General Category > Role Playing Public Radio Podcast

Ideas for quick games to design

<< < (2/5) > >>

Gorkamorka:

--- Quote from: clockworkjoe on January 11, 2015, 11:21:59 PM ---3. A card game version of Killsplosion - build up combos to blow up or outshoot your rivals to get the mcguffin and look more badass doing it.

--- End quote ---

This one sounds like most fun.  But at the same time it sounds like the most costly one to get to market.

D6xD6 - Chris:

--- Quote from: Gorkamorka on January 13, 2015, 03:11:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: clockworkjoe on January 11, 2015, 11:21:59 PM ---3. A card game version of Killsplosion - build up combos to blow up or outshoot your rivals to get the mcguffin and look more badass doing it.

--- End quote ---

This one sounds like most fun.  But at the same time it sounds like the most costly one to get to market.

--- End quote ---

DriveThruCards offers affordable print-on-demand services.  A small Kickstarter to pay for the art and initial print-run for backers would be plenty sufficient.

Gorkamorka:

--- Quote from: PaulyMuttonchops on January 13, 2015, 07:25:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: Gorkamorka on January 13, 2015, 03:11:00 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

DriveThruCards offers affordable print-on-demand services.  A small Kickstarter to pay for the art and initial print-run for backers would be plenty sufficient.

--- End quote ---

Yes. 

But how many of RPPR sales at the moment are PDFs?  and how many of those would not be willing to pay for non electronic material (Because it's more expensive)
Also many of those PDF people are live overseas?  How many of those people would want to pay for shipping and import taxes?

These are questions I would be asking myself if I was doing the math on this.

But I like the idea of Killsplosion card game.  It sounds like an excellent "mess with your buddy" game.

D6xD6 - Chris:
True.  There is always the option of Print and Play, but I have no idea how popular those are.

Tim:
From my very outsider to the game industry vantage point I suspect it matters what your end goal is.

If you are looking for a prestige project that not many people will actually play but that could show off some interesting game design ideas/concepts I think that is item 1. I personally like this idea the most but not sure how large an audience it is.

If you are looking for a game that could appeal to more of the general RPG players I think you go for option 2. I am not saying the game will be simple but the one line pitch makes me think it would be more accessible than option 1.

If you are looking for something that could have a chance to be commercially viable on a larger scale then you go for item 3. There is certainly a market for screw your neighbor card games with cute/fun art outside the RPG world. Of course it is not a slam dunk, you need a good game (well maybe not - I think Munchkin is not a great game but it prints money because it is cute) and more than a little luck but it could have a larger audience and maybe put a few dollars into your pocket and who knows if your game is good and you are very lucky maybe more than a few dollars. Could also be interesting from a resume standpoint to get experience in making a card game.

Anyway as stated I personally like option 1 the best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version