadence Notevil Goodpony's various charities. Given food by the food drives she organized, and even their new homes were hoof built by the Princess herself on lands she personally dug mines out of after the war to make room for the housing and the playground in the park she regularly visited to tend the gardens where she grew organic vegetables to give to the poor.
---
From there though, I'm not sure how to tie them into starting to investigate what happened. My current thoughts are:

1. detective Hard Boiled, (who is a cliche'd noir private detective) thinks they had something to do with it, and is hell bent on pinning it on them, so they need to clear their names. (theyd all have ties to her in one way or another)
2. they work for Hard Boiled who wants to get to the bottom of it. (probably the easiest, but seems a cop out)
3. as they've been helped out tremendously by her charities they want to find her out of love and friendship (unlikely, as the defining characteristic of most all characters in FiW is they're pretty much sociopaths.)
4. just out for the reward
5. conspiracy theorists who think she was a robot the whole time and found out, causing an existential crisis catapulting her into a destructive rage and the Robot Police destroyed her and covered up the story, so theyre out to get the truth.
6. They're members of Cadence's country's government, tasked with finding her
7. They're robots programmed to find her
8. They're members of the Robot Police, who suspect she was a robot that went rogue after trying to marry her fiance only to realize she can't love, and they think she's hiding out plotting to destroy all that is good and biological so they want to find her to destroy her first.
9. Princess Molestia's fangirls/fanboys/deviant art friends, who hate Twilight and want to destroy her to get Molestia back on the throne to control the moon, so instantly suspect her even without proof and want to frame her if it comes to that.
10. just glance over the part of why, and make people say why as part of their characters backstory?

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Launching an investigation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:32:30 PM »
I can only imagine a FiW game devolving into player-on-player antagonism, like every Paranoia game ever.

Still, it sounds hilarious if you can get the right group.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:59:09 PM »
Somewhat related - Ponies for Pathfinder

Add ponies to your Pathfinder game with minimal fuss or muss. No gag spells or overpowered feats. Balanced options allow you to play established material, as a pony, or make up your own campaigns set in a land limited only by your imagination.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!