Author Topic: TOC - the Final Revelation - Smoke Bomb preparation  (Read 5695 times)

Quite a Hamful

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
TOC - the Final Revelation - Smoke Bomb preparation
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:34:49 AM »
Hey, long time lurker here, After first hearing about the ‘Narrative dies with you’ ending on the RPPR podcast (http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2015/01/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-110-the-final-revelation-post-mortem/), I finally have the group to inflict it on. I have run into one hiccup, struggling to come up with what cracks in reality will happen after the Rending Box if it is the second one in the sequence. Watchers has the disturbing deformities, just wondering what would be a cool and unnerving unveiling to bring to the players.

For those unfamiliar with campaign, the premise is that a frame narrative of the Friday Group (a group looking for signs and ways to stop an oncoming Apocalypse) go in search of evidence from prior investigations and incidents with the Mythos. Once they find the evidence the players swap characters and play out the previous incident as the session's scenario. Once a scenario is completed the players swap back to the Friday Group having learn't all about the previous case, but now they notice slight changes in their reality. Why is everything looking more worn down and older? Why do I now have a limp? Why does my wife act has if she has never seen me before.

As you can see some really fertile ground for unnerving the players with some of that Cthulhu-flavoured madness we all know and love. Any and all suggestions would be welcome, and of course any notes on how to prepare a Microphone/Smoke Bomb would be welcome.

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
Re: TOC - the Final Revelation - Smoke Bomb preparation
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 10:52:45 PM »
Maybe their food gets weird? When the snacks come around for the Friday Group, the tastes don't seem to match up quite right. Just casually describe the delicious salty cookies and chewy cucumbers. Yum!
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »
Since they haven't actually looked inside the Rending Box they wouldn't get the full whammy that the scenario characters do, but you could mention how everything appears slightly different, and that things in the corner of their eye are just wrong.

Morbid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »
I remember Robin Laws mentioning an idea on an episode of Ken and Robin Talk about Stuff that I think could work:

You know those little floaters that you get in your vision?  They start to form shapes or even be recognizable.  The resulting shapes could be something as obvious as a skull or just little worm-like things wriggling across their vision only to disappear when looking at something else.  Or a fly that looks like it's on the inside of their eye.

Alternatively, they could start to see unsettling patterns (ideally, fitting their backstories or sources of stability) from seemingly random visual noise.  The shadows of trees form silhouettes, cracks in the pavement spell out forgotten words.  And since they are English, the tea leaves should be worst of all.  (There's a China Mieville short story called "Details" that does this sort of imagery.)