Author Topic: House Rules  (Read 12123 times)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: House Rules
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
Our D&D group eliminated critical misses. A roll of 1 is an automatic miss, but that's it. No other penalty. (I hate the D20 system, where you're as likely to whiff with a 1 as to crit with a 20 no matter how skilled you are. Doing away with exaggerated critical failures mollifies me somewhat. But I still prefer the 3d6 system of GURPS and similar systems, where you can expect some consistency of results in your attempts to use a skill.)

Funny thing I've noticed is a lot of people doing critical failure in their games. The thing is the rules don't say anything about critical fumble or catastrophic failure. To paraphrase the rule "A Roll of a natrual 1 on any save or attack roll is an automatic failure."

That's it, no tripping, no stabbing someone else in the face, nothing. I am also with you on the anti critical miss team. The move attacks per round you have the more likely you are to critically fail over someone who has no training (a level 20 fighter will hit more often and harder than a level 1 commoner but he will also "critically" fail more often) just doesnt make a whole lot of sense.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
Re: House Rules
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
i'm getting flashbacks to the days when this one GM i knew (who people would PAY to be in his games -- i guess they were Maschochists) would regularly pull stuff like:

--  when sheathing your pointed stick, DEX roll or cut off your leg

--  you enter a room with a chest in the far wall.  there are flies buzzing around.  each fly does 1/8 or so of a hp per round, but there are thousands of flies...

and other crazy stuff
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become