Author Topic: Why you should read China Meiville's "Perdido Street Station"  (Read 5894 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Meiville gets a lot of inspiration for his writing from old AD&D monster manuals. He has crafted a really interesting world that melds creepy Kafka-esque motifs with high-concept and bizarre fantasy. His role-playing days really reflect in his writing because the novel sometimes feels like a fully-fleshed out module, but it is particularly interesting when he comments on different aspects of fantasy. For example:

The heroes of the novel need some hired muscle to fight the big bad monster and they decide on hiring some adventurers. This is the conversation that takes place:

"Apparently, there's a few serious adventurers in town right now, claiming to have just liberated some major haul from the ruins in Tashek Rek Hai. Might be up for a little paid work."
 . . .
"I don't trust them, though. Thrill-seekers. They court danger. And they're quite unscrupulous graverobbers for the most part. Anything for gold and experience."

As soon as I read that, I thought of RPPR and laughed.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Zeernebooch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Why you should read China Meiville's "Perdido Street Station"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:12:24 PM »
Way to get in intrigued by yet another book!
Time to check it out and eventually add it to the never-ending-pile-of-books-I-need-to-read.
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
Way to get in intrigued by yet another book!
Time to check it out and eventually add it to the never-ending-pile-of-books-I-need-to-read.

Perdido is kind of slow, just to warn you. I thought the Scar and Iron Council were much better in terms of pace and development of characters.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:58:13 PM »
After the last Dark Tower book, I am moving on to the Scar.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.