Author Topic: Caleb's Fantasy Civ Building Idea  (Read 9369 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Caleb's Fantasy Civ Building Idea
« on: February 18, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
Caleb has talked in a few of the episodes (starting with "Campaigns I Shan't Be Running") about the idea he had for a fantasy game about rebuilding a culture/society after they free themselves from slavery.  It really piqued my interest, at least as an intellectual exercise, for doing some of the planning.  In that I was wondering what suggestions people might have or recommendations for any resources to look through about how to run interesting communities (thinking also of the episode about community building).  Any suggestions?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Caleb's Fantasy Civ Building Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
There's plenty of documentaries about the start of early Civilizations to get some real world material to work with. I'd focus on some modern resources since it'd be a fantasy game rather than real-life. Look at guides for starting and running Kickstarters, podcasts, or YouTube channels for some modern interpretations of how to start and build a following.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:06:01 PM »
I would look at slave rebellions and communities in the New World - tons of historical examples in Central and South America, for example.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 06:16:53 PM »
Also the Arab Spring. Current day Egypt in particular is an ongoing experiment with returning order to a disjointed system and the problems that can quickly build up if the wrong people are in charge.