Author Topic: FATE: Let's like talk about it.  (Read 43331 times)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
FATE: Let's like talk about it.
« on: May 16, 2014, 03:47:15 PM »
So yeah...

Of those of you that have run FATE, what are your impressions? Any challenges you've found in the rules?

Literally I'd just like to hear any and every thought people have on it, specifics are good.

I'm going to run a campaign in it, however I want to immerse myself more fully in the system first.

Don't worry I also have the Base Raiders episodes on my list of things to listen to.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: FATE: Let's like talk about it.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »
It takes some work to build up players to the point that the system really shines. It works for more traditional gameplay (kill things and take their stuff), sort of, but it really is a unique combination of rules, narrative, and points.

For example, getting taken out of a scene (lossing all stress) can happen really easily and this is actually intentional. Players need to learn to concede if they think they might lose but "concede" sounds way too much like "given up" for the players that I game with and they aren't keen on it.

Finding the line on declarations takes some work and is closely tied to the setting. Tied with that are good compels and proper assessments for aspects.

When everyone knows how Fate works the whole thing can be glorious. In my experience 70% or more of players don't actually ready the rules, even if you give them the book, and don't remember them if you explain them at the beginning.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 04:34:19 PM »
That is one of my biggest fears.

I explained the fact that you as a player have mechanics to give your character an edge in situations, and that being aware and taking advantage of those situations was the most important mechanic to learn.

I'm a little nervous about running it but I honestly think it seems crazy fun.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »
I can honestly say that some of the best games that I have run have been Fate. The more people are involved the better it will become and the more unique. The generic mechanics are designed to allow specific narratives for each group and if the players actually help by doing that then it will be fun.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
Well if you don't mind me getting a bit more specific with my questions....

How powerful do aspects end up on the average?

Also I'm finding it difficult to differentiate stunts from aspects.

On top of that... do Aspects usually cost fate points to use or is it usually free and the more powerful ones cost?

I feel like I've gotten some conflicting rulings from the SRD

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »
Aspects are the great leveler of the field. They let characters choose who they want to be.

Fate Points are the currency of Fate, they are the center point. A Fate point alone is worth a +1. But invoking an Aspect, which costs a Fate point, is worth +2. So, right away, Aspects double your exchange rate. +2 alone is big enough to be significant in most Fate games but if you have more than one Aspect that can apply to a situation (for example "Strongest Man in the Neighborhood" and "Gotta keep face" would both apply to lifting something heavy while in public) then they can all be tagged for 1 Fate point each. Sometimes a player can get +4 or +6. That's a big committment in Fate points but it lets players turn the tide in their favor.

Additionally, Aspects can be tagged (using a Fate point) to gain narrative effects. Using the above example, "Strongest Man in the Neighborhood" could be tagged to establish that the character in question has a bar bell set, or a lifting belt, or something a little stronger like body oil. This makes aspects extremely useful at giving characters things they should have according to their backstory.

Stunts are specific abilities. In most Fate games they change the way at a skill works or give a skill a bonus in narrow circumstances. Stunts cannot be tagged or invoked and they cannot be compelled. They just exist to provide their bonus, whatever it might be. Stunts might have a cost in Fate points depending on the Fate setting you are using.

Depending on the game system you select invoking an personal Aspect will  always cost a Fate point. However temporary Aspects (such as Consequences) that pop up during a scene can generally be tagged once for free. Aspects universally cost the same (1 Fate point) when invoked (note the difference between "invoking" and "tagging").

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:51:29 PM »
All right so lets say

An Assassin sneaks into a bar with a concealed handgun.

The Player Characters notice the weapon.

So the Handgun Equipment aspect is now on the table.

Could a player then compel that aspect to become a complication for that character?

Such as compelling the handgun to become important during the scene by having a bouncer notice or something similar?

Such a thing would cost a fate point, but is that the basic idea behind compelling?

Although Equipment aspects are usually temporary and therefore not necessarily as broad as a character aspect I assume it works somewhat similarly.

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
I've been running a fairly consistent Base Raiders game for a while now and I think my favorite part of GMing is the compel. It's a good way to control the flow of narrative while stressing out your players. One issue I've found, which is probably unique to Strange FATE, is how much the flow of the game shifts when your characters have higher tiered powers. It can make it very hard to take a character out, which, as Tad points out, is important for characters to learn to concede.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »
All right so lets say
An Assassin sneaks into a bar with a concealed handgun.
The Player Characters notice the weapon.
So the Handgun Equipment aspect is now on the table.
Could a player then compel that aspect to become a complication for that character?

"Handgun Equipment" isn't an aspect as far as I know. Maybe in some rules for Fate Core. Not familiar with the idea of Equipment Aspects.

If the players notice that someone has a gun that's information that they have. An Aspect might be on the individual with the gun like "Professional Assassin" but someone needs to make an Assessment using a skill in order for them to discover that Aspect. The scene itself might have an Aspect like "Filled with Cigarette Smoke" which the assassin might tag to get a bonus on future steal rolls or the players might tag to try and evade the assassin.

Such as compelling the handgun to become important during the scene by having a bouncer notice or something similar?
Such a thing would cost a fate point, but is that the basic idea behind compelling?

The storyteller generally compels and they don't compel NPCs (normally). The GM could compel one of the PCs if they had an Aspect like "Hunted by an Assassin" to explain why the assassin is in the bar to begin with.

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
Fate Accelerated might be my favorite system at the moment.  I like Fate Core, but I like the way FAE plays with Approaches over the traditional "skill" mechanics Fate Core uses.

I am not a big fan of Strange Fate.  I LOVE Base Raiders as a setting, but I find the power tiers of Strange Fate a bit unwieldy and tricky to balance as a GM.  My group converted their characters to Fate Core and changed their powers to Stunts, and the game was much better overall.

Fate might take a few sessions to "get," but a good game of Fate is a thing of beauty. 

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 03:21:50 AM »
So from what I'm reading Compelling an Aspect is usually GM facing but PC's can compel other PC's Aspects.

Maybe I just imagined the part about PC's compelling enemy Aspects.

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
GMs compel PCs to put them at a disadvantage and create tension.  This reinforces the economy in the game, where the player has to decide if he/she wants to put the character in potential danger and gain a Fate point OR to act against character and spend a fate point.  Oftentimes PCs will compel themselves to gain Fate points (and it is often just good role-playing).  I do not allow other players to compel each other (I cannot remember if the rules say anything about this or not).

My advice for reading Fate is to AVOID the SRD.  I would try out Fate Core or Fate Accelerated (or both!) at DriveThruRPG.  You do not have to pay at first, and the writing is excellent and helps clarify questions about the system.  If the actual books help you understand the system better (and I think they will), then I would re-purchase them on DTRPG and give Evil Hat some money. 

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
I ran the Dresden files a few times.
Here are my bullet points about it.

- Characters built on 10 refresh are POWERFUL
- Players who are used to simulationist systems, like say GURPS, will struggle to wrap their head around the system.
- Some players will feel that the FATE chip economy is like begging the GM for power/fule.
- When it works, it really works.
- The Dresden city creation system and the group creation system rock!
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »
The Dresden Files uses a system created prior to Fate Core so it's a little different but the basic ideas as the same. It's one of those games were the players really need to have read the setting material, meaning the books, given have different magic works than in some other settings.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 03:32:29 PM »
The Dresden Files uses a system created prior to Fate Core so it's a little different but the basic ideas as the same. It's one of those games were the players really need to have read the setting material, meaning the books, given have different magic works than in some other settings.

It's DnD 3.5 vs Pathfinder.

Fate Core is a more refined version of Dresden
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)