Author Topic: Favorite NON RPG Tabletop Games  (Read 12933 times)

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Favorite NON RPG Tabletop Games
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:54:08 PM »
We all love tabletop RPGs.  Sweet!  But what other games do we like to play on top of our tables when we are not role-playing?

Star Realms - A fun, furious little deckbuilder that is easy to play and teach.

Ticket to Ride - A perfect board game. 

Betrayal at the House on the Hill - Unbalanced as FUCK, but I will be damned if it isn't ridiculously entertaining.

Eight - Minute Empire - Very fun, very fast.

Werewolf and it's variants - An entire game built on lying.  Yes plz.

Love Letter - See above, but with cards.  Sooooo good.

Telestrations - What begins as a plunger turns into a dick... If you are lucky. 

So... what do you like to play?

Kemlin Dragos

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite NON RPG Tabletop Games
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »

X-Wing Miniatures Game - This game is what I've been devoting a lot of my free time thinking about lately, it's an extremely elegant game that requires through the roof strategy. I've had a blast at every tournament I've played in.

Love Letter - As mentioned below, this game is great.

Lords of Waterdeep and its subsequent expansions -- This is the first game (besides that infernal nonsense Catan) that I've been able to get my non-gaming friends to really enjoy.

King of Tokyo - Just easy, fantastic fun.

Twilight Struggle - Perfect if you have 5 hours and a friend to play who is very close in the amount of political/historical nerd-dom they contain as you.

Battlestar Galactica and all its expansions: Great if you have a few hours to set up, another hour to explain the rules, and then three hours to play. It does betrayal very well, and if you are a fan of the show, oh man.

I've never gotten to play any of the Lovecraftian board/card games. But i would love too.

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
Forgot to mention my favorite Lovecraft game:  Elder Sign.

It is Arkham Horror lite with more emphasis on dice rolling.  Easier to set up, only an hour to play, and it is super fun and challenging.

Unspeakable Words is fun too, but you obviously need to like word games.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
Robo rally.  It's fun, funny, fast, shoot your friends, logic based madness.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Decimator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
Twilight Imperium: enormous space strategy game where various races jockey for the fallen imperial throne.  Favorite tabletop game ever.  It will consume half your day.

Takenoko: panda eats bamboo, gardener grows bamboo, emperor wants specific patterns of bamboo.  Good for less brainmelting fun than the heavy strategy games we normally play.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Smash Up and the expansions. Deck Buildng game with like 20 factions. Take 2 faction decks and mix them together and boom thats your team. Zombie Dinosaurs or as I call them Team Ross-Tom.

Fey Trickster Robots? NO PROBLEM

Cyborg Ape Russian Bear Calvary? Did Tom's head just explode?

Seriously though that game is fun and super easy to teach and play. My wife likes it and she is not traditionally a "gamer".

The Resistance because holy crap Battlestar Galatica takes WAAAAAY to long to setup teach and play.

Cards against Humanity is totes awesome.

I bought Drunk Quest solely on Calebs recommendation and we played a 3 man game and ran out of beer halfway through.

Good times though.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Daegan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29:58 AM »
Played a ton of Betrayal, so I will second that.

Arkham Horror - which I like despite it's ridiculous game length and outrageous pieces/game board.

Channel A - loads of fun.  Only issue I've ever had with it is some folks are intimidated by the whole "anime" thing for some reason.

Cards Against Humanity - Apples to Apples' mean older brother.

Sentinels of the Multiverse - my current favorite game.  Crazy superhero action!

Biest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 11:13:43 PM »
I am an at least semi competetive level Magic: the Gathering player, so that would be what I do most.
I also like Dixit, Stone Age, Dominion and Bang!

BishopSansPants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »
Pretty much everything I enjoy has already been mentioned but I'm going to mention it again!

Pandemic and Eldritch Horror (which it Arkham Horror's globetrotting brother) are both great cooperative games.

Card Against Humanity and Love Letter are both really fun card games perfect for pickup games, and Love Letter has the added bonus of being highly portable. Bananagrams is another highly portable pickup games for friends who like Scrabble.

Ticket to Ride and Power Grid are both really fun competitive games.

Dixit is great just because of the novel play and the beautiful illustration on the cards.

I'm also fond of dominoes in different forms but especially Mexican train dominoes.

Marik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
Risk 2210 - My favorite version of the classic and can be played in a couple of hours. The trun bidding dynamic opens a lot of different strategic options.

Dust Tactics -  World War Weird miniture combat game. Fast, easy to play, and fun.

Mr. Purple

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 11:17:55 PM »
I'm odd in that I love practically ever game I can get my hands on.  There's always something to enjoy whether it's a unique mechanic to the game, fantastic artwork, or fun little strategies that ONLY work on that particular game.

That having been said, current favorites include:

Cards Against Humanity
Apples To Apples
Magic: The Gathering
Warlord: Saga Of The Storm (now defunct, but good while it lasted)
Betrayal At house On The Hill
Zombies!
Clue
Settlers Of Catan (and yes, I DO have custom purple pieces)
We Didn't Playtest This At All (and all expansions thereof)
Scrabble
Arkham Horror (let's hear it for co-op board games!)
and pretty much anything that Bill, Ross, or Dan suggest; these gentlemen have yet to steer me wrong on a fun gaming experience.

I've played Twilight Imperium once, and I did have fun; I would have to play it at least one more time to add it to the above.
"Don't read that book, that's where they keep the madness!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 01:15:50 AM »
I played Spartacus: Blood on the Sand at Fear the Con last weekend and it was a fun game except for the actual gladiatorial fights. The fight mechanics are boring and took too long for the most part.

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »
Yeah, when I played Spartacus we somehow never even got to arena fights; we were having too much fun backstabbing each other and being dicks.

Speaking of which, I've been playing a LOT of my friend Les' card game, Monster Con(I've also been helping him work on his CORE RPG project).  It is a simple trick-taking game, but each player assumes the role of a monster (and one deck is Cthulhu mythos baddies).  Needless to say, it is a game that encourages player dickery and hijinks.  If I remember right, the Nyarlathotep player gets to scream wildly and take all the player's hands, reshuffle them, and deal them back out.   8)

His other card games are hit-or-miss, but Monster Con is quite good.

http://popcornpress.com/monster-con-card-game.

http://www.drivethrucards.com/product/115394/Monster-Con
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:02:28 AM by PaulyMuttonchops »

geekyogrt

• View Profile
    • Geek Yogrt
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
Clue

Definitely underrated.  We like to play without allowing the checklists / note taking.  After a few drinks, the mind game shenanigans really take off.

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
Updating this thread to say that Marvel Dicemasters is really, really good.  It's technically a "collectible" game, but the booster packs are only a buck, and the base sets offer plenty of gaming for pretty cheap (under $15 each).