Author Topic: THE QUEUE: Whacha got in YOUR gaming pipeline  (Read 71655 times)

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: THE QUEUE: Whacha got in YOUR gaming pipeline
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
This Sunday, I'm gonna take my first crack at running one of Caleb's No Security scenarios! Bryson Springs, here we come!

How are you planning on starting it? I used a variation on one presented in the AP with a government agent and prisoner and a two journalist.

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »
This Sunday, I'm gonna take my first crack at running one of Caleb's No Security scenarios! Bryson Springs, here we come!

How are you planning on starting it? I used a variation on one presented in the AP with a government agent and prisoner and a two journalist.

Tim, I'm going to send them the basic hook -- you're in a migrant worker camp in California, looking into the death of a Chinese-American man living there -- and tell them to think up characters who would have a reason to be there. I'll specifically suggest things like police detective, criminal, relative of the deceased, journalist, etc. Then we'll do character creation at the game's start (CoC 6th Edition, so very quick and easy). Then the intro will be based on the characters they make.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »

Tim, I'm going to send them the basic hook -- you're in a migrant worker camp in California, looking into the death of a Chinese-American man living there -- and tell them to think up characters who would have a reason to be there. I'll specifically suggest things like police detective, criminal, relative of the deceased, journalist, etc. Then we'll do character creation at the game's start (CoC 6th Edition, so very quick and easy). Then the intro will be based on the characters they make.

When my group ran it we had an FBI agent(myself), a prisoner, a transient worker, a deputy sheriff(had a bad end), and then a disfigured Hooverville resident. It worked out pretty well I think. Let us know how it goes!

Zombieneighbours

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2015, 05:58:28 AM »
I have a couple of things in the pipeline:

-Horror on the Oriental Express.
-a lovecraft country mini-campaign I am working on called "But stranger still.."

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »
Should be running demos of Star Wars: Age of Rebellion at FLGS soon.  I'm actually quite impressed by the rules; the dice mechanics are well-designed and not gimmicky. 

I'll also probably be running D6xD6 demos at local cons to highlight some of the setting chapters. 

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2015, 07:59:10 PM »
Bryson Springs went very well, despite (or perhaps because of?) having a 16-year-old who decided to play a "klepto ninja" and another player who was so indecisive that he literally ended up playing a hobo with amnesia.

For the amnesiac, since the character had no backstory, that meant that *I* got to make up her backstory. It turned out that she had been a bank robber hiding out in the Hooverville (explaining her Browning Automatic Rifle and improbable skill choices), and had seen her brother sucked into the air by a puppet and then dropped through the top of their shack. When the party first encountered a puppet, it all came flooding back. -20 Sanity.  ;D And then seeing the flesh puppet at the very end, she went amnesiac again and forgot everything that had happened in the adventure. She ended up wildly pointing an empty BAR at everyone and demanding answers, which no one had the heart to give her.

The klepto ninja learned that every action has consequences. She tried to steal the scroll in the final showdown, and ended up shot dead in the desert and left for the vultures. But earlier she had planted a stolen statuette on Ryan Spelling, leading him to a fit comeuppance from Mr. Bryson.

Everybody had loads of fun. Thanks for the scenario, Caleb.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Should be running demos of Star Wars: Age of Rebellion at FLGS soon.  I'm actually quite impressed by the rules; the dice mechanics are well-designed and not gimmicky. 

Totally! I really liked running the Edge of the Empire Beginner Game for my group. We played a lot of the FFG Warhammer Fantasy game and their Star Wars lines feel like a more refined version of that.

Glad to hear the Bryson Spring game went well, trinite.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2015, 11:14:38 PM »
Bryson Springs went very well, despite (or perhaps because of?) having a 16-year-old who decided to play a "klepto ninja" and another player who was so indecisive that he literally ended up playing a hobo with amnesia.

For the amnesiac, since the character had no backstory, that meant that *I* got to make up her backstory. It turned out that she had been a bank robber hiding out in the Hooverville (explaining her Browning Automatic Rifle and improbable skill choices), and had seen her brother sucked into the air by a puppet and then dropped through the top of their shack. When the party first encountered a puppet, it all came flooding back. -20 Sanity.  ;D And then seeing the flesh puppet at the very end, she went amnesiac again and forgot everything that had happened in the adventure. She ended up wildly pointing an empty BAR at everyone and demanding answers, which no one had the heart to give her.

The klepto ninja learned that every action has consequences. She tried to steal the scroll in the final showdown, and ended up shot dead in the desert and left for the vultures. But earlier she had planted a stolen statuette on Ryan Spelling, leading him to a fit comeuppance from Mr. Bryson.

I think Aaron really helped a lot with the playtesting. If the scenario can survive him, it can survive any player.

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2015, 11:20:39 AM »

I think Aaron really helped a lot with the playtesting. If the scenario can survive him, it can survive any player.

Yeah, at least nobody burned down the orange grove. :)

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
It's gonna be a very RPPR gaming weekend for me! On Saturday I'm going to run Baseraiders for my wife and brothers (The Meat Prison of Retconnator -- a robot sent from the future to change the past!).

Then on Sunday afternoon: The Wives of March.  ;)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »
Finished a 2 part !3th age game - going to run Duality, Extropia chapter next.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »
Starting to run a 1945 horror campaign inspired by the feel and motifs found in "Marble Hornets" but inserting my own Entity in place of the Operator. (Ran a 1920's campaign previously and the players asked for more cult activity in this game.) This game is a little more focused and "street-level" than the last campaign I ran.

On top of that I have been writing up content for some other campaigns for future play.

1) 1960's adventure/horror fantasy inspired by the "Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man" and "Thomas Covenant" books. where complete strangers are given a drug by an enigmatic figure and fall down the rabbit hole to an Oceanic realm of exotic islands, pirate age ships, alien magics and beasts, and crocodile/dragonmen. But are they in a shared dream or is there something more to it? (on top of going insane from loosing large amounts of sanity, the characters will also get "pulled" from this place with some other interesting consequences).

2) A modern set of scenarios where towns all over Ontario, Canada with a connection between them are the targets of supernatural entities over the course of 9 months. Prior to the summonings/attacks, a prophetic poem warning of the dooms show up... on every door in town.
Liquid Water?

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »
Reading the playtest draft of Transhumanity Fate (Eclipse Phase's official Fate conversion) has pushed it to the top of my queue.  Has anyone tried it out?

Zombieneighbours

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2015, 05:18:38 PM »
I really want to try trans-humanities fate, but I am not sure I can digest it well enough to run in its current form.

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2015, 11:15:19 AM »
Three words: Carlos Danger Killsplosion.