Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 332602 times)

Thorn

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
What are you reading?
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
Laird Barron's The Croning.  Excellent stuff.

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »
On Ross's recommendation from awhile back  I am reading Grimoires by Owen Davis and Tour De Lovecraft by Ken Hite.

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »
I think Ken Hite wrote that book while he was also working on Trail of Cthulhu.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:50:30 AM »
I have just started (in the intro actually) but yes it started as him reading all of HPLs fiction as he wrote Trail and then writing blog posts about each story. He cleaned them up and consolidated them into a book.

I almost never seem to only read one book. Always have 2-4 inflight so I bounce around as the mood strikes me

Teuthic

• of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:16:35 AM »
I'm currently bouncing between The Divinity Student by Michael Cisco, re-reading Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities (really interesting mind-bending stuff), and Authority by Jeff VanderMeer.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »
I'm currently bouncing between The Divinity Student by Michael Cisco, re-reading Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities (really interesting mind-bending stuff), and Authority by Jeff VanderMeer.

Enjoy Calvino although I have not read nearly enough of him. If on a Winter Night a Traveller was one of the books my wife gave me as part of a book exchange we did early on in our dating to feel the other out. It is pretty geeky (and admittedly sort of pretentious) but a good way to get to know someone.

The Divinity Student is on my amazon wish list which has become my on deck circle for my next book(s). I attended a panel with Michael Cisco at the HP Lovecraft filmfest in Portland and was very impressed with his level of insight into HPL and weird fiction in general. Very sharp guy and am looking forward to his fiction.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:10:36 PM »
Interesting that this just popped on my RSS reader. I have has a few project books in my time although I did not call them that. I do go through dry spells on occasion that can last months were I read almost nothing of consequence. May need a project book on the back burner to help me pull out of those dry spells.

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2014/06/15/in-order-to-read-start-reading/

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
Working my way through the Death Gate cycle by Weis and Hickman.  The books are actually good reads; light, but with solid characters (female ones no less) and some interesting morality.

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
I just re-read "The Name of the Wind" and it's sequel "Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. Both are good reads with lots of details on the magic of the world.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »
I've actually been on a reading tear lately. In the last month I've read:

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Boiled-Wonderland-End-World-International/dp/0679743464

I'm a huge Haruki Murakami fan, I have almost all his books on my book shelf and some of those books I've read more than twice.

As to what I've been reading recently:

Tokyo Vice - An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan by Jake Adelstein: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RYXA0Y/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
 I bought it during the Tribes of Tokyo APs but just only read it about two months ago. Great book and it reads like a thriller.

Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq by Steve Fainaru: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5JV98/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
Great book about a side of wars that is normally glossed over or ignored. Could make for some great RPG material in some senses.

Tai-Pan by James Clavell: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L4Z6YE/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
By the same author that wrote Shogun, Tai-Pan is an amazing historical novel about the Opium Wars, the British colonization of Hong-Kong and the merchant houses that dominated all Oriental matters.

The Lies of Locke Lamorra by Scott Lynch: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JMKNJ2/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
The requisite fantasy book, it's set in fantasy-Venice and is mostly about the street-urchin-turned-con-man Locke Lamorra that gets dragged into a larger conflict. It's some pretty great low-fantasy and if you're a fan of the Thief series of videogames then you will love this book.

edwardian_adventurer

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Edwardian Adventuerer Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
I started reading Fool Moon, the second book of the Dresden Files. I enjoy the banter between characters and the book is generally a lot of fun, but man does Jim Butcher love his commas.

Lordsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
Currently- Keeping the World Strange: A Planetary Guide.

Next- A Season in Carcosa.
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 01:07:55 AM »
Currently- Keeping the World Strange: A Planetary Guide.

Next- A Season in Carcosa.

:o

Lordsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:11 AM »
Which one is shocking, Ross?  ;D I know you guys worked on KtWS: APG, and Planetary was a completely amazing series, one that graces the top shelf of my bookshelf, along with Sandman and Transmetropolitan. And all the Delta Green books.  8)

A Season in Carcosa- I'm working my way through True Detective, and a Real Estate agent recently sold me a small cabin on Lake Hali. Also, I wear no mask. No mask? No Mask!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:25:18 AM by Lordsloth »
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.