Author Topic: Divine Fire?  (Read 22967 times)

Darthrex

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Divine Fire?
« on: March 03, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »
So did any of the Divine Fire scenarios ever get published? Or do they only exist as APs?
I cast summon pedant.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Divine Fire?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »
APs only.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »
Tom?  The market is demanding a book to buy.

We want to BUY TOMS BOOK!
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Darthrex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
DAMMIT!
I cast summon pedant.

Thesauradon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »
Also, was a recording of part 3 ever posted? I recall Tom mentioning it on the podcast several years ago, then Glancy running Divine Fire Syria, then radio silence.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »
You know, we could do a Divine Fire fan version. Take what's in the APs and create a workable version. Between the three versions of the game I've heard there are more than enough details to replicate the scenario. I've run one before myself to great success (it's a fun scenario for first time CoC players actually).

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
You know, we could do a Divine Fire fan version. Take what's in the APs and create a workable version. Between the three versions of the game I've heard there are more than enough details to replicate the scenario. I've run one before myself to great success (it's a fun scenario for first time CoC players actually).

100% This.

I also did this, and ran it for 2 new CoC players and 1 veteran. They all got something out of it. Pretty fun!
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »
I wrote a version of Divine Fire which took place in 2002 at Vozrozhdeniya Island.

Worked out pretty well, all in all. Player vs. player gunfight(s) nearly ensued by the end of it.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
Alright, so let's workshop this.

What are the core elements of Divine Fire?

1) Isolated facility that appears deserted
2) Foreign territory to the players (likely a foreign country as well)
3) An inability to leave said location
4) A reactor or other generator that is tapping into another dimension
5) Subtle mutagenic effects covering the area

Divine Fire itself uses a German military base while the version Glancy did used a Libyan military base.

Grunfeld, the ghoul behind the locked door, is another constant.

Any major elements I missed?

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
Alright, so let's workshop this.

What are the core elements of Divine Fire?

1) Isolated facility that appears deserted
2) Foreign territory to the players (likely a foreign country as well)
3) An inability to leave said location
4) A reactor or other generator that is tapping into another dimension
5) Subtle mutagenic effects covering the area

Divine Fire itself uses a German military base while the version Glancy did used a Libyan military base.

Grunfeld, the ghoul behind the locked door, is another constant.

Any major elements I missed?

Usually an insane character to give half believable exposition before meeting Grunfeld.

Many survival horror tropes, such the aftermath of suicides, massacres and a constant low level of "something" lurking in the shadows waiting to do them in next.

One of the things I liked most was the discovery of the medical area, where the players find out that they were sent to the facility to become the next round of test subjects. Something about the disgusting fate that they narrowly avoided giving them a reason to not despair for a moment, then shocking them back into the reality of the situation with an attack is always good.

Sure you avoided THAT fate. Now do something about this one. Also I am not afraid of giving them weapons since the baddies are tough in this scenario. Mutant horse/elk thing and the col. are the boss fights, everything else can be exposition or you can throw in some mutant types to up the ante.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:09:48 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
Conflicting player (or 'friendly' NPC) agendas.

For example, in Divine Fire: Libya two of the PCs - the nuclear technician consultant and the CIA case officer liaison - have similar secret orders and objectives which the Delta Force Army player characters are wholly ignorant about until they run away during a firefight to investigate the bottom level of the GONDOLA facility to try to accomplish their goals. One may well surmise that the CIA officer and the nuclear technician may well be affiliated with the new 'legitimate' Delta Green . . . because trying to reverse engineer the gate spell is a good idea, right? nothing could go wrong in trying to weaponize the Mythos, or conduct an improvised Operation Paperclip . . . 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:17:43 PM by PirateLawyer »

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »
One element not covered yet is how do the players get out of the scenario?

Answers range from:

1) Co-operate with Grunwald and let him deal with the Gate
2) Ignore Grunwald and co-operate with an insane survivor of the site
3) Try to destroy the Gate themselves

Etc.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
Excellent.

So, getting into the scenario...

Two options have been presented previously: ordered to investigate (both times to extract key personel, just with different motivations) or taken to the facility.

Ordered has meant soldiers which means heavy weaponry but that's not a huge issue given the toughness of the situation once the shooting starts. Also, giving everyone guns makes it more dangerous for players with competing agendas because EVERYONE is heavily armed.

Taken against one's will makes it more survivor horror is since they lack information, resources, and equipment. The second test had victims in a van but prisoners in a cell or ones who escape during the inital outbreak (civilian contractors or people being considered for arrest?) but can't escape the facility would do as well.

Darthrex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 03:10:27 PM »
Since there is no official Divine Fire scenario I was thinking of making a prequel where the players are various pawns of the Ahnenerbe SS sent to some site or another to recover the Artifact I was thinking ancient cave system in Iraq or Syria.
I cast summon pedant.

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »
My divine fire will occurs using Call of Catthulhu as the core. All the cats are strays being taken in the back of a van to get spayed or neutered at a human society. The van pulls into an isolated facility near a major airport and drivers leave the van. Eventually the cats find out everyone (cats and humans) are dead, they are pursued by mutant (undead?) German Shepard, meet a mad Siamese who keeps going off about the nature of the universe is in a ball of string, and interact with a hairless cat from behind a locked door who has their own agenda.

The only thing I am wondering is do I make it straight up Call of Catthulhu or use the Delta Calico variant.

Ok that started out as a joke but it sort of works.