Author Topic: Whatcha' readin' for the Halloween Fun  (Read 5482 times)

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Whatcha' readin' for the Halloween Fun
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »
'Tis the Halloween season, and that means it is time for festive readin'!

Here's what is filling my plate for the month:

Just finished this.  As scary as horror writers try to be, no one can top just how horribly fucked up real people are to each other.  And North Korea might take the cake.  This book is both horrifying and inspiring. . . mostly horrifying.

I am participating in The Big Read this year, and what a great book it is!  I don't care what people say about Poe now. . . I can read works like The Cask of Amontillado repeatedly and never get bored.  Plus The Tell Tale Heart is REALLY fucked up.  Try reading it from the beginning knowing that the narrator is completely insane the entire time. . . its awesome.

Also, try to get your local leaders to support The Big Read in your communities.  It creates great community events that help support local literacy and art groups.

Plus I got to attend a performance by a Poe impersonator last night, which resulted in a picture of me and Poe doing jazz hands.  Aww yeah.   8)

What can I say?  I got it at the local library for a quarter.  A group of werewolvles recruited by Abraham Lincoln to beat the Confederates into submission at Gettysburg go rogue and head west. . . for the sake of heading west.  Apparently their friends are out there or something. . . and only a Deputy Marshal, a ghoul hunter, a beautiful Mexican witch AND a necromancer can stop them! FUUUUUCKKKK YEAH!!!

Yeah, I can't wait to start this one. 

SO WHAT SAY YOU!?  Any ghoulish delights you would like to recommend?

edwardian_adventurer

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Edwardian Adventuerer Blog
Re: Whatcha' readin' for the Halloween Fun
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »
My goal is to get through Arthur Machen's Tales of Horror and the Supernatural Volume 1, which I picked up on a trip to California this past summer. It is good but it is a slow read, especially since I prefer to read the stories in a single sitting and I have a lot of school work (but Fall Break starts this Thursday, so I should have time).

I'm also reading through a newish translation of The Odyssey by Simon Armitage. It was commissioned by the BBC as a radio drama, and Armitage also published the script. It's an easy and fast read.

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
Speaking of The Odyssey, I was interested in reading a horror story with some ancient mythology flair.  I really enjoyed Song of Kali by Dan Simmons, and I was wondering if there is was anything similar with Greek or Norse mythology.  or ANY mythology, honestly.

Superhero horror would be cool too.  Superheroes are basically American mythology.

edwardian_adventurer

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Edwardian Adventuerer Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
The now-defunct Hellblazer comics occasionally do a mixture of horror and mythology. While Garth Ennis's run gets most of the attention (and deservedly so), the Paul Jenkins run draws more from Arthurian/Albion mythology and Mike Carey's run throws some Celtic stuff in as well.

I'll need to add Song of Kali to my reading list. I loved Simmons's Hyperion Cantos.