Author Topic: I need a CoC game for my camping trip.  (Read 5814 times)

ToddGilbert

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
I need a CoC game for my camping trip.
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
I am taking my girlfriend and college friends camping and I need a one shot to play in the woods. I was hoping to discover a copy of divine fire had been released, but I'm up for anything. We have played the haunting and dead man stomp, but I need something creepy for our night in the woods.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: I need a CoC game for my camping trip.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »
How about one of Caleb's No Security scenarios?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
A night on Owlshead mountain from Delta Green: Eyes Only

Music of the Spheres from The Stars Are Right

A Horrible Lonely House in the Woods in Worlds of Cthulhu #4

Dennis Detwiller has a bunch of free adventures here: http://detwillerdesign.squarespace.com/free/

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
For just one night in the woods, I'd recommend something with that rural flavor, and also something that is extremely unlikely to go more than one session. My suggestion: The Edge of Darkness, from the 6th Edition core book.

I would recommend a few alterations:

1. Replace the remote farmhouse with a remote cabin in a wooded area, or an area similar to where you're camping -- ya know, for a little of that ol' "Not far from where we are now..." campfire story vibe. The attic becomes a loft above the main cabin room, with only a few flimsy boards between it and the PCs.

2. Add a little Shub Niggurath flavor to things, maybe in the wording of the chant or in the description of the monster. "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!" Also, maybe add some strange moving "trees" out in the woods -- the Dark Young. The PCs never really see them or interact with them, but they're out there somewhere, drawn by the feasting of their brother in the attic. Nobody better try and run away after they start the ceremony...

3. Emphasize smells and sounds in your descriptions. When you're camping, you're surrounded by unfamiliar sensations, which can make it easier for players to imagine creepy sounds and odors as you describe them. Maybe the Lurker exudes a strange smell like burning honey, or maybe all the insects in the forest grow louder when it passes -- though all the frogs go silent.

4. This is just general advice about running Edge of Darkness: give the PCs some method of finding out about the missing woman, so that they connect the dots when she attacks them. Also, consider removing the restriction on the zombies entering the house if you want them to be a real danger. My PCs worked out that they couldn't come inside, and casually sniped at them through the windows. Also: work out a good Red Jake voice. :)
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
Another vote for Night on Owlshead Mountain.

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
In Media Res is quite good and really stripped down. You can play it with minimal dice or no dice at all really.

http://moderncthulhu.wikifoundry.com/page/In+Media+Res