Author Topic: GenCon 2015 and the 6th Annual RPPR Fan Meet-up: The Edition Wars Edition  (Read 158618 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Finally, Tad, we'll have to do some Con Survival tips in the upcoming weeks for the unsure and uninitiated. Plus, practice your signature, I've got a copy of Boiling Point you need to sign.
Yes, tips! We should get this up here soon. I'll drift up a revised list of mine with some new stuff in the next few days.

Book signing... must practice signature... must not embarrass self...

Kamen

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
My game is live! Delta Green: Convergence RPG1582288

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
Games I got into:

D&D 5th, Numenera, Delta Green with G. Stolze, 1936 trail of Cthulhu game. Unofficially part of some LARP a friend is running on Friday night too. But I managed to leave Thursday night open for the meetup!

Morbid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
It must be a Delta Green sort of day.

From https://twitter.com/DeltaGreenRPG :

Shane Ivey: I'm running DELTA GREEN: KALI GHATI at GenCon. Sign up for RPG1582626, RPG1582627, or RPG1582625.

Play DELTA GREEN with Greg Stolze at GenCon: RPG1582630, RPG1582629, RPG1582628.

There were still spots in all of them last I checked.  I haven't played with Shane Ivey but got to die in Greg Stolze's "Blacksat" game last year and it was excellent.  Stolze described the "Star Chamber" game way back on Unspeakable! number 5, I think.  If for some weird reason you needed more than "Stolze + Delta Green" you could give that a listen to get a preview.

Kamen

• View Profile
There were still spots in all of them last I checked.  I haven't played with Shane Ivey but got to die in Greg Stolze's "Blacksat" game last year and it was excellent.  Stolze described the "Star Chamber" game way back on Unspeakable! number 5, I think.  If for some weird reason you needed more than "Stolze + Delta Green" you could give that a listen to get a preview.

You died in Blacksat too?! No way! How did you go out? I suffocated in my EVA suit on the space walk.

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
Was Blacksat the one with the weird living anti-matter creatures or whatever? I played in a game with Stolze that went into space, and I'm pretty sure it was DG. I remember feeling like it was similar to Artifact Zero in the "sudden panic scenario with little to no recourse" sense, but maybe we're talking about different games?

Edit: yeah, just checked my GenCon reg emails from last year and I did indeed also play in "Blacksat". I was the lady doctor. I might have survived? I know I at least almost died. I'm not sure how much I liked it as a scenario, but Greg did a good job of running it for what it was.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:42:24 AM by AmishNinja »

Kamen

• View Profile
From what I gathered between playing in Blacksat and the DG panels last year, Greg Stolze is working on a set of short scenarios that act as both a Delta Green teaching aide and as background for Delta Green characters. So you'd run your group through Blacksat and a few other one-shots, scoop up the damaged, but still functional, survivors and have DG recruit them for your campaign.

As from the scenario itself, I thought it was pretty fun, and there's nothing quite as hilarious as Greg Stolze leaning over, flipping your character sheet over, and quietly saying "You're dead now," while the rest of the table is freaking out on what to do.

Morbid

• View Profile
Ha, it's either a small world or the correlation between Delta Green/RPPR fans is very strong.  Anyways, I was in the Saturday  Blacksat game, played the Navy pilot.  I ended up missing like three of the space-suit operation rolls (in a row) and drifting off into space in the end.  The game included one of my favorite bits of narration for a failed roll, where Stolze turned to me and said, "You do not yet know that your oxygen supply isn't hooked up properly and you have a few minutes of oxygen at most." and then turned to deal with another player while I reflected on that. 

I think we had a 60% survival rate on our run through; both people who went into space died, along with the NPC.  I think at least one of the people on the ship ended up crazy.  My feeling was that it could've gone better if there had been less panic and looking at the thing we weren't supposed to look at.. I did enjoy the scenario, partly because the monster was pretty weird. 

I liked the idea of the tutorial series of missions for DG a lot, with the survivors at the end potentially making your "real" Delta Green cell for a longer game.  I'll probably steal that idea for when I run a longer DG series.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:41:01 AM by Morbid »

BellaJen

• View Profile
    • Eclectic Eccentricities - Where I make Dice into things you can wear!
Two weeks from now we'll be on the road driving...driving...driving...then eventually getting there!   EEEEPP!!! Nerves really kicking up now. Can't wait to get to hang out with folks again. I saw the official meetup is at 6 on Thursday night. George and I will have to rush out of the hall since it doesn't close until 6 itself. We hope everyone will still be together when we get there at least for a little bit.  ;D
Will we be using the same GroupMe as last year? I know there were some issues involving late night messages and the near death of Caleb's phone if I recall.  ;)

Also our booth is #2432, people are welcome to stop by and hang out during hall hours. We'll have a small amount of space for people to sit and rest a bit.
So I make neat things out of dice. http://www.etsy.com/shop/eccerose

Obligatory Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/eccerose

Kamen

• View Profile
I believe the current GroupMe plan is one for General Chat and one for Announcements.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
The grand return of the ever increasing GenCon tips!

Here's some things to consider:

• If you are staying in an off-site hotel you will likely be spending between five and twelve hours in the convention hall and surrounding areas. Consider this when making purchases. If you buy something large at the beginning of the day you'll have to carry it around. This is unpleasant in general but also increases the chances of something happening to your purchase or it being misplaced or stolen. Consider saving large or delicate purchases until near the time you plan to return to your hotel.
  • Farther, if you are going to be at the hall for a long period (again, between five and twelve hours sometimes) you need to consider dress. Indianapolis tends to be hot in the summer and while the hall itself is conditioned it can still get very hot due to the mass of human presense. Outside will nearly always be hot and you will have to pass through non-air conditioned hallways even if you avoid the streets. Consider loose fitting, light clothing, favoring shorts and t-shirts or other cool clothes and remember to hydrate often either from the fountains, water coolers, your own supply, or the provided ice water many of the attatched hotels provide.
  • Related to the above tendency to sweat in the heat know this: you will begin to smell after a few hours as will the area around you. Be considerate to yourself and others by taking a break to clean up. If you are staying close by consider returning to your room to change undergarments and/or reapply deodorant and/or shower. Showering is preferable, especially if the weather is currently dry, it will help you rehydrate. If you are staying in an outlaying hotel than consider what I refer to as a "Con Shower" (more often known at the "Hooker Shower"). This is simple: use one of the restroom stalls at the convention hall and either with moist papertowels from the restroom or with wipes you have brought (many brands are available in small packs of three to five such as baby wipes) to briefly clean under the arms, the crotch, and any other heavily perspiring areas and reapplying deodorant.
  • Mentioned this a few times but to restate: seriously, you cannot have too much deodorant: it will keep you more pleasant and help fight the smell of others around you who might not be so considerate. Note that I'm assuming you use unscented deodorant. Products with powerful smells can make things just as bad (ie. too much Axe 'body spray').
  • Remember to eat during the day. Try to do two meals and a few snacks over the day if you can. Snacks can be purchases from vendors at the convention hall but are fairly expensive and of low quality. Exterior vendors, such as foodtrucks, are good for meals on site and many great resturants are in the area. You can also go to the nearby mall's food court for quicker, cheaper food. Possibly the best option is to go to a market near your hotel (off site) or the CVS near the convention center and pick up a few things such as snack bars or beef jerky, something you can easily carry with you.
  • Pace yourself. The convention hall is huge. Crossing the exhibition hall alone is more than a city block to say nothing of walking to connecting facilities. You might walk several miles over the course of a day and not all nerds are up for that. Take things slow and do not think you can rush from one event to another: plan to take fifteen or twenty minutes at least for transit.
  • Much like when dealing with car traffic, try to think about human traffic. It is very possible to get stuck behind a group of people or especially wide individuals and that's without considerations like bags sticking out or costumes that extend beyond the normal human frame. Rushing through a crowd can result in collisions and that can lead to surprisingly serious injuries. Keep to a reasonable pace and plan ahead; leave early to allow for delays when time is a concern.
  • Speaking of transit: if you are staying at an outer hotel make sure to check shuttle services. Many of the hotels have a shuttle that runs to the convention center. Grab a copy of that schedule to keep on your person or write down the times for departures from both your hotel and the convention center. It's between five and ten miles for the outer places; if you miss a shuttle ride and have to take a cab then it can run you twenty to thirty dollars. If you're with a group you can break that up a little though.
  • If you are using local transport and somehow have a driver with a car, the front of the convention center, the northwest corner by the statue of the snowman looking guys, is an excellent place for drop offs and pick ups. Using the Marriott directly across the street is also a great solution: the hotel has a circle that has access to the main street and the side street, allowing for vehicles to avoid the main road all together and for quick and easy pick ups.

Changing subjects slightly, let's discuss main hall things:

• The hall doesn't open until around 10am. On the first day there will be a HUGE crowd waiting to get in. Be willing to either wait in a large crowd or come at 10:15am, when everyone will have filtered in.
    By the same token don't try to pass through the main hallway around 10am, it's virtually impassable due to the crowd.
  • As stated, the main hall is freakin' huge but it's pathways vary in sizes. There are only a few "main" roads which are wide enough to allow four or five people to walk abreast. The "normal" paths let two or three people walk comfortably. This becomes complicated due to the nature of the convention: people will stop infront of you, sometimes extremely abruptly, in order to look at something at a booth.
    Avoid doing this yourself if at all possible. Look behind you, slow to a stop, and move as close to the booth as you are able or step into it's browsing area, which many of them have.
  • As a courtesy: do not cut through booths unless you have to. Some booths are open on multiple sides and can be walked through, allowing you to cut corners. Out of respect for the people running the booth and anyone using it don't cut across unless traffic is literally blocked (which can happen).
  • When you stop to look at a booth, try to be aware of traffic around you. If you have a backpack on or are carrying something long, try to put them down at your feet so that they do no protrude out behind you. This will make it a little easier for people to pass you without compressing the passage way too much.
  • Treat the walk-ways like you would the road: keep to the right; turn into the nearest possible lane; yield to pedastrians (i.e. small children, strollers, handicapped individuals); and check before turning across 'traffic'.
  • Learn to go around. It is sometimes faster and less stressful to go a 'block' or two out of your way and come around than it is to try and go directly through.

And some general tips:

• No, but seriously, keep deodorant on you. Apply liberally. It will make people like you more, if only because you aren't adding to the problem.
  • If you are using will call to pick up your tickets and badge try to come Wednesday evening, it's a much smaller line. If you have to come Thursday try to come early, the line is massive. Read the signs: spending time in the wrong line will really mess up your day. If you do show up and there's a big line, get into it! It isn't going to shrink anytime soon and it will move fairly quickly.
  • GenCon isn't packed with costumes but you will see plenty of people dressed up. People in costumes are often very receptive to positive comments on their outfit and to quick pictures. If you are in the exhibition hall just ask them to step to the side for a quick picture. If you are in the main hallways outside of exhibition than there will be plenty of space and costumed individuals will often gather in the halls. Again, they are generally receptive to being photographed. Approach them calmly and wait for their attention. If they are posing for someone else or are engaged in a conversation than wait politely until they can give you their attention. If you are outside the convention center be respectful, as above, and try not to interrupt people during their activites (i.e. if someone is having lunch).
    Be aware that they might declined to pose for a picture. Remember that they are entirely free to do so: they do not owe you or anyone else anything. They might be tired or on their way to an event. Do not hassell them. They are people, not cartoons or programs, and deserve the same respect that everyone else deserves.
  • If you find yourself confused or lost, ask someone for help. Volunteers are there to help out so focus on them but you can also try asking some random folks. Nerds are more introverted by nature but it's GenCon: we're all in the same boat. Don't be too afraid to ask a random stranger if you need help or directions, chances are good someone nearby know where you need to go.

RPPR Meet-up and gathering tips:
  • This might sound a bit weird: you will not like everyone else who is an RPPR fan. It's just the truth. Not everyone who liked RPPR shares the same likes, dislikes, or outlook socially or politically. Not everyone has the same social graces. Simple fact: given the size of the meet-up there is likely going to be someone there who you do not like. Maybe they just rub you the wronf way. Please keep this to yourself. Extend to that person or those people the courtesy of a polite gathering. If they aren't causing trouble for the group than just let it go.
  • We get things out of order. The episodes and actual plays are often in the distant past for the RPPR crew. They won't always remember what they said or did in a given game. If you want to talk about a specific event try to frame it for them and understand if they happen to not remember the specifics.
  • When using the Group Me try and be clear. Remember that alot of people will be using it and it can get confusing so, when possible, try to be as clear and effective in communication as you can. If you are hosting an event or game, state clearly where it is. If you want to attend, say so directly. Clarity saves time and frustration.

There's alot more to know but I think that covers the big stuff as I know it.

I don't know much of anything about the night life or party rules for GenCon so anybody who does feel free to chime in.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:08:06 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Kamen

• View Profile
Some smaller tips to piggy back on Tad's

• Baby powder is a godsend. Apply liberally to locations that may rub, chafe, or sweat from large amounts of walking and movement.
  • Bathe! It can never be understated, but please bathe, freshen up, and/or reapply deodorant when ever possible. A travel size deodorant/antiperspirant is an excellent addition to any messenger bag or backpack.
  • Speaking of backpacks, if you stop at a booth in the Exhibit hall, especially on a high-traffic lane, please be courteous and move your bag into a position where it doesn't stick out into the aisle. Setting it at or on your feet helps you keep an eye on it and keeps people from running into your bag.
  • Shoes are another important con item. I recommend bringing two pairs of shoes, preferably ones that you would feel comfortable wearing for long periods of time and walking around in. Swap between them every day to allow them to dry out from your sweaty feets so they don't get extra stinky and uncomfortable!

Tim

• View Profile
I believe (but would reconfirm once you are on the ground) that taxi's doing point to point travel in downtown area are pretty cheap. My memory was it might have been a flat fee of $5 until you got out of a certain range. I caught taxis well after 2AM with out problem.

In general the service people I talked to quite enjoyed having GenCon in town. Two different taxi drivers told me there was competition to drive during the convention because everyone was nice, no one was too drunk, and people were pretty good tippers.

This thread is killing me cause I will not be able to make it this year but hopefully will be able to go next year.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
I believe (but would reconfirm once you are on the ground) that taxi's doing point to point travel in downtown area are pretty cheap. My memory was it might have been a flat fee of $5 until you got out of a certain range. I caught taxis well after 2AM with out problem.

In general the service people I talked to quite enjoyed having GenCon in town. Two different taxi drivers told me there was competition to drive during the convention because everyone was nice, no one was too drunk, and people were pretty good tippers.

This thread is killing me cause I will not be able to make it this year but hopefully will be able to go next year.

noooooooooo

I will miss you (and your gifts of high quality booze)

ok, I will miss the booze

it was good

but you were pretty cool

mainly because of the free booze

but I'm sure you have other quality traits

like, uh, your generosity