Author Topic: Lover in the Ice question.  (Read 20752 times)

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Lover in the Ice question.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »

The stats for the Amante worked well Tadanori, although the one that hatched in the girls house managed to make an ass out of itself, it critically failed as it lunged at a player who was standing at the doorway of the opposite bedroom shooting at the Amante statue, since it was at the top of a spiral staircase, I decided it had tripped down the stairs, and was promptly dispatched by two impales from the 59 year old German Mathematician.

This paragraph reminded me why I love CoC so much. 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 07:18:37 PM »
The stats for the Amante worked well Tadanori, although the one that hatched in the girls house managed to make an ass out of itself, it critically failed as it lunged at a player who was standing at the doorway of the opposite bedroom shooting at the Amante statue, since it was at the top of a spiral staircase, I decided it had tripped down the stairs, and was promptly dispatched by two impales from the 59 year old German Mathematician.

That's pretty cool. Glad that the stats worked out.

FYI, the rest of the stats are coming. I've been relistening to the Red Tower and Revelations APs to get some additional scope. I'm gonna try to have them by the weekend.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »
Cham-Vi Juntan; AKA South American Ghouls, AKA Meat Ghouls

Str- 12 (For all their bulk, the Juntan have grown fat and lazy)
Con- 20 (Immune to disease and the foul conditions they dwell in, meat ghouls are far tougher than humans)
Siz- 26 (Massive in width and height, a Juntan nearly fills the tunnels that they call home. They are double the size of a man and many, many times heavier)
Int- 5
Pow- 10 (Magically capable but not especially powerful; Juntan generally do not know spells. A few know "Call Cham-Vi Juntan" and can teach it to humans.)
Dex- 7 (Horribly oversized, the Juntan are not graceful creatures)

Move- 6 walking

HP- 23
Armor- No armor but impaling weapons, including firearms, to half damage. Specifically declared slashing attacks deal full damage. Blunt assault does only 1 per die.

Damage Bonus: +1d4
Weapon: Bite 60% 1d4+special
Claws 40% 1d6+db special
Grapple 45% special
Smother 30% special
Bone knife 60% 1d4+db special

Sanity:
1/1d6 to see a South American Ghoul
1/1d6 to witness one using it's 'meat rending jaws' attack (including being the target)
1/1d3 if the victim of a 'smother' attack
1d3/1d6 if infected by a ghoul's attack because it's possible that they might reproduct via injection

Special Attacks:
Meat rending jaws-
As creatures which feed entirely on meat and bone the jaws of a Juntan are specially adapted to crushing and severing. Any successful bite attack disables one of the victim's limbs (Luck Roll, success player can select the limb; on a failure the GM does) rendering it useless. On an impale the limb is severed completely and swallowed. The bite can only be used on a grappled enemy due to the creatures' great girth.

Smother-
If a Juntan falls while in melee with a player it has a chance to fall upon them and crush them under layers of fat. This attack is automatically rolled if a Juntan is killed. If a ghoul grapples an investigator first than it can invoke Smother in the following round without a roll. Anyone victim to a smother attack instantly begins to suffer from lack of air and crushing weight. Given the condition of the tunnels in which the Juntan dwell this normally also causes victims to begin drowning. Victims are immobilized entirely until they can make a resistance test of their Strength against the Juntan's Size. If others help the victim add together all their Strengths and then make the resistance roll. While being smothered the investigator cannot be attacked by any other attacks.

Infection-
Anyone struck by a claw, knife, or bite must make a Con x 4 roll upon escaping the area. Success means the investigator is alright. Failure means their wound has been infected and they will become ill within 1d3 days unless medically treated. A botch (96 or higher) means they are afflicted with a fast acting disease and will become noticeably ill within 1d3 hours.

Special Qualities-

Immortal?
No one is sure where the Juntan come from. They might be immortal. Or they might simply be impossible to tell apart to humans. If the investigators kill one and return later the body will not be were they left it. However many the players kill in conventional combat more will come out of the darkness eventually. Even if the corpse is mutilated or burned, the remains will somehow have vanished as soon as the investigators left the area.

Regeneration
Consuming rotting meat and bone allows the Juntan to heal. For each hour spent feasting they can heal 1d6 hit points. This ensures that if the investigators leave wounded Juntan behind they will return at full strength shortly.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:22:46 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
Scroll down for stats and unique qualities

The Companions

Universal Qualities:

Special Attacks

Ageless grace
A Companion’s rating in any given skill is 80%. Cut this in half (40%) if the skill has only been around for 100 years or so. Individual Companions (especially Maimed) may have higher than 40% rating in new skills at GM discretion due to taking the time to learn them more thoroughly.
Either Companion is capable of executing maneuvers requiring years upon years of training such as striking pressure points, acrobatic stunts, or complex combat maneuvers. Assume that each individual possesses ‘martial arts’ for every weapon they can use at a rating equal to their weapon’s skill. This effectively means they always deal double damage (see Slip in memory below for exceptions).

Special Qualities

Perfect ability
The Companions have literally perfected a few common things, such as patty cake, specific songs, and table setting. These things are giveaways as no Companion can fail to do them perfectly. Before play, pick out three or four things likely to come up in your scenario that are not directly aggressive and make these prefect abilities. These should be clues to the players so make sure to pick things they might notice. An Idea Roll can determine a connection between two individuals an investigator has seen perform a perfect ability, such as the placement of silver ware in two different houses (it will be identical).

Slip into memory
It is easy for a Companion to slip into their memories and disregard the present. Anytime one of the Companions is dramatically confronted by a PC, including a combat breaking out, have the PC make a Luck Roll. On a success one or more of the Companions present find the situation similar to one they’ve dealt with before and begin making half-awake speculative statements regarding the situation. Their skills are reduced by half (generally to 40%) in this state and they do not gain the benefits of Ageless Grace (see above). A Companion in this condition continues to talk until they finish their memory, normally 1d6+1 rounds but longer at GM discretion.

Players who know the Companion’s history (perhaps from a Monolog) can attempt to bring on a Slip into memory with an Idea or Fast Talk roll.

Monologue
The Companions rarely get to talk freely with people and the chance to do so is extremely difficult for them to resist. If the investigators have discovered the Companion's secret, no one else is present, and no aggressive action has yet been taken by the players than have the PCs make a party Luck Roll. On a success the Companions begin a monologue about whatever subject is at hand, generally their plan and the details of their background. This is delivered in a somewhat disjointed, wandering fashion. Monologues generally end with "...and now you die." or something similar and combat begins. Any Companions present are caught by "surprise" if attacked before the monologue is finished.

Ageless nihilism
A Companion does not really care about death. It has lost virtually all meaning to them. They do not defend against attacks directed at them unless they have a role to play in their collective lie. Most Maimed have no such role and will make no effort to avoid attacks. Likewise they will not roll to avoid environmental damage. Many will not dive out of the way of a car, stop and roll to put themselves out if on fire, or grasp for purchase if thrown from a rooftop.

Companions never consider friendly fire a problem. If a Companion is in the way of a target during combat than other Companions will shoot, throw, or stab directly through the one in their way without any concern.

In the event that a fatal barrier stands between a targeted character and a Companion (in combat or a chase for example) then the Companion will still attempt to cross said barrier. This might be a wall of fire, swinging blades, or even an explosive on a trip wire. If the Companion crossing the barrier might hurt the player, allow the player a Luck Roll to avoid or reduce the damage (if reasonably possible).

Husband; Adult
Str- 14
Con- 14
Siz- 10 (In their own time, the Companions were among the largest of their people but in the modern era they are at best average height.)
Int- 16
Pow- 15
Dex- 14
Move- 8 walking

HP- 12

Wife; Adult
Str- 14
Con- 13
Siz- 9 (In their own time, the Companions were among the largest of their people but in the modern era they are at best average height.)
Int- 16
Pow- 15
Dex- 16
Move- 8 walking

HP- 11

Both:
Attacks:
Fist 80%, 2d3+db
Kick 80%, 2d3+db
Grapple 80%, special
Any melee weapon 80%, see weapon for damage
Any firearm 40% (unless one of the Maimed specialized in firearms in which case GM can set the skill percentage)

Unique Special Qualities
Maimed
Virtually all living adult Companions have some physical scarring or mutilation to distinguish themselves from other instances. The nature of this maiming alters their skills. Any time that their injury would impact a skill, that skill is 50% instead of the usual 80%. Examples would include a missing eye limiting Spot Hidden, a missing leg limiting Climb or Jump, and a hair limp might limit Fast Talk or Persuade. However badly they are scarred their skill is never reduced below 50% unless new injuries are inflicted during game. The Companions have experienced each and every deformity many times in previous memories and are adept at working around them.

Sanity:
0/1; Seeing one of the ‘perfect’ abilities in use.
0/1; having a maimed Companion surprise a player, such as appearing out of the dark or being in a room that was supposed to be empty.
0/1d3; seeing the Companions fight.
1/1d3; Having a Companion Slip into memory or Monolog.
1/1d4; Witnessing an effect of Ageless nihilism.

Husband; Child
Str- 9
Con- 13
Siz- 7
Int- 16
Pow- 15
Dex- 12
Move- 4 walking

HP- 10

Wife; Child
Str- 7
Con- 12
Siz- 6
Int- 16
Pow- 15
Dex- 14
Move- 4 walking

HP- 9

Both:
Damage Bonus: -1d4
Attacks:
Fist 80%, 2d2+db
Kick 80%, 2d2+db
Grapple 80%, special
Any weapon reasonably useable by a being of its size, 50%

In their child stages the Companions avoid combat and social situations. It’s easier for one of the children to give something away by mistake. They generally do not play with other children or play at all if not be observed. If the investigators are poking at the edges of the Companion’s secrets they will likely find they are being followed by children as well as adults.

Sanity:
0/1; Seeing one of the ‘perfect’ abilities in use.
0/1; Seeing two or more same gender, same age Companions side by side and recognizing they are, in reality, identical.
1/1d3; Having a Companion Slip into memory or Monolog.
1/1d3; Fighting one of the child age Companions.
1/1d4; Killing one of the child age Companions.

Babies
Str- n/a
Con- 10
Siz- 3
Int- 16
Pow- 15
Dex- 3
Move- 1, crawl

HP- 6

Damage Bonus: n/a

Weapon: n/a
In their infant forms both Companions share the same stats. Notably they possess most or all their intellectual facilities within moments of birth but lack the physical capability to make use of their knowledge for several years.
While the infants are ineffective during combat they will still try to be useful, calling alarms to other Companions. They also make for frightful flavor visuals such as a baby crawling towards a knife or grasping onto someone’s arm or leg to try and slow them down.

Sanity:
0/1; Seeing one of the babies during it’s ‘exercises’ of trying to speak and vocalize.
0/1; Seeing one of the babies left entirely unattended by adults.
0/1; Meeting the eyes of one of the babies and seeing the intensity of the gaze. Increase to 1/1d3 if it is a group of babies.
1/1d3; Killing an infant Companion does not restore SAN due to them still appearing to be infants.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:36:39 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »
Fantastic, Thanks, Tadanori. I'm hoping to run Bryson Springs sometime in a few months with CoC, and I think I'll make use of this. BTW, which AP of Red Tower did you listen to? I'm about to check out this one: http://ragnerdrok.com/2013/10/09/ap-call-of-cthulhu-the-red-tower-pt-i/
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »
Caleb's playtest version, using CoC. I'm not sure if it's been released on the main AP site. I'm pretty sure I got it in one of the AP bundles as Kickstarter rewards.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 11:35:37 PM »
Hey guys, I actually have a question about the Seeders in Lover in the Ice. Its mainly has to do with the horrifying little buggers "mouth," I know the write up it says that the four hypodermic needle protrusions surround a black gill that allows for air and food to pass to the host, but I also remember Caleb mentioning a dark, glassy surface(eye?) being dead center in the guys' play through. So, is there an eye? Did it get removed or changed? Or am I just missing something? Thanks!

Oh, and if you're curious why this is important, I'm afraid that's currently classified. ;)

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 12:17:50 AM »
I think I changed that between the initial playtest and the write up. Gill is how I imagine it.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 07:45:56 AM »
Cool, I figured there must have been a few tweaks here and there. Thanks Caleb!

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Question for Cthuluzord.
Do you still have the briefing from when you ran The Lover in the Ice as a delta green operation in the playtest?
Can we have that text?  Please?

It looks like I'll be running this in a couple of weeks.  And I want to do it as a Delta Green team.
I'll be doing it in GURPS with CoC sanity rules bolted on.  I'll let you all know how it goes.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »
I actually have a copy of the mission brief from when my GM ran it for us, so as long as Caleb says it's ok, I can copy/scan that for you.

Though to think of it, if Caleb still has his rules on recreational drug use I would love to get my hands on those. Could make for some interesting games! Thanks!