Author Topic: What scares YOU  (Read 42315 times)

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
What scares YOU
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:55:55 PM »
Since it is currently -18 degrees here, every time I go take the dogs outside I am reminded how much the cold sucks balls.  It also reminds me of how much I FEAR being lost and alone in the cold.

Seriously.  Imagine being in Siberia or Northern Canada or Greenland or wherever the gods send horrible people to die.  You are alone, in a vast wasteland of snow, and it is FUCKING COLD.

Your options: succumb to your fate, curl up into a ball, try to cry but you can't because your tears turn into ICE on your face, and proceed to die horribly.  Or you can try to escape, but the cold will slowly kill you anyway and you will go mad with delusion.   Survival?  lol no, you are fucked.

In short, nature is scary and evil, and cold, desolate wastes scare the everliving shit out of me. 

And spiders.  Anything that can hide in my grapes and can kill me with one bite can go fuck itself to hell in a grease fire.

On that happy note, what scares YOU?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: What scares YOU
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:23:48 AM »
Heights. I know I could never do bungee jumping or cliff dive or parachute on my own. Hell, this would be hell to walk across http://www.boredpanda.com/walk-of-faith-glass-pavement-china/

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:15:38 AM »
why does that exist.  who would build such a thing??

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
Heights. I know I could never do bungee jumping or cliff dive or parachute on my own. Hell, this would be hell to walk across http://www.boredpanda.com/walk-of-faith-glass-pavement-china/

As a fellow acrophobe and also a one-time skydiver, I can tell you that your brain turns off the idea of height if you go and try that. You look out the door of the plane and your eyes can't make sense of what's happening. Also until you complete like 150 jumps and get certified or something you're required to jump in tandem with an experienced (2000+ jumps) instructor who will gently throw you out of the plane if you hesitate.

To contribute to the main topic of the thread, any scenario in which hands or eyes are maimed or lost are the most disturbing to me. This also occurs to a lesser degree with legs. The idea of losing something I rely on so heavily in my day to day life and have taken for granted always having always persists in my mind anytime I see such a thing occur in films or television. I've become jaded to most of it over the years but eye stuff still always creeps me out the most.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
I am also in the fear of height camp although iit is not just the physical height though. I am not sure this is common, although I have had a few people confirm they have the same thoughts, is that I always think, it would be so easy to jump, then I imagine the steps and the leap.

Biest

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
Going for phobias mine would be dogs. I always flinch when I even hear barking or when I see one running at me. It is mostly irrational, even if I have been attacked by dogs three times. So there is some kind of reason to it.

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 11:52:40 PM »
I'm completely fucking terrified of slowly losing my mind. I'm not the stablest individual as is, but there's something about the idea of the gradual shift of my mind slowly breaking down, reality crumbling around me in such a way that I can comprehend something going wrong. Eventually, I would reach the point where reality and fantasy are indistinguishable. But I can't know when that would happen. There's no delineating line, no hard symbol of "NOT CRAZY." So how could I really know when it happened? It's a loss of identity.

With a swift loss of mind, a psychotic break, there's that delineating influence. "Everything made sense before my wife died." You don't get that with the gradual change. That's why I like horror games! You lose your mind fast.

I'm also scared of crowds. Crowds are loud, amorphous blobs of humanity. They have no reason, no higher intellect. And people want to be a part of them. There is no defining aspect to crowds beyond a stupid desire to mass. Crowds eat identity, allow despicable acts. And the people in them are no longer human, in that they're no longer individual.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
I'm a hypochondriac. I'm not a health nut, nor do I go running to the hospital for every little thing... but sickness and my body breaking down scare me.

I'm most scared about getting cancer. About a year ago I was getting some pretty harsh headaches. I would lay on my bed, terrified that I could have a tumor or something in my head. I couldn't sleep. I felt like my stomach was tied into knots. I felt nauseous and vomited frequently. I had no energy to go to university or even get out of the house.

I thought a lot about what it would be like to die. I realized that one of the things I am most afraid of is going to sleep and never waking up. Sleep feels like your brain shutting down, and thinking that made me terrified. If at all possible, I want to be conscious the moment I die. I want to see death approaching, not have my life stolen away without me knowing about it.

The headache didn't subside. After a few days, I went to the doctor. I got a CT scan. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary in the scan. Eventually, the doctor just advised me to take more vitamins and gave me some sleeping aids, citing a vitamin deficiency, stress, lack of sleep. Within a few days, my headaches had subsided.

So yeah, it was a false call. But that was one of the most terrifying experiences I've had. I'm not sure I can face my own mortality very easily. Sure, media has desensitized me to media violence, I read about death all the time in newspapers, and a few relatives have passed away and I have attended funerals. But it's always been something that happens to 'them'. And I'm pretty scared when I start thinking about what could happen to 'me'.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:38:28 PM by Dom »

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
I am kind of a germaphobe, mostly because of how disgusting people are.  Whenever I am in a public restroom,  I go shoulder-first out the door, Jack Bauer syle.  There is no way in hell I am touching that door after watching a conga line of people refuse to wash their hands and touch the door.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »
Heights are pretty bad for me as well. I couldn't even jump off of a house boat 15 ft into the water. I thought I could, but once I got around the railing and was trying to work up the nerve to do it I realized I couldn't handle it.

Also taking fast turns in cars/spinning out sends me into an absolute panic. This has more to do with my near death experience than something I can't explain.

Oh and the prospect of the Zombie Apocolypse scares me. As illogical as it is, I get pretty large amounts of anexiety when I think about it for a long period of time.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 12:02:02 AM »
I would say heights, but I think it is actually more a fear of falling.  As in if I feel secure, even if I am high up, I'm fine.  But if it doesn't feel secure and I'm only say, 20ft up, then I get a bit nervous....

One thing that is weird and frightening in I guess a more existential way is the notion of eternity or having an eternal existence.  Like if I try to imagine it, it is so far out of my brain's ability to comprehend it, that it's truly uncomfortable.  So things like Eclipse Phase have another layer of "otherworldliness" or terror to them in some ways in their core mechanics....

Rawtooth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »
Torture.  The concept of being helpless and being subjected to nothing but unending, unceasing pain and torment drives my nightmares.
Fractals are our friends.

CommissarKip

• Weedlord Bonerhitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
Greys. As a kid I watched X-Files and the little grey men scared me so bad I'm still afraid of them. It was even worse when some years later as a teen I saw Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County.

I know they don't exist (or do they?) but they scare the fuck out of me.

Jadzia Katarzyna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 04:13:12 PM »
Cows, no idea why but they just edge me into panic for some reason.  Childhood was difficult growing  up in the country with this fear.

Pelicans are my other big one, though my mother tells me this is because one tried to eat me when I was a toddler.

But scariest of all? Geese, homicidal maniacs the lot of them.

Thorn

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 11:40:08 PM »
I scared of not being able to protect my family. I watched my 19 month daughter get chocked while eating and it scarred me to death. I've never felt that level of fear before.