Author Topic: cthulhutech campaign ideas  (Read 8776 times)

elric

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
cthulhutech campaign ideas
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »
im planning on running a cthulhutech game during the summer...i dont know if its gonna be investigator or mech based, but if it's investigator im planning on just taking old call of cthulhu scenarios and modernizing them(horror on the orient 737...the mp3 of erich zann...etc etc)

now, is this a good idea, the worst idea ever or a good idea, but it'll take some work?

Corrosive Rabbit

• View Profile
Re: cthulhutech campaign ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:52:31 AM »
Sounds like a winner to me -- Horror On The Orient 737 made me chuckle right away.   :D

You could have a ton of fun updating old Cthulhu mythos scenarios and stories, especially if you have players who are familiar with the old versions.  It'd be great to see the look of horror on their face if you cloaked it well enough that it took them a while to realize what story they were trapped in.

CR
A bullet may have your name on it, but hand grenades are like spam for the battlefield.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »
Retelling old stories in new ways is a favorite of mine. It also gives you the change to fix holes in the situation that might have allowed the players to escape alive last time.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:24:38 PM »
Retelling old stories in new ways is a favorite of mine. It also gives you the change to fix holes in the situation that might have allowed the players to escape alive last time.

Dirty pool, old boy... dirty pool.  ;D
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
im planning on running a cthulhutech game during the summer...i dont know if its gonna be investigator or mech based, but if it's investigator im planning on just taking old call of cthulhu scenarios and modernizing them(horror on the orient 737...the mp3 of erich zann...etc etc)

now, is this a good idea, the worst idea ever or a good idea, but it'll take some work?

Hey Elric,

I think you should try to blend the two, if possible. I'm only passingly familiar with the CthulhuTech concept, but I think the game was designed to involve and use mechs. I would definitely find a way to integrate mechs into the adventure. Even if it's only a scene where the party, or some of the party, steal mechs for a certain battle, and then need to ditch them  so that they can escape.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:09:32 PM »
Dirty pool, old boy... dirty pool.  ;D

What can I say? I like to give them a challenge. It's honestly what some of my players expect and as long as the 'rules' are known ahead of time (that the GM is activally trying to kill you) than everyone does alright. That's also why this specific group means more like monthly than weekly. I can't be the bad guy all the time.

elric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:53:27 PM »
the thing about using mechs is...well, kind of a bitch to explore houses...or tunnels...or pretty much anywhere cool when your rollin in a 20+foot tall walking weapon battery...for the mech game, i was just gonna pull some BS where the PCs have to beat the esoterics to artifacts that'll lead em to ry'leh and destroy them...