Author Topic: GenCon 2016 and the 7th Annual RPPR Fan Meet-up: The Fans Awaken  (Read 43903 times)

Mr. Purple

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: GenCon 2016 and the 7th Annual RPPR Fan Meet-up: The Fans Awaken
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »
Failing everything else, Trivago still has some rooms showing close-ish. They are all pay-in-advance, but it's an option if needed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

"Don't read that book, that's where they keep the madness!"

FlapjacksOfWar

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 07:44:03 PM »
Im staying at the airport so Ill either use the shuttles or one of the parking staion things. I need my car to haul all the gaming booze >_>

Astro

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 11:18:04 PM »
I'm gonna try really hard to make it to GenCon since I missed the last one. I'm getting married this year so finances might be kinda tight.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:21:08 PM by Astro »

The Lost Carol

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 01:18:57 PM »
Well, after the rush of reserving hotel rooms we're getting ever closer to August. Event registration starts in May 15th (and the week before is when the event list will be posted) and we have until June 19th to purchase badges at pre-registration prices.

One question I've had that I don't think I've ever seen addressed concerns the event tickets. I understand the difference between general tickets and specific tickets (specific tickets are for specific events that you have to 'pre-register for' by getting the tickets, whereas general tickets get you into any event that accepts general tickets and/or if there's extra space in a specific event where they will accept a generic.)

But once you've purchased specific event tickets, how many genetic tickets is a good amount? I'm working on my GenCon budget, and it seems like it would be easy to over purchase generics, and since they're only refundable as 'system credit' I want to purchase enough without being too frugal.
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 04:44:51 PM »
How many generic tickets to buy depends entirely on one thing: Do you plan to try and get into events you did not book ahead of time?

If you don't plan to try and walk into events and games than you flat out do not need generic tickets.

My first year I bought about twenty dollars worth and used 4 dollars worth. I haven't bought any generics at all since my second year. Additionally, I believe generics can actually be purchased on site in the event you change your mind.

As a rule; I think that six generics (12 dollars worth) would do you fairly well. That let's you squeeze into three normal games or two above average games. If you want to look into more complex things like classes or workshops (which usually run in the $8 to $16 dollar range) than push it up to $20 dollars worthy, ten tickets.

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:06 PM »
How many generic tickets to buy depends entirely on one thing: Do you plan to try and get into events you did not book ahead of time?

If you don't plan to try and walk into events and games than you flat out do not need generic tickets.

My first year I bought about twenty dollars worth and used 4 dollars worth. I haven't bought any generics at all since my second year. Additionally, I believe generics can actually be purchased on site in the event you change your mind.

As a rule; I think that six generics (12 dollars worth) would do you fairly well. That let's you squeeze into three normal games or two above average games. If you want to look into more complex things like classes or workshops (which usually run in the $8 to $16 dollar range) than push it up to $20 dollars worthy, ten tickets.

Ah, thanks! For some reason with all the things that everyone talks about doing it made me feel like I was going to need to pour a lot of money into tickets. I guess that means it pays to check the event list and apply for the stuff that needs specifics as soon as possible, and to not rely so hard on generics.
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

Mr. Purple

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 11:17:13 PM »
The other thing to remember is that you can take Generics back and get a decent refund on them if you overbuy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

"Don't read that book, that's where they keep the madness!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 05:09:08 PM »
I have submitted an event for a RPPR panel and meetup on Friday at 7 pm to 9 pm. When it gets approved, I'll talk about it on the podcast and so forth.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »
After seven years we're finally official. Hurrah!

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 01:25:24 PM »
From today (04/26/2016) it is now 100 days 'til Gencon 2016. You've still got a little under two months to buy passes at the pre-registration prices, and we have a few weeks until you can start buying tickets for events.

Seems unreal that we're so close! Still so excited!

Graywalker

• The Cosplayer from cosplay-land
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 04:31:54 AM »
To all those who are planning on, or interested in, going to True Dungeon at GenCon this year;  Event registration is coming up on the 15th and I wanted make sure we all know who is going and what time slots we should get. True Dungeon tickets will go very quick once registration opens, Thursday time slots were gone within the hour last year, and with each ticket costing $56 apiece, expensive but worth the cost in my opinion.

I did back-to-back sessions last year. Both the combat and puzzle versions can be quick or time consuming depending on the room we go into. Melee combat is fairly easy, shuffle-boarding token sliders onto a monster outline. Magic is a memorization tests where casting a spell requires you to correctly reply to the GM of the rooms question to make the spell work. I'm opening for any time slot on any of the 4 days they have listed.

True Dungeon recently sent out an email linking to the old GenCon event listing for their events, link listed below. I tried to look over the current version earlier today but only got the listing for Thursday only. Down to 84 days until GenCon. Really looking forward to it and seeing everyone again.

https://www.gencon.com/events/search?event_type=TDA+-+True+Dungeon+Adventures&fri=true&sat=true&sun=true&thur=true&wed=true

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »
@Graywalker

I'd be interested. As a football nerd as well as a gaming nerd LARPing in Lucas Oil Stadium is too good to pass up. Do you have to cosplay, though? Not sure if I'm bringing a costume to GenCon.

Another general quedtion; just took a look at the event list and it's... Intimidatingly long. So much stuff to do! What are some good means of blocking time? Do you plan for events and try to commit to as much as you can? Leave a lot of free time available? I want to plan wisely, but it seems absurdly easy to over commit. I'm already starting to formulate an itinerary in Excel...

Graywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 02:35:21 PM »
@The Lost Carol

You do not have to Cosplay, it's optional. The people I "partied" with last year just wore normal clothing. I dressed up like a pirate though (Thank you Jan for the pirate crown and shoulder pads! I still have them!)

As for blocking events, find the events you want to do and then look back over them to "trim the fat" as it were, leaving you with the schedule you want. I personally like to have a lot of free time and enjoy cursing around so I don't book much most of the time.

Also, If you don't have the RPPR GroupMe yet make sure you do for GenCon. Best way to know what everyone connected with RPPR is doing around GenCon and who has free time to game or just hang out.

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 07:04:15 PM »
@Greywalker

I'm interested in True Dungeon; I'd prefer afternoon slots, but am open to any day, any time
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Graywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 02:53:58 AM »
@ Alethea

Sweet!

I'm looking at the days below for True Dungeon. Not sure what everyone else thinks but since I haven't seen a mention of time or day I'll post a proposed day and time slot. The first is the puzzle variant and the second is combat. Together it will be $112.

Into the DeeperDark: https://www.gencon.com/events/95727
Behold Her Majesty: https://www.gencon.com/events/95968