Author Topic: Need a system for my game...  (Read 8405 times)

fearjunkie

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Need a system for my game...
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
So I've been kicking around an idea for a high-action anime-inspired RPG in my head. The basic premise is that there's a high school that has magical girls, super-powered martial artists, sword fighters, and other anime hero archetypes making up a large portion of the student body. As a result, I'll need a system that can handle a lot of action and superpowers. At first I was thinking Savage Worlds, but I'm starting to think about using Strange Fate like Ross did with Base Raiders. What do you guys think?

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
Re: Need a system for my game...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
You could use Strange Fate.But if your players are creative and not prone to abusing the vagaries of a flexible rules-light system, I highly recommend Fate Accelerated. It would be extremely easy to run and play.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

fearjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »
Well, it's not a question of my own group-I want to get this game/setting published and want to know what the best framework for this would be.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:38:17 PM by fearjunkie »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »
Strange Fate is an OGL (open game license) system so anyone can use it. Savage Worlds is not OGL. The first key question is do you want to make a setting or a stand alone game?

fearjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:34 AM »
I'm more familiar with Savage Worlds so I'd like to make it a setting. But if SW isn't OGL, will that be a problem?

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 12:05:30 PM »
So Pinnacle Entertainment Group is pretty chill about fan settings for Savage Worlds, so long as they are free to everybody. If you wanted to make a Savage Worlds setting and profit from it you would have to license the system, which is technically free. As shown on their Licensing page if you wish to make a Savage Worlds Licensed product you must contact them with examples of your work and you overall plan, they'll work with you from there and as long as you meet their criteria you can publish your work.

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »
So I've been kicking around an idea for a high-action anime-inspired RPG in my head. The basic premise is that there's a high school that has magical girls, super-powered martial artists, sword fighters, and other anime hero archetypes making up a large portion of the student body. As a result, I'll need a system that can handle a lot of action and superpowers. At first I was thinking Savage Worlds, but I'm starting to think about using Strange Fate like Ross did with Base Raiders. What do you guys think?

*obnoxious cough*

Granted it might not have the mechanical depth you're looking for, but it could be a good starting point.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:40:17 AM »
I tend to like Fate more than Savage Worlds so I'd say go with that. Otherwise ORE Wild Talents is intended to do indeed this (may want to grab the bigger bad rules from Monsters I think).

My other thoughts is that with Fate you get to make the players fight to add different aspects to different parts of the school and defend these aspects from other cliques which strikes me as a nifty scenario bit.

EndersLegend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
If you're still looking for a system you might check out Big Eyes Small Mouth which is designed around allowing you to play anime like games. It's a point buy system somewhat like Mutants & Masterminds where you take effects and bonus features to those effects to create powers, weapons, vehicles, etc.