Author Topic: Origins vs GenCon  (Read 12416 times)

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Origins vs GenCon
« on: January 04, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question but I am considering going to Origins this year as opposed to GenCon. I went to GenCon in 2014 and had a lot of fun and have decided I want to do a convention this year but wonder if I should branch out and see something new. GenCon is its own crazy thing but honestly I felt at times like it was too large. I want to go again at some point but I think it would be interesting to go to a different event that still has a lot of folks and fun events to participate in but is not GenCon. My main focus is to play in RPGs although I do some table top gaming as well. I have zero interest in CCGs or miniatures games although I admit it was fun to walk through the halls at GenCon and see the different games I don't have any interest in just to see everyone playing them.

Anyone have thoughts on this or can speak to their own experiences at Origins? Alternatively I am not married to Origins so if anyone has other event recommendations in the US for a mid to large sized game events that take place in the later half of the year I would be interested in hearing about them and your experiences with them.

Alethea

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
Re: Origins vs GenCon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 08:43:13 PM »
Well, if you're looking for a large convention, there's Dragon*Con over labor day weekend. It's not so much a gaming convention though as a lot of science fiction/fantasy/fandom conventions rolled into one. There's RPGs happening, but they're dwarfed by the board gaming, CCGs, miniatures, and Twilight Imperium game (singular - one game of Twilight Imperium played from start to finish over five days) happening in the same area of the hotel. Plus the EFF, skeptics, YA, Wheel of Time, British media, American TV, costuming, etc. etc. etc. conventions happening in the other five hotels in the area. The dealers' room is enormous by the way. Two rooms technically. And by rooms I mean convention floors.

Dragon*Con is less a convention you do than a convention you plan which convention within a convention you're doing that year ahead of time. Which might be costume watching the whole con if that's your thing.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 09:26:35 PM »
While I can't speak of Origins (though I hope to at least hit it up for one day this year,) I do go to Columbus a couple times a year, and it is a really nice city. The Ohio State University takes up a huge chunk of the city, which means there's a lot of restaurants and things to do in downtown. For us nerds, OSU also has the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum, one of the largest collections of comic books / comic strips / manga / editorial comics / etc. If you're willing to drive, there's also a lot to do in Cincinnati or the Cleveland/Akron/Canton metroplex as well.

I really should go to Origins more often, but usually around the time I think about going to conventions is shortly before they take place. I'm already in planning mode for GenCon, but the choice is more because I've never been to GenCon and to meet the RPPR crew and fans.
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:16:51 PM »
Origins is fun.  It isn't nearly as big, but that isn't a bad thing.  It is also easy to get into and out of.  It is a good pregame warmup before GenCon

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:57 PM »
Well I am coming from the West coast and between work and family and my wallet I fear I would not be able to attend both (would that I could). Still leaning towards checking out Origins but need to mull it over a bit more.

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »
I like the fact that you can actually talk to game designers at Origins without feeling like you are holding up a line.  Ken Hite was just standing around doing nothing when I approached him. 

Astro

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »
I've been to both cons fairly regularly. I attend GenCon just as a gamer but I actually assist with the Amtgard demo at Origins almost every year.

I enjoy them both but not at all equally. Origins is far smaller and less fun. There are less activities to do, the dealers hall is less diverse, and while I personally love Columbus there is far less to do in the downtown area compared to Indianapolis. If you do attend Origins I do recommend going down the short north and hitting up Mikey's late night slice. Great pizza open late.