Author Topic: Red Markets at GenCon/Upcoming Beta  (Read 93539 times)

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Red Markets at GenCon/Upcoming Beta
« on: May 13, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
Red Markets is ready to play. We are six sessions into the macro playtest, and I've got 115 pages of rules ready to go. Things are going well with the RPPR crew, and I’m psyched to run some games for fans. It looks like GenCon scheduling is solidifying, so here’s what I’m thinking:

I’m doing panel talks at 11am and 1pm Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at GenCon (please come!). I need to keep evenings free for the RPPR meet-up, the Posthuman Freelancer meeting, traditional Glancy game, and the off-chance I could convince some experienced designers to try it out. That means Red Markets playtests will start about 2:30 pm and end around 6:30 pm. That will give me time to leave the Crown Plaza, make it to an open play-space coordinated through GroupMe (I feel shitty selling tickets to an unfinished game, and tables might all be taken when we arrive somewhere), and run the game before shuttling off to wherever I need to be that evening. I could also run games Wednesday night (depending on when we get in), or after the RPPR meet up (depending on my GenCon endurance roll).

So Red Markets playtests will be unofficial games, played where space is available, from 2:30-6:30 Thurs-Sat. If you are attending the con and want a spot, let me know. I will offer space as available.

Meanwhile, in the future...

If you want to rules to playtest with your own group, I've been filing away every request. I know who you are if you've already told me. I have the “Playing Red Markets” rules done (well, ready to edit, at least), but I’m writing the GM section as we continue recording the RPPR campaign. Additionally, there are no scenarios written outside of my chicken-scratch notebooks. The full workings of a beta playtest won’t be done until I get the school-year wrapped up, but it will certainly be done before GenCon. So if you’re one of those noble souls and want to try the game with some rando’s at the con, you’ll have the ability to do so. Ross might also be running some after-hours Red Markets adventure, to make sure I’m selling a game and not me as a GM.

Fair warning for those looking to playtest at home: I am asking for some dedication. I don’t have time to parse the rules down into the condensed nuggets offered as betas by big studios, and I don’t want to delay the start of the KS any longer by trying to do so. Running the game will basically require reading 2/3rds of the book in a draft format, having your group make characters or copy pregens, and giving one or two example scenarios a shot. It’ll be a big packet for a playtest, bigger so if you’re group is beautiful enough to try one of the campaign modes.

That said, we've got a bitching character sheet done, along with a bunch of helpful handouts, cheat-sheets, manipulatives, and hard-won advice. I also want to see about distributing a preview AP to playtesters, so they can at least hear the game as I envision it as they parse the text. You should all be able to have fun with at least a session or two before something breaks, and I’m eager to get finished so I can hear everyone’s experiences. More on the closed RPPR forum beta as it develops.
Alright, that’s all. Let me know in the thread if you want A) to play at GenCon or B) copy of a future beta and haven’t messaged me yet.

Thanks!

Alethea

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
Re: Red Markets at GenCon/Upcoming Beta
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »
2 for playing at GenCon please!
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Jacko

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Hrrrrrmmmmmm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
I'd be interested in both options A and B!

My group just finished an Apoc World campaign and we're trying to decide what to do next so that's 5 dedicated people (2 of whom have years of experience as freelance writers for a tabletop RPG) that play every weekend.

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:27:02 PM »
I'd love a copy of the beta. Won't be at Gen Con, sadly.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Zombieneighbours

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 02:30:54 AM »
I would certainly be interested in the playtest document.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »
I'd like to playtest with you. Unfortunately I can only be there Friday afternoon.

Please note me down for playtesting in the future; I have a pair of chuckle heads perfectly suited to playtesting this stuff.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
Definitely volunteering for A), Wed, after the meetup Thur, and Sat are my best times.

I would like to volunteer for B), but I don't know if I'll really get a chance to run it. I have a couple of potential online groups, but my schedule is pretty hectic.

Thorn

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »
As soon as school lets out (officially, the kids have already stopped giving a damn) I should have the time.  I'd be down to playtest.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 08:59:51 PM »
So my schedule appears to be clearing up a bit, which is good and bad. Bad because it could mean less money, but good in that I'll have more time to read and playtest Red Markets! I've one group in the wings and another hopefully brewing, so sign me up!

Darthrex

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »
1 for whatever playtest has room in it please. My schedule is pretty clear right now as I have never even been to Gencon so most of it is just penciled in as "Gawk at all the nerds".
I cast summon pedant.

TMayesing78

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 09:59:36 PM »
I could easily do Wednesday.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 01:04:33 AM »
I am interested in the playtest document.

I cannot playtest it.

I can return it with opinions in 72 hours.

Morbid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
I'd like to try out the GenCon playtest - Friday will be best.

I'd also like to do a playtest with my group, but it would probably be only a session or two.

Capitalocracy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »
Hey, I would very much like to sign up for one B.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 09:32:36 PM »
Gonna be at the Con this year! Would definitely like to try it out if there's a spot.
Liquid Water?