Author Topic: B-Sides 2!  (Read 37735 times)

crawlkill

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • helo
    • View Profile
B-Sides 2!
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »
Because I wanna rave about em!

I like B-Sides 1, but I could see why the games in there were in there, rather than on the main podcast. So far, though, the B-Sides 2s I've listened to have been totally worthy of the main show, and I imagine they're only in there because a lot are noisy con games and playtests of adventures we've already heard with other people. They are still totally fucking excellent.

The first two I listened to were No Soul Left Behind playtests from Gencon and Fear the Con, which replicate the second adventure in NS. Both go craaazy differently, and I think both have been mentioned on the talk podcast--Fear the Con's involves self-kidnapping and the body control of Non-ye West, and Gencon's was the gold-to-sponges story and involves a life-expanding crossover with Tribes of Tokyo.

Then I went over to Fall Without End. I think the original never did get posted to the main podcast? It was already great, a sort of harrowing mountain adventure with monsters. You can really see the refinement in this B-Sides version--there's more background in the beginning, Caleb's more willing to show off the DyE Fantasy-style final revelation, and it's the perfect game to run in Trail of Cthulhu 'cause it's all about -getting tired.- Ultimately the structure didn't change much from the original, but if you missed the original or are interested in the iterative side of game design, it's super cool.

And just now I've started a game of Cthulhu Dark that it sounds liiike was run after that one game Drew ran? It features both Caleb and Thad, which should be enough to make anyone buy anything instantly.

Just in case there were any fence-sitters out there, and in case the people involved wanted to hear the typical glowing feedback =D YOU SHOULD GET IT IMMEDIATELY. Just don't eat for a few days, c'mon, you'll be fine. Will pry post more here as I get through more, I'm super excited for all the ones I recognize. There are still TWO Bryson Springs conplays in my future, and there's an adventure that RPPR's PCs, bless them, could not have fucked up more. I bet all three will be way different from one another, so excite.

BUY THIS DOWNLOAD: https://gumroad.com/l/NkgSI
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:31:14 AM by clockworkjoe »

crawlkill

• helo
    • View Profile
Re: B-Sides 2!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:21 AM »
I do notice some of the files seem badly damaged, though--Fall Without End actually crashed iTunes, although VLC could handle it with various shrieks and beeps, and the Cthulhu Dark game cuts out about 40 seconds in. VLC jumps it ahead and its tracking goes crazy, but played in the web player on gumroad it just blows up.

Edit: Holy shit, Cthulhu Dark: Miskatonic University is severely damaged but in a way that almost sounds intentional, the recording is cutting out into bleeps and when it comes back there are giant flaming skulls and and I don't even know how much is missing
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:37:51 AM by crawlkill »

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »
I'd buy this without a second thought... if it weren't holiday season. After buying Christmas presents for other people and now with the Steam sale coming up, I really don't have much extra spending money. I will probably get it in a month or two.

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »
I got to play in the Fall Without End and Bryson Springs games at Fear the Con (and the Taskforce Darknet game, too), and they were phenomenal. Trail of Cthulhu works wonderfully for both adventures. And while [SPOILERs] I barely survived Bryson Springs (Caleb might have been a little too merciful to my version of Mitchum Cleary!) Guiseppi Ducotti wasn't quite so fortunate up on McKinley.

I'm looking forward to listening to the versions of these scenarios that I didn't play, to see all the differences.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
I do notice some of the files seem badly damaged, though--Fall Without End actually crashed iTunes, although VLC could handle it with various shrieks and beeps, and the Cthulhu Dark game cuts out about 40 seconds in. VLC jumps it ahead and its tracking goes crazy, but played in the web player on gumroad it just blows up.

Edit: Holy shit, Cthulhu Dark: Miskatonic University is severely damaged but in a way that almost sounds intentional, the recording is cutting out into bleeps and when it comes back there are giant flaming skulls and and I don't even know how much is missing

son of a bitch - I've had problems encoding these episodes and I thought I fixed them all. I'll look at Cthulhu Dark again and try to fix it. The core problem is my macbook died and I have to extract the raw audio files from a mac-formatted hard drive to a windows 7 machine. I'm using a program called HFS explorer to do it, but apparently it causes glitches. I'll try to fix it and reupload it.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »

son of a bitch - I've had problems encoding these episodes and I thought I fixed them all. I'll look at Cthulhu Dark again and try to fix it. The core problem is my macbook died and I have to extract the raw audio files from a mac-formatted hard drive to a windows 7 machine. I'm using a program called HFS explorer to do it, but apparently it causes glitches. I'll try to fix it and reupload it.

I noticed a similar issue with the GenCon 2014 Transit game as well, every now and then it'll just quit on an iOS device or iTunes, though Windows media player seems to work just fine. It also gets intercut with bits from the RPPR crew's No Soul Left Behind and Iron Heroes (I think) games, though I think that might be an issue that happened during recording rather than extracting/encoding.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
All right list every file you find with a problem and where it first occurs. I'll just copy every episode I can straight from the SD card and redo the entire fucking thing.

crawlkill

• helo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:22:51 PM »
All right list every file you find with a problem and where it first occurs. I'll just copy every episode I can straight from the SD card and redo the entire fucking thing.

Sorry/thanks! They're worth it, listeners, even with audio flaws! Fall Without End breaks up around 1 hour 14 minutes, I think? and then shrieks for a few seconds/crashes iTunes occasionally after that, but there's never more than a couple seconds lost. And I think I said in my first post that the Cthulhu Dark Miskatonic game breaks up at around 40 seconds and then...errr...the time-to-end counter on VLC starts to count up? seriously the playback starts to act like a Cthulhu Dark scenario itself if I hadn't heard problems in Fall Without End I mighta thought it was deliberate

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »
Gen Con 2014 Transit: Hiccups at about 18:22, but keeps playing and the timer counts correctly, and then cuts completely at 34:00. If I skip just past that it plays fine until the next cut out. I'll continue to listen and take down times in case they're needed. Sorry the recordings got kinda jacked up there Ross, hopefully this helps!

crawlkill

• helo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
Zombie Cinema breaks about 90 seconds in as David's introducing his character. Haven't tried it in VLC, in iTunes it just jumps to the next track.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
Try  RPPR-ToC-Fall-Without-End-FTC-Fixed now.

Instead of pulling the raw files from the external mac-formatted hard drive, I copied them straight from the sd card it was recorded on. I played a few minutes starting at 1 hour 14 minutes and it seemed fine.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »
RPPR-Cthulhu-Dark-School-Fixed should work - it does not break 40 seconds in.

The problem was definitely using HFS explorer to copy data from the mac drive to the windows machine. The files on the sd cards read fine.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:56:09 PM »
RPPR-Zombie-Cinema-Fixed should work - it does not break 90 seconds in.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 11:55:24 PM »
RPPR-Base-Raiders-Transit-Gencon2014-Fixed should work.

Wyrdling

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 12:49:08 AM »
Home Invasion cuts out towards the end of Toms introduction and seems to include audio bits from other episodes? There is something in there from an Eclipse Phase game, the play test for Calebs game featuring Nine Lives. It starts around 9:12.