Author Topic: Writing a Superhero Novel  (Read 6142 times)

AdriRaven

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Writing a Superhero Novel
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:04:48 PM »
Hi there.  Longtime Lurker.

So due to listening to a lot of the Base Raiders stuff and reading a bunch of Cthulhu, and playing Injustice For All, I had a dream awhile back which culminated in a young lady stumbling over the long-dead corpse of a superhero.

The story has progressed to 7 chapters and has surpassed 50,000 words, but I am a bit at lose ends with something.  I suck at naming things.  My world has basically built itself out to a place where the Superman expy was killed by one of his colleagues, who later conquered the world.  By the time my protagonist comes into the picture, most of the heroes and villains of the past have either died, been incarcerated, or gone into hiding/retirement.

My boggle is that I want to throw in references to some of those past supers.  The supers themselves come in three levels - 'natural', which is essentially unpowered; 'metahuman', which is lesser, non-flashy super-powers, and 'super', which is the big league crazy stuff.  And in this world, as a super's power grows, there's always a chance it will corrupt them.  The powers tap into the Lovecraftian laws of the universe, opening an incautious super up to corruption and insanity... and physical mutation.

So I need help with suggestions for coming up with some older supers and teams to call back to, a bit like they did in the Incredibles.  Can be good, evil, or somewhere in the middle, and can range anywhere from the 30's right up to the 80's as far as what Era of comics to go with.

If this seems an interesting concept, I can certainly elaborate on what I have already.  And I apologize if this isn't in the right place.  It didn't seem quite RP-ish enough to justify going on the Facebook page or in one of the roleplaying sections here.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Writing a Superhero Novel
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
Use Stardust because he is straight up one of the most terrifying fictional characters I have ever read: http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Stardust

He's also public domain so everyone can use him!

AdriRaven

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a Superhero Novel
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 06:15:37 AM »
Use Stardust because he is straight up one of the most terrifying fictional characters I have ever read: http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Stardust

He's also public domain so everyone can use him!

Whoah.  I know just how to use him, too.  Thanks!  I can't believe I didn't think to use public domain supers, i was trying so hard to 'be original'.