Author Topic: Cheating on RPPR with other Actual Plays: Critical Role  (Read 7612 times)

Henry Hankovitch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Cheating on RPPR with other Actual Plays: Critical Role
« on: October 19, 2015, 03:02:20 AM »
So one of the guys in my weekly game says to me, "do you watch Critical Role?"  And then I did.  And it was pretty fucken boss.

It's this 5E D&D actual-play series, with a bunch of professional voice actors.  What really makes it good, though, is that this isn't an "internet celebrities awkwardly play D&D together" sort of thing.  These guys had already been playing together for a long time, and then the Geek & Sundry people suggested making a show out of it.  So they have this really great group dynamic--playing naturally off of each other, genuinely having a good time playing the game.

The only negative I'd say about the show is that, given it's a D&D game, you tend to get these 45-minute long combat sequences that can really drag.  Not really a fault of the players--there's only so much you can do to make dice-rolling and hit points interesting for a third-party viewer.  Everything else is gold, though.

(I did a quick search beforehand and "critical role" didn't come up with any hits on the forum, so I'm hoping there aren't like three different discussions already in progress that I missed...)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating on RPPR with other Actual Plays: Critical Role
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 12:25:46 AM »
I watched this for a bit.

It's a cool diversion but lacks the more character focused stuff I really love in tabletop.

They aren't shy about interacting but I haven't really seen a dramatic scene yet which is probably just my fault for only watching it streaming on twitch.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.