Author Topic: GenCon 2016 and the 7th Annual RPPR Fan Meet-up: The Fans Awaken  (Read 43891 times)

The Lost Carol

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
With January 22nd approaching, we're less than 2 weeks away from Badge Pre-Registration for GenCon 2016, Hotel Registration 2 days later on the 24th, and 7 months away from the con itself. With the RPPR Fan Meet-up continuing to grow, as well as the con itself, this will be the biggest GenCon yet. This year, per the hosts, the Meet-Up this year will likely be its own official event.

I'm planning on coming this year for my first GenCon, and am very excited! The RPPR crew and ya'll in the threads make it sound like GenCon really is the best four days in (table top & board) gaming!

So as always, an official thread should be good to keep things contained; we'll post RPPR events and other intel. Questions? Suggestions for events to attend or things to do in Indy? General con advice? Links to your Ross Payton impersonation contest clips? This is the thread for you.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:58:47 PM by The Lost Carol »
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

Thorn

• View Profile
Re: GenCon 2016 and the 7th Annual RPPR Fan Meet-up: The Fans Awaken
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »
Doesn't hotel registration start on the 28th?

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »

Sunday the 24th at noon.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:48:57 PM »
Thank you.

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »

Sunday the 24th at noon.

Thanks! Hopefully the odds will be in our favor for some decent rooms.
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

FlapjacksOfWar

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »
Wait I have to send in clips of my Ross Payton impressions? I thought this would be like a live thing with an audience. Im out. If I cant embarrass myself publicly in front of my peers whats the point? D:

Also ill be bringing Red Dragon Inn is we want to try and get a large group game going with actual alcohol or something similar (Coke for Tom :p ) I think I can currently support a 20 person game with all my expansions? But that would be madness

Redroverone

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:36:41 PM »
Definitely interested! Had no idea there was stuff going on all the time I was listening to podcasts until Caleb said something at one of the panels. Was GMing, so had a sad I missed it all.

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:31:37 PM »
Wait I have to send in clips of my Ross Payton impressions? I thought this would be like a live thing with an audience. Im out. If I cant embarrass myself publicly in front of my peers whats the point? D:

No, see, we need to practice. We cannot let Ross win his own impersonation contest. We must all strive to be the best Rosses we can be.

Also ill be bringing Red Dragon Inn is we want to try and get a large group game going with actual alcohol or something similar (Coke for Tom :p ) I think I can currently support a 20 person game with all my expansions? But that would be madness

But isn't that the point of GenCon? Blowing past the point of reason? Sounds like fun.

Don't forget, tomorrow's pre-registration for badges!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
For anyone who doesn't know, the system appears to be the random timing again.

You must buy a badge to take part in hotel registration. If you have a badge then when hotel registration opens on Sunday you will be given a random time you can use the system. I may be minutes or it might be hours so be prepared to wait for awhile.

There are lots of downtown options this year, which is great, but demand is still way ahead of supply so if you are registering for yourself make sure to have a back-up plan. For the best chances, try to go in with a group of allies. The more badges the more chances at a short time.

Good luck everybody! Looking forward to seeing a big turn out this year.

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »
Already grabbed my four day pass.  Thanks for all the help guys.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 10:47:38 PM »
Sadly, despite efforts otherwise, I will be staying at an off-site hotel this year. Draw a time of slightly over an hour so all of the downtown stuff was gone by the time I was able to get into the system.

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 12:56:39 AM »
Sadly, despite efforts otherwise, I will be staying at an off-site hotel this year. Draw a time of slightly over an hour so all of the downtown stuff was gone by the time I was able to get into the system.

I feel your pain sir, I'm about 10 miles out. Looks like I'll be setting aside money for cab fair.

I wonder if they take RPPR Bills? XD
(Which reminds me...)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:59:07 AM by Review Cultist »
Liquid Water?

FuzzyDan

• Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 03:26:35 AM »
Again, I advise those who did not score a downtown hotel on Day 1 keep checking up through the days before the $50 cancellation fee period is over.  I was on the tail end of hour one last year and spamming the refresh button got me a room at the JW as someone cancelled theirs.

Also the GenCon forums will have people attempting to shuck their overbooking to avoid fees, so keep an eye there.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:24 AM »
Again, I advise those who did not score a downtown hotel on Day 1 keep checking up through the days before the $50 cancellation fee period is over.  I was on the tail end of hour one last year and spamming the refresh button got me a room at the JW as someone cancelled theirs.

Also the GenCon forums will have people attempting to shuck their overbooking to avoid fees, so keep an eye there.

Great tip, thanks Dan!

Our group also got in the 10 mile radius, so that might be wise to see if we can get closer.

'Course if enough people are that far out we could all pitch in on a party bus to ferry us to and from lol

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 09:54:10 PM »
I lucked out this year and I'm staying about a block away.  If anything changes and I can't go, I'll be sure to let you guys know.