Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 332621 times)

Zombieneighbours

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
I just recently finished Hannu Rajaniemi's Jean le Flambeur trilogy, which is seriously good reading.

I am listening to Snow Crash by Neal Stephenso, and reading "The Rapture of the Nerds" by Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross. Whole bunch of Hastur mythos related reading is up next.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Hey everybody, first post here on the forums.

I've been getting back into reading sci-fi after my reading lull of the last two years. Recently finished Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination and have started reading The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson(thanks to Tom for the recommendation). I also have Gateway by Frederik Pohl lined up to read afterwards.

uh I recommended The Night Land and I read this version which is easier for modern readers http://www.amazon.com/The-Night-Land-Story-Retold-ebook/dp/B004GKNM3W

Also, I recently finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson and Merricat makes Bartleby look like a bastion of sanity by comparison.

I've started reading Fordlandia, which is fairly engrossing. Henry Ford was ten kinds of crazy.

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »
I'm back into Thomas Ligotti, as often happens to me during these dreary months. Grimscribe: His Lives and Works has stories in it that I don't remember ever having read before.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Eagle_Eye

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Just another wandering soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »
I've been reading the Dresden books lately, I'm on book two right now, Fool Moon.
And like that the whispers grow silent once again.

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
Reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.  Haven't been this engrossed in a long time; King rulez.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »
So between bouts of Dracula I've also picked up the first two trades of Hellblazer, and the first trade of All-New Ghost Rider and Ms. Marvel. So far all have been pretty entertaining!

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
I am reading The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All by Laird Barron. Am enjoying it but it pretty much plays to my wheelhouse of enjoyment hitting ghost stories, weird fiction, and hard boiled/noir elements. Your own mileage may vary.

Included in the story "Hand of Glory" is a Mitchum Cleary sighting. Sure he goes by another name but it seems like it is him.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:29:27 PM by Tim »

FHRegulus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2014, 04:10:57 PM »
Currently I'm reading Dune for the first time and it is certainly a book... Also I've been digging into Mouse Guard. I'm super late on both of these but I'm really enjoying Mouse Guard.

Henry Hankovitch

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2014, 01:15:59 AM »
Whatever you do, don't read any more books in the Dune series.  The first one is a great classic.  Everything afterward is just a gradually increasing series of letdowns.

Lordsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
Just finished DG: Tales from failed anatomies; currently re-reading Hobgoblin by John Coyne. There's a lot more sexual situations than I somehow don't remember reading when I first read this book(back in 1982 or '83!).

The book that got me into Roleplaying Games- after reading this book, I attempted to create my own RPG based on the titular game within the novel. My best friend was like "Hey, that's cool, we should take some ideas from this AD&D book my sister bought me."

And here I am, still playing RPGs.

Edit: And now that I've finished Hobgoblin(again), I can't recommend it as a good read. :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:44:30 PM by Lordsloth »
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »
About 20% of the way through The Divinity Student by Michael Cisco. So far it is very good and the kind of book I really need to read more of. I saw Mr Cisco on a panel at the HP Lovecraft Film Festival here in Portland and as really impressed by the scholarship he had given to HPL and weird fiction in general. I have a few other authors to dig more into before I circle back around but am planning on reading more from Mr Cisco.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
Well, it's been a while since I've posted to this thread.  But since I keep my goodreads page up to date (link in my sig) there's no need to do an infodump on everything I've read in the past few months.

Before getting to the second volume of Tim Cook's history of the Canadian Corps in WWI, I thought I'd skip back a bit and read Margaret MacMillan's The War That Ended Peace: The Road To 1914, now that I have it in paperback.  The first sentence of the introduction is darkly amusing, and should have some significance to listeners of the RPPR AP podcast: "Louvain was a dull place, said a guidebook in 1910, but when the time came it made a spectacular fire".
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
I just finished The Disaster Artist, a book about the making of The Room. It's by Greg Seestro, who plays Mark in the movie and knows Tommy Wiseau in real life. It was both hilarious and creepy as fuck!

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2015, 07:54:02 PM »
I've been reading some Richard Laymon recently; for whatever reason I never heard of him until Amazon had a deal on some of his books.  Very fun, very subversive horror.

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2015, 10:34:07 PM »
I just finished The Disaster Artist, a book about the making of The Room. It's by Greg Seestro, who plays Mark in the movie and knows Tommy Wiseau in real life. It was both hilarious and creepy as fuck!

Ross lent me his copy on Friday and I finished it this afternoon. I'll admit I ended up feeling somewhat sorry for Wiseau, it seems like he has some pretty deep-seeded issues and had trouble dealing with them. However I still can't imagine going through the train-wreck of that production. Fun fact, he though the pug in the flower shop scene was a stuffed animal and did not notice it until his 3rd take.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"