Author Topic: Food and Drink!  (Read 36408 times)

Kamen

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Food and Drink!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
I'm going to resurrect this thread and hijack it for my own purposes!
While not venturing into the unusual edibles, I have been experimenting with cooking lately and just fried up some Japanese-style croquettes! They're beef and potato with some onion and panko crumbs on the outside.

What are you using as a binder? Been thinking about some salt for croquettes for a bit now and I might just have to get off my butt and get moving on that project.

This is the recipe I used:http://justonecookbook.com/recipes/moms-korokke-croquette/
Mixing the potato and beef together and letting it cool some seems to keep everything fairly together. Then some flour, egg, and breading before dropping 'em into the oil.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 12:40:35 PM »
Thread Resurrection in 3 ... 2 ... 1

Anyone making anything 'wild and crazy' for thanksgiving? This year we are going to someones home so not doing any major cooking (making some stuffing) but in years passed my wife and I would host an orphans thanksgiving for all of our friends who could not make it home would come to our house. We always tried to have a few new dishes or odd ball sides to mix it up. One year we did an Indian thanksgiving with sides like aloo gobi and palak paneer.

Two years ago I also attended a Pies-giving where every dish was in a pie form. I fear it was the stop after our own hosted thanksgiving so was so full I could not properly do it justice but it was an epic concept that I may steal in the future.

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »
I'm doing a pre-Thanksgiving thing tonight with a bunch of friends, and I didn't have any particular recipe for stuffing to use; looking up recipes, I found one purported to be coined by Marilyn Monroe of all people, so I made that. Gonna find out how it tastes in about 2 hours! It's a really weird recipe, too, calling for organ meat and ground beef.

I'm heading to my parents' house for Thanksgiving proper, so I'm not doing a lot of cooking, but I've decided to make smash-fried potatoes. Basically, you partially boil a potato (fingerlings work best, since they cook through fast) until they're just a little soft, then half-crush it with a potato smasher: just enough so it's flat, not enough to fall apart completely. Then, throw it in a large pan with about half a cup of olive oil and fry em up until they're golden on both sides. Looks super fancy, tastes great, and you can throw pretty much any kind of garnish on it to change the taste. It's a chameleon-like recipe.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:35:56 AM by Teuthic »

Mr. Purple

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 03:00:45 PM »
I've got a turkey breast roasting in the oven as I type and cranberry relish chilling in the fridge. There's mashed potatoes, green beans, and my David-is-cheating dressing (stovetop with sausage, onion, and celery thrown in; not from scratch, but it fakes it well enough.) The menu is fairly standard except for the pomegranate martini I am nursing along, Pom-cran juice mixed with vodka, shake or strain through ice.

I figure if I am doing all the cooking I get to sip a little drinky-poo
"Don't read that book, that's where they keep the madness!"

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
I've got a turkey breast roasting in the oven as I type and cranberry relish chilling in the fridge.

I figure if I am doing all the cooking I get to sip a little drinky-poo

Never actually made cranberry relish. One of those things that I enjoy but never bothered making. Might have to give that a whirl. Any fav recipe?

Also the cooks perogative is to ease the work with a libation.

My post holiday plan is to try to make Char Sui at some point in the next to days.

Mr. Purple

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 04:31:35 PM »
My relish is easy :-)

1 bag of cranberries, 1 apple (I prefer Fuji) 1 orange, and a cup of sugar (truvia for diabetics like me)
Put all of that in your food processor and pulse until it's ground to the right consistency. It tastes better chilled, so I like to put it in the fridge overnight; you can throw it in the freezer for a bit too. :-)

Got ahead on time, so I also made two batches of David-fudge. Dark chocolate & mint with almonds, and peanut butter & chocolate with banana chips (aka Elvis)

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 04:42:23 PM »
Relish is easy and delicious.  David ' s recipe sounds yummy.

I am the resident cocktail chef for holidays.  This year's specialty: Pumpkin Spice Martinis

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »
My char siu ended up pretty decent (got a few tweaks I will make next time) but since we have the base for the filling my wife tried to make some bao. I was not around when she crimped them together but the were very tasty. Sort of a pain to make but if I make the bbq pork again I hope I can convince her to make a batch.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »
Man do those look good!

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 02:01:05 PM »
I got a frozen whole turkey on sale after Thanksgiving. I'm gonna save it until Christmas, and then spatchcock that sucker.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

+1 Hat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
I got a frozen whole turkey on sale after Thanksgiving. I'm gonna save it until Christmas, and then spatchcock that sucker.

Do it! I cooked a 14 pound turkey in less than an hour and a half that way. Ended up using Alton Brown's wet brine treatment due to time constraints, but would love to try his dry brine sometime.

Bee tee dubs, if you haven't do it before: when it comes to cutting out the spine, use heavy scissors or shears. It's some heavy work. Nothing like how that video portrays it.

Mr. Purple

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »
In honor of the greatest news anchor of them all...

https://www.facebook.com/CIAchef/posts/10152433150401406

Turducken lasagna!

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »

Do it! I cooked a 14 pound turkey in less than an hour and a half that way. Ended up using Alton Brown's wet brine treatment due to time constraints, but would love to try his dry brine sometime.

Bee tee dubs, if you haven't do it before: when it comes to cutting out the spine, use heavy scissors or shears. It's some heavy work. Nothing like how that video portrays it.

Yeah, this is gonna be a good reason to buy kitchen shears. Glad you had a positive experience with it!

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »

Yeah, this is gonna be a good reason to buy kitchen shears. Glad you had a positive experience with it!

Oddly enough poultry shears are on my x-mas list. Been making some stocks recently and hacking up chickens with a knife is something I make my wife do because I am no good at it. Hoping the shears make me a poultry dismembering god.

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
And here's how my turkey came out!

It was delicious.