Author Topic: Your Favorite Die  (Read 16827 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Your Favorite Die
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
Gamers and dice have a long, intimate relationship. Some of us are commited to a single set while others like to play the field and some live off of the harems of their friends.

I myself have four seperate dice sets for my DnD games, 3 player sets and 1 DM set which are mine and mine alone, along with the motley collection of generics I offer to others.

There is also a personal connection to shapes and styles. Solid colored dice with some shading appeal to me which is a problem because recently there's been a rash of two color swirled dice in my local shop.

Dispite 8 being my favorite number I dislike d8s. I find them flat and dull.

My favorite die type at the moment is a really sharp edged d20. I love the definite feel they have to their edge, unlike the rounder edged ones that make up my older collection. Nothing makes me more confident in my attack rolls than feeling that bold, firm, triangular edge around the number 20.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Die
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »
By far, my favorite die due to it's geometrical design is the d12.

Unfortunately, it is the most under-used die in the bowl.  :'(
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
True. Luckily, D&D 4E has been kinder to the d12. At least three weapons have d12 damage ratings and the new system of multiplying dice based on damage rating means that you rolls more d12s than ever before!

In fact, in a current 4E game I'm in, two players are using d12s, one with a greataxe and the other a fullblade.

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
Very nice!    (said in my best Borat accent)   ;D
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
I have 3 actual sets of dice, 2 the same watery blue I have for players from the D&D 4e dice set (which have been dubbed 'Unluckies') and a fiery red set I use when I need a dice my random assortment fails to produce the needed dice.

My all time favorite dice is my first d20 which I got out of the Heroscape board game.  It's slightly smaller, heavier and the number assortment is just a tad different than regular d20's, but it have the perfect rolls for the situation.  Rarely do I ever have to fudge a die roll from it.  If a player needs to get hit, it hits.  If a monster needs to miss, it misses.

That and I have aboot 1k d6's from playing Warhammer 40k and other d6 systems.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

bigznak

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:58:26 PM »
My Camo green D20 has been my staple D20 for a long time.  That D20 and I have a love hate relationship.  It does good sometimes, and other times I want to throw it across the room.

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »
I used to have a d20 from my old old old old D&D red box that had such soft plastic that the corners soon wore off, and it nearly became a round ball.   ;D

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »
I used to have a d20 from my old old old old D&D red box that had such soft plastic that the corners soon wore off, and it nearly became a round ball.   ;D

Ah, got yourself a d1. That's useful for when Cthulhu attacks.
"He attacks. He rolls the maximum. You die."

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »
I got a set of Game Science dice. Nice and sharp.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
I dislike D4s because they are the only, and I mean only, dice I've found that I can't spin like a top consistently. I have one that is perfectly weighted that I can get to do one full rotation before it falls over. :(
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 10:09:25 PM »
When it comes down to it, I like no die more than a d20. Probably because I've played so many games that use a d20. My favorite d20 is, ironically, the one I use the least. It's the one I got free when I went to the D&D4e launch Game Day. It's smaller than my other d20s and it's plain black numbers on a white die. But it's my favorite because it totally changed my gamer luck. For about...4+ years prior to getting that dice, I had the most horrible horrible luck finding a local tabletop game. I was only in 1 game during that time frame and it was with a group of pretentious arrogant asshats playing GURPS (and I don't like GURPS). When I went to that Game Day and got that dice, my luck changed. We turned the Game Day group into a regular D&D group for a few months before it died, but not long after I got invited to a Star Wars group that I'm still currently engaged in (I like the group, even if I don't want to play Star Wars anymore) and from that group got invited to a Shadowrun game and even before that I found my way into a Dark Heresy game. So even if I almost never actually roll that dice, it's still got fond memories.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41:26 PM »
I don't have that many dice.  Most of them date back to middle school, they're mottled white/gray/black with red numerals.  My middle-school self thought they looked cool...my adult self realized they're fucking impossible to read without peering myopically at them.  I have a set of old lightweight plastic dice that were in the D&D box set that my high school English teacher gave me; I don't generally play with them.  I have two stand-out favorites:
A black d20 (red numerals); it has seen a lot of 2E games.  When the party finally confronted the Evil Necromancer (he'd plagued us for four actual years), this was the die I rolled to have my rogue-assassin backstab that son-of-a-bitch.  Natural 20, oh yeah.
A white d8 (black numerals); for the LONGEST time my druid was the only one in the party capable of casting heals.  This die provided many a CLW/CMW, let me tell you.
My dice, though they are few and varied, all live happily together in a 16-oz travel coffee cup from Bruegger's Bagel Bakery.  The snap-on lid keeps them from expanding to explore the deepest crevices of whatever backpack or messenger bag I happen to lug my gaming stuff around in.

Ooh, also I got two sets of contrasting d6s for my wife.  She teaches high school French and Spanish; she uses them to play a verb conjugation game.  The blue die (red numerals) selects which verb the student has to use; the red die (blue numerals) selects the tense.  I told her I'd get a box of d20s if she wanted to have a giant list of verbs...she hasn't taken me up on it yet.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:46:13 PM by Dawnsteel »
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 03:24:08 AM »
I tend to prefer a rounder edged die, keeping at least on in my hand to fiddle with like a worry stone.  I store all my dice in old wasabi pea cans that I cleaned out.

I recently discovered my main set of dice are missing, so it looks like my clear bourbon-colored dice will see the light of day no more.  That set saw me through a 2 year D&D campaign before I started experiencing my current gamer drought.

By the way, does Chessex still sell those Pound-O-Dice bags?  I bought a buy-one-get-one-free deal on eBay, literally 2 POUNDS OF DICE, further propagating my apparent dice fetish.  Speaking of which, my girlfriend works at Junior Achievement, so she brings home big bags of supplies they don't have any use for every now and then, so she'll unload huge "gifts" of d6's and plastic-chit/tiddlywink-type-things much to my appreciation.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 03:58:22 AM by Sean-o-tron »

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 11:23:49 PM »
I find my self playing with my D10 more then any other dice when sitting around the tabel, and most wepons I go for are D10's. As for the dice that I like the most, Is the giant pool ball+ almost soft ball size D20 we have, Its been known to be droped into meny players laps going for critical nut shots.

arthwollipot

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 09:36:16 PM »
I picked up a Pound O Dice from Chessex.com a while back for my kids. Of course, I took the nicest dice for my own collection.

I still have a complete set of original D&D dice, circa 1977. Most of them are so worn that they never stop rolling.
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.