Author Topic: The Void  (Read 4392 times)

metalwhisper

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
The Void
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:11:48 AM »
Received the print on demand copy of The Void from Wildfire yesterday. Pretty cool futuristic horror setting about the Mythos. Comparisons with Eclipse Phase are obvious, but The Void seems to deal much less with transhumanism, and more with straight forward scifi/horror a la Alien and Event Horizon(those influenced EP too of course, but amongst many other things), and directly with the Cthulhu Mythos. The art is pretty evocative too. I love the cover.
Don't know that I'll ever run it, but it I think it has some great material and ideas that I can use in my EP game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:34:49 AM by metalwhisper »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: The Void
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:15:52 PM »
I'm interested in it, but I have so many games to run right now that I don't have time to pick up yet another new game.

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »
It's kind of worth checking out? A little? The art is pretty, some of the monsters are cool. The setting is functional and the ships from the Cthonian Stars book are pretty good.

That said, the set-up is kind of dull but functional where the PCs work for Starfleet's space DG. The history is kind of uninspired/dull/stupid at once.

However their adventure design has improved tremendously from Cthonian Stars.

Thinking now, beyond the art and a few of the monsters there isn't much here you could not do with normal Cthulhu in space and an afternoon to splat it up.

metalwhisper

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
Agree that there's not much here you couldn't do with another system, especially Cthulhu and/or EP. In that sense, it does seem to be a bit of  a "sci-fi/horror heartbreaker."
That being said, I don't think it's history is necessarily that bad. Of course, when compared to something as unique as Eclipse Phase, sure. But on it's own it does its job, though it's nothing too groundbreaking. I do like the  idea of the Cthonian Star approaching. In EP, the horror has already been released. Here it seems to be approaching or awakening.
Really though, my interest in it is just inspiration. Again, I probably won't ever run it, but I like collecting games that give me ideas and settings, not really so much for rules. I already have the rule sets I like (primarily EP and BRP). Most settings can be run in whatever system you really want to, anyway.
Anyway, it does bring up something I'm a big fan of: scavenging setting material and ideas from different games and supplements, and using them in my systems of choice.
Some examples:
I like the transhuman idea of switching bodies that is so prevalent in EP. I like it alot. Some of my players, though, are not as keen on the idea at all, but like other aspects of the setting. Meshing aspects of The Void with EP, or with CoC, might be a way to make a setting everyone wants to play in.
Recently, I found a print copy of Exquisite Replicas for very cheap. Will I ever run it as written, mechanics and all? No. But it is giving me some great ideas. I could give a long list of other games and supplements that I love, and will probably never run, at least not without converting them somehow (Kuro, Unkown Armies, Night's Black Agents, Summerland, Hunter: The Vigil come to mind, there are many more). As idea material, though, priceless.
Which is why I like raiding the bargain bins at gaming stores so much:)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:39:45 PM by metalwhisper »